Mortal Kombat HD Remix with MUGEN

Added an Ambient Occlusion map to the overall diffuse color swatch of the SSS shader. By default it's white, but this AO map makes the shadow areas darker, so the shapes are more noticeable.

The body was changed, I replaced the model with the Level 2 subdivision mesh from Zbrush and transfered the skinning with skin wrap.

Removed all displacement maps and it's rendering faster, slows on the hair though.

Muscle bones added to the pectorals and Traps.

I need to add some extra bones to keep the elbows and knees looking sharp when bent.

JonnyCage_Test02_zps2d20b277.jpg

Last edited:
Added an Ambient Occlusion map to the overall diffuse color swatch of the SSS shader. By default it's white, but this AO map makes the shadow areas darker, so the shapes are more noticeable.

The body was changed, I replaced the model with the Level 2 subdivision mesh from Zbrush and transfered the skinning with skin wrap.

Removed all displacement maps and it's rendering faster, slows on the hair though.

I need to add some extra bones to keep the elbows and knees looking sharp when bent.

this one is looking so much better bleed, I really wanna see his fighting stance.... how did you export the AO? I was trying to export it but I just couldn't do it, I didn't find any good tutorial

Bleed I'd love a video tutorial for how you create muscle bones. I've never been able to do that properly and you've pretty much mastered it.

Cage looks much much much better now! Have your rendering times decreased now by using level 2 geo? I know this is just a test pose but his left outstretched leg and foot is twisted too much (so it looks awkward/painful) at least compared to the original sprite. I can't wait for you to start facial rigging/morph targets.

Hi Interloko,

I emailed it to you and also put in root of MKHD folder on dropbox. File name is: pitfront_object.png

Please confirm that you received it.

@Calactyte: I'm working on the pit stage, if you have the source file can you upload that front prop? I made a quick cut but is far from perfect

I'll add the clouds and random UFOs now
View attachment 4983

For Cage I used the built in CAT muscle strands. You just put them where you want, and link them to the bones.

If you want to make them with regular bones, this is how.

create a bone with a nub on the tip.

create two point helpers, helpers, anything to work as an anchor for the muscle end points.

Align the large/ main muscle bone to one of those helpers, so the pivot point location is the same in XYZ.

Link the main bone to that point helper.

position constrain the nub bone to the other point helper.

Add a look at constraint to the main bone, and choose the nub bone's point helper as the target.
You may want to uncheck the "Viewline Length Absolute" option in the motion panel.

Now open the bones tools from the animation tab.

With the main muscle bone selected, uncheck "Freeze Length"
Select Squash from the Stretch menu below that.

Click the "Reset Stretch" button

That's it for making the muscle work.

Now you just put it where you want on the rig, and link the point helpers to different bones.

For skinning, you simply add the muscle bones to the Skin modifier and assign some vertex weights to them.

It's good to do this while the character is posed, so you can see if it's looking okay.

;-----------------------------------------------------------------

For the Ambient Occlusion, I'm just using the Mental Ray AO map.

If the Renderer is set to Mental Ray, go to the material editor.

I use the new slate material editor, which is node based like Maya and easier to work with.

In there, right click > Maps > mental ray > Ambient / Reflective Occlusion.

The way I used it on Cage was with a Composite map.

I set the base layer to pure white.

The other layer used the AO map, set the layer blend mode to Multiply, and set the layer opacity to something like 10% or 20%.

Link the composite to the Material shader, or however you need to mix it along the way.

Last edited:

Ouch!!! Cage make a shadow kick on HULK! hehe

As far as I know, Reptile was only able to freeze and shoot spear, he couldn't do Sub Zero slide or Scorpion's teleport punch.

If you know how, then you can make Reptile (or Sub Zero) Slide ;)
It's a bit harder against Reptile because he switch between Scorpion & Sub Zero moveset
0019.png

If you know how, then you can make Reptile (or Sub Zero) Slide ;)
It's a bit harder against Reptile because he switch between Scorpion & Sub Zero moveset
View attachment 5002

I have seen Reptile do a slide but only in Arcade not on SNES. However I don't think I've ever seen him do the teleport punch.

This thread has slowed right down the past while. Everyone must be busy working behind the scenes.

Everyone is working steadily on various areas of the game. Or at least that is what I'm hoping. Interloko is still coding which is great. Bleed is getting Cage ready for animation. MrMos3s is busy with real life work but continues to work on Kano's ending screen. Gojira is busy having just moved but continues to work on Kano ending screen 2. I'm now working on updating the pit statues. Prior to that I made some edits to the stages based on Le@n's comments. Also I created some new HD vegitation based on pictures that Le@n provided me.
Meanwhile Justin Slaughter continues to work on missing sound fx/music.

Interloko should have a somewhat working game soon I'm hoping. That is the first milestone in this project. Having Scorpion and Subzero with SFX/Music, projectiles and blood incorporated.

I have seen Reptile do a slide but only in Arcade not on SNES. However I don't think I've ever seen him do the teleport punch.

This thread has slowed right down the past while. Everyone must be busy working behind the scenes.

Interloko should have a somewhat working game soon I'm hoping. That is the first milestone in this project. Having Scorpion and Subzero with SFX/Music, projectiles and blood incorporated.
Yes, I'll finish the BGs first. Sorry for the delay, here is a preview video ;)

I know when an object appears flying in the Pit is always the same in the same round. In the video there are 2 diferent just for testing.

I'll work on Goro's Lair floor and aplauses in Courtyard later

Everyone is working steadily on various areas of the game. Or at least that is what I'm hoping. Interloko is still coding which is great. Bleed is getting Cage ready for animation. MrMos3s is busy with real life work but continues to work on Kano's ending screen. Gojira is busy having just moved but continues to work on Kano ending screen 2. I'm now working on updating the pit statues. Prior to that I made some edits to the stages based on Le@n's comments. Also I created some new HD vegitation based on pictures that Le@n provided me.
Meanwhile Justin Slaughter continues to work on missing sound fx/music.

I'm skinning liu, almost finished but I'm adding muscle and things like that.. maybe tomorro I can post an update... MAYBE, cause I've been so busy, a lot of work in my job and a lot of work in my house, also been a father take's to much time too LOL

That looks like a clone of MK1 (movement and physics) and not some cheapass MK MUGEN. Well done, interloko.

Sub-zero falling down looks a bit too slow though...As if he's on a moon :p

Also the timer seems going too fast?