MK1 arcade missing something

omied

I noticed when I played MK1 in the arcades, there was some things missing from the so called Arcade Perfect port editions that came out, whether it was from a kollecter's edition or MKAK. The one thing missing that always bothered me was when you would block and someone threw something at you, a spear or kano's blade, blood would still come out from the character blocking. For some reason, I dont find that happening in any of the arcade port editions aside from the arcade machine itself. Anyone remember seeing something like that?

That never happened in any version of the coin-op.

If you saw that in the arcade, you either imagined it or you saw one of the many hacked ROMs that was floating around at the time. No official Midway release ever had blood from moves that were successfully blocked.

I know it sounds crazy but I swear I saw it. It was an arcade machine at a roller rink in Long Island, NY.

I believe you.

There were many hacked MK ROMs floating around when the game was popular that added certain things not in the actual game.

I don't know what they all had, but blood on blocked moves sounds like something that would have been reasonable and easy to add. I dealt with MK coin-ops and I can assure you that there is no option or dipswitch to do this on any official Midway release.

I believe you.

There were many hacked MK ROMs floating around when the game was popular that added certain things not in the actual game.

I don't know what they all had, but blood on blocked moves sounds like something that would have been reasonable and easy to add. I dealt with MK coin-ops and I can assure you that there is no option or dipswitch to do this on any official Midway release.

Interesting. I've always thought about it and that was the first test I would give all the arcade port editions to see if they were really arcade perfect. Now I know for fact that it wasnt in the original arcade port. I guess that arcade machine was a hack. How would they do such a thing? The machine also showed fatalities in the demo fights, was that in the original arcade machines?

No, fatalities were never in the demo fights. In fact, it was an extremely rare occurrence for the AI to ever perform a fatality on a human opponent, though I am pretty sure I have seen it happen a couple of times (don't quote me on that, I know I saw MKII do it, but I can't recall for sure if the computer ever did in in MK1).

I don't know exactly how hacks work, but there have always been bootleg ROMS of popular coin-ops dating back to Pac-Man and probably even before that.

No, fatalities were never in the demo fights. In fact, it was an extremely rare occurrence for the AI to ever perform a fatality on a human opponent, though I am pretty sure I have seen it happen a couple of times (don't quote me on that, I know I saw MKII do it, but I can't recall for sure if the computer ever did in in MK1).

I don't know exactly how hacks work, but there have always been bootleg ROMS of popular coin-ops dating back to Pac-Man and probably even before that.

Alright, this machine was definitely a hack lol

As much as I give Capcom a lot of shit for their re-release business practices (especially nowadays, where there's no excuse for it), SFII' Hyper Fighting was made in response to various hacks of SFII' Champion Edition. Such hacks actually ended up in commercial arcades. I believe they went by names such as "Rainbow Edition" and "Red Wave".

Last edited:
Lag-free is just as much of a imaginary thing as arcade-perfect is.

Then how come every other game designer has no problem doing it? Not holding my breath for an MKAK patch (still waiting for the patch to fix MK9 online play). Perhaps if people weren't so ready to accept this garbage coding NRS wouldn't be so quick to pump it out.

Then how come every other game designer has no problem doing it? Not holding my breath for an MKAK patch (still waiting for the patch to fix MK9 online play). Perhaps if people weren't so ready to accept this garbage coding NRS wouldn't be so quick to pump it out.

Name one port that is arcade perfect. There isnt one. Even SF3:3sOE is based off the Dreamcast port, and the DC port isnt arcade perfect. Mame isnt even arcade perfect. Its just a term thats overused to make things seem better than they really are.

I get what you mean tho. When Capcom re-released a classic, etc, they do it right and very well for the most part. You get extras, not just the game (i'd be happy with just these games!). Speaking of the SF3:3sOE release, that was pure fan service. and while it may not be "arcade perfect", it was done well, and all the extras in it are mind blowing. its an amazing re-release.