NEW MK Koming 2013 !!!????

Uhh...no. Fans will be so pissed off that they'll boycott the game altogether. Not even Capcom, whose BBB rating sank over the DLC fiasco involving SFxT, could get away with doing the same bullshit with Ryu and Ken in a Street Fighter game.

And I still don't buy MK9 as being canon. John Vogel lost his right to be considered canon when he defended the contradictory story that is MKSM.

Yes many fans would get outraged but NRS would rejoice and I doubt they will care if fans complain about certain things being DLC when they shouldn't be. And guess what, John Vogel still works for NRS and he will be the one to write the stories until someone takes his place. So for now, his stories are canon until proven they are not. MK9 is canon until boon or anyone in NRS says they are not.

And I do hate the fact that Jade, Kitana, Sindel, Kung Lao, SZ, and other HEROES died. If a majority of people died in MK9, they should've been the villains such as Baraka, Sheeva, Goro, Kintaro, Mileena (Kitana and Jade would have more enemies to face in later games), Kano, Sektor, and more in the forces of darkness.

Yes many fans would get outraged but NRS would rejoice and I doubt they will care if fans complain about certain things being DLC when they shouldn't be. And guess what, John Vogel still works for NRS and he will be the one to write the stories until someone takes his place. So for now, his stories are canon until proven they are not. MK9 is canon until boon or anyone in NRS says they are not.

As the record label executive in the Spinal Tap movie once said, "Money talks and bullshit walks." NRS WILL care if the Sub-Zero DLC bullshit leads to the game flopping (of course, if they don't, then Boon will be taking our orders at McDonald's instead of making games).

Vogel's version lost canon status when he contradicted almost everything already established with MKSM, and every fan knows it. In fact, reboots by their very nature are non-canon.

Not a forum elitist fishing for brownie points whilst lusting after a moderator status because it would empower me when in real life I have non but:

Please, oh please shut this thread down. It gets me excited then be let down everytime I see the title on the front page.

As the record label executive in the Spinal Tap movie once said, "Money talks and bullshit walks." NRS WILL care if the Sub-Zero DLC bullshit leads to the game flopping (of course, if they don't, then Boon will be taking our orders at McDonald's instead of making games).

Vogel's version lost canon status when he contradicted almost everything already established with MKSM, and every fan knows it. In fact, reboots by their very nature are non-canon.

About SZ, I hope for the best.

About Vogel, I hope he and NRS comes up with a good plan. Killing off Kitana and Jade is what I hated most and to make it worse, they were killed by Sindel, who also died by Nightwolf and she didn't even turn good.

What transpired in MK9's story mode is a slap in the face to all that has been established for DECADES! For that reason alone, MK9 is non-canon by default. The only way to right this ship is to bring back the TRUE kreator of Mortal Kombat, John Tobias.

I agree with your first statement, that if people want Sub-Zero in MK10 he'll be in MK10.
If putting Sub-Zero on the main roster = more people buying the game, Boon will do it.
Money does talk.

I don't agree with your second statement and MK9 not being canon.
The story mode in the games decide what is canon and what is not.
That being said, I do believe that there will have to be some MAJOR retconning in MK10, at least for a few characters (namely Sub-Zero and Liu Kang), based on the bullshit events that transpired in MK9.

I agree with your first statement, that if people want Sub-Zero in MK10 he'll be in MK10.
If putting Sub-Zero on the main roster = more people buying the game, Boon will do it.
Money does talk.

That being said, I do believe that there will have to be some MAJOR retconning in MK10, at least for a few characters (namely Sub-Zero and Liu Kang), based on the bullshit events that transpired in MK9.

That would work too...

About MK10's story mode, I hope you're right. I also hope that Kitana and Jade would have MAJOR retconning too. If not MK10, at least MK11 or at least by MK12 (no later than MK12 though).

What transpired in MK9's story mode is a slap in the face to all that has been established for DECADES! For that reason alone, MK9 is non-canon by default. The only way to right this ship is to bring back the TRUE kreator of Mortal Kombat, John Tobias.

pssst.....

you may not know this....

But everything that happened before MK9.... Still happened.

Otherwise Raiden wouldn't have random visions.

pssst.....

you may not know this....

But everything that happened before MK9.... Still happened.

Otherwise Raiden wouldn't have random visions.

THIS!!! Holy shit, saying MK9 isn't is canon is saying the new Star Trek film series isn't canon. The whole thing with "alternate realities" is that things aren't necessarily going to be the same.

Subzero wakes up....still human......MK9's story was all a dream. Story fixed!

Sindel also didn't single handily kill all of the good guys.

Idk what writers they hired for that game, but fire them for MK10. Get better voice actors as well, besides Mileena. Injustice was so much better story was so hopefully they use that talent next time around.

Canonically, MK9 takes place after MKA.
As Crit said, everything that happened before MK9 still happened. So technically, Smoke gets automated and Sub Zero gets automated in the same timeline. Because if they didn't, Raiden never would have received visions of Cyber Smoke. So the story never actually deviates, the MK9 saga of the Mortal Kombat storyline just looks similar to MK1-3 Sagas

Money does talk.

I don't care if anyone agrees with my stance on whether or not MK9 is canon. What's been established for decades ALWAYS supercedes what was only established in one game. I thought we as a fanbase learned and accepted this lesson loud and clear in the aftermath of MKSM; how said fanbase could do a complete 180 with MK9 is beyond me.

I would be all for a complete MK9 retcon. That story mode looked more like the work of an amateur writer on fanfiction.net than the work of a AAA video game title.

Last edited:
I don't care if anyone agrees with my stance on whether or not MK9 is canon. What's been established for decades ALWAYS supercedes what was only established in one game. I thought we as a fanbase learned and accepted this lesson loud and clear in the aftermath of MKSM; how said fanbase could do a complete 180 with MK9 is beyond me.

No offence, this makes zero sense, no one is saying that the events of MK1-MK3 are being negated now. Alternate reality/timeline doesn't mean the other one never took place, if that's the case, as many have said already, Raiden wouldn't have had his visions.

Also, there's never been a clear answer over MKSM being canon.

Lol MK9 isn't some spin off. It's a main series entry.

It clearly tells you all the previous events still happened. It's not replacing anything or destroying anything.

Think for a second, if just now you went back in time, and convinced yourself to make a different decision, you would still have experienced the bad decision. That event STILL happened it wasn't taken from you

No offence, this makes zero sense, no one is saying that the events of MK1-MK3 are being negated now. Alternate reality/timeline doesn't mean the other one never took place, if that's the case, as many have said already, Raiden wouldn't have had his visions.

Also, there's never been a clear answer over MKSM being canon.

Agreed with Taj.
I never said that the events of MK1 thru UMK3 were negated, ever.

MK9 = an addition to the MK1 thru UMK3 timeline.
Those same events happened the same way, with the addition of the deviation during the MK3 part of MK9 (Kung Lao chapter and on).
Sub-Zero is now automated and Liu Kang is now dead, due to the change (which I do hate), but Kahn was still defeated (just like in the original timeline) and we are still VERY LIKELY going to be facing Shinnok and Quan Chi for the MK4 storyline part of MK10 (just like in the original timeline).

Sure, some of the changes in the MK3 part of MK9 suck, but otherwise, I don't see what the hell the big problem is.
MK1 thru UMK3 STILL happened, and Raiden STILL got the visions from that timeline to try to better the future outcome.

Tarkatan, have you never seen any of the Back To The Future movies?
It's exactly like that, but with Mortal Kombat.
Past events were still experienced and used to better the future.

Here I fixed my roster again...

* Scorpion
* Mileena
* Johnny Cage
* Raiden
* Sonya
* Baraka
* Reptile
* Ermac
* Cyrax
* Sektor
* Kano
* Sheeva
* Quan Chi
* Skarlet (Primary = Human; Secondary = Cyborg)
* Kenshi
* Rain
* Tanya
* Shinnok (Unlockable Boss)
* Kai
* Jarek
* Reiko
* Fujin
* Bo Rai Cho
* Li Mei
* Frost
* Mavado
* Hsu Hao
* Drahmin
* Moloch (Unplayable Sub-Boss)
* Human Size Blaze (Unplayable Secret Boss)
* Sareena
* Kia
* Jataaka
* Ashrah
* Havik
* Nitara
* Hotaru
* Liu Kang (Unlockable)
* Kintaro (Unlockable)
* Goro (Unlockable)
* Sub-Zero (Unlockable. Primary = Human, Secondary = Cyborg)
* Shujinko (In his 30s-40s.)

DLC:
* Tremor
* Daegon
* The woman in Jade's MK9 ending.
* Khameleon
* Juliet Starling (Lollipop Chainsaw)
* Rayne (Bloodrayne)

35 Selectable Characters
5 Unlockable Characters
2 Unplayable Characters
6 DLC Characters

I think that should be enough in the time frame given to NRS.

Again leave MK9 characters as they are and focus on the new characters.

Last edited: