Mortal Kombat HD Remix with MUGEN

I would think the stretching is causong overlapping UVs maybe? Perhaps this glitch is cause by pure black in the displacement map? Very strange..

UVs are not overlapping, and I'm not using displacement anymore, only normal maps.

It's something to do with the skin shader, but I don't know what.

UVs are not overlapping, and I'm not using displacement anymore, only normal maps.

It's something to do with the skin shader, but I don't know what.

Black splotches or artifacts appear in Mental Ray when you render from Orthoganal Views. Have you made sure to render from a camera or perspective view? Also have you tried building a new scene and then merging all your old objects into this new scene. Sometimes that fixes the problem.

Last edited:
Thanks, you got me close enough to where I was able to find a solution.

For some odd reason, if I turn off Displacement in the common render options, the black spots go away.

I'm not using displacement maps anyway, so it doesn't change anything important.

Thanks, you got me close enough to where I was able to find a solution.

For some odd reason, if I turn off Displacement in the common render options, the black spots go away.

I'm not using displacement maps anyway, so it doesn't change anything important.

Woohoo! Can't wait to see an animation. That breathing animation looks incredible btw.

I set up a control panel, like the type used for facial animation.

Linked that to blend shapes and alpha maps, using the Reaction Manager.

When the control is at -100, show the inhale blend shape and normal map.

When the control is at 0 show the default shape and normal map.

When the control is at 100, show the exhale blend shape and normal map.

The Normal maps are in a Composite map.

So I just slide the control from one side to the next and back, to make him look like he's breathing.

I'll have to re do a bunch of the skinning on him btw, it got messed up when I started adding blend shapes. I separated the head from the body, so I can have morphs just for that part.

The modifier stack in max looks like this and it works from the bottom up.

Skin
Morpher = Full body blend shapes, breathing is here.
Edit Poly = Attach the body and weld the neck verts.
Morpher = Head blend shapes
Editable poly = Head

I didn't expect that to mess up the skinning, but whatever, do it over... I know better next time.

Last edited:
Great workflow Beed!

After see how far was going MG with the realism of Kano, you Leveled up a lot the quality of Cage. Looks Great, the bright of the eyes, hair and skin looks just Top level.

Also Rendering quality looks much real. Checking your portfolio, Cage is the best one you did.

I'm learning a lot, It's still not as good as I wanted, but it is better than the last model. This trend should continue :)

@interloko

Palace Gates updated on Dropbox. The Buddah statue coloring has been fixed along with the backwall. Special thanks to Le@n for finding the EXACT temple from the original game so I've removed the old one. I've color corrected it and put inside the PSD. Thanks again Le@n!

Results below:

PALACE_GATES_HD.jpg

PALACE_GATES_HD.jpg I i noticed that the sky on the Palace Gates had some very light lines in the back ground. So I took the image in to photoshop and adjusted the contrast to make them more visible. They are hard to see and I'm probably just being picky, just striving for perfection that's all.

Good work with colors, look very close to MK1.
Hope you used latest version, because I fixed few details in it.

had some very light lines in the back ground
Well, they aren't visible anyways..

Yeah it is a weird Photoshop export error. Don't worry though they aren't in the final game.

View attachment 5107 I i noticed that the sky on the Palace Gates had some very light lines in the back ground. So I took the image in to photoshop and adjusted the contrast to make them more visible. They are hard to see and I'm probably just being picky, just striving for perfection that's all.

Hands corrected, tennis better, new details in bracelets, fringe better defined and a light makeup on the face, but still there is no shortage of other details and I'll soon test the rigging.Sonya nova franja.jpg

Good stuff Cris, I would maybe get the shaders looking like the real world materials at this point. You know how to work the different shaders yet? It took me a long time to figure that out, but now I can't work without it.

I've been setting up Cage for skinning this week, little bits every day. I'm spending more time learning C++ lately.

Good stuff Cris, I would maybe get the shaders looking like the real world materials at this point. You know how to work the different shaders yet? It took me a long time to figure that out, but now I can't work without it.

I've been setting up Cage for skinning this week, little bits every day. I'm spending more time learning C++ lately.

I will test other shaders best type Oren-Nayar and for Specular use Blinn and phong and decrease this brightness in the skin, not to be seeming rubber skin.
AND Nice job with Cage.

This project can't continue without you Bleed. I can't help but worry you are stretching yourself thin, but at the same time if you choose for this project to die out because you are getting bored with it, then that is exactly what will happen. I hope that isn't the case.

Yes, but I can't let this other thing go untouched for too long, or I'll forget what I'm doing.

I'll get back on MK now for a while.