Mortal Kombat HD Remix with MUGEN

Here's what I got, I think it's done (right?) although I'll probably go back to it later for some little touch-ups here and there.

Original:
GoroLivesoriginal.jpg

Animation showing my edits to cals render:
s3zu3p.gif

New final (?):
goroLIVESexamp.jpg
(click for larger version)

Not sure why my PNG uploads lose so much quality, doesn't really do it justice but you probably get the idea. I'll get the portrait done later but I've been avoiding work today for this, and I should get back to work. lol

Last edited:
Done!!! Nice job man. Looks awesome. Upload to Dropbox when you get the chance.

Here's what I got, I think it's done. (right?)

Original:
View attachment 4432

Animation showing my edits to cals render:
s3zu3p.gif

New final (?):
View attachment 4433
(click for larger version)

Not sure why my PNG uploads lose so much quality, doesn't really do it justice but you probably get the idea. I'll get the portrait done later but I've been avoiding work today for this, and I should get back to work. lol

Goro is looking very nice. And the Edit helped a bunch. If I had any nitpick, it would be that his arms and hands look a bit too shiny and plasticy. Other than that, well done.

Done!!! Nice job man. Looks awesome. Upload to Dropbox when you get the chance.

Thank you sir, I see a couple small details I want to fix but for now it's in the "MK1-HD_UI" folder in the dropbox, the PSD with the text and darkened layers over top.

Have you guys tried recruiting anyone? It seems you could use some more help if you really want to complete this..

Have you guys tried recruiting anyone? It seems you could use some more help if you really want to complete this..

Yeah I've asked around. For people to do a good job they need to be capable of completing tasks after receiving feedback, probably be huge MK Fan and have an understanding of 3D Modeling, Texturing, Lighting, Shader creation, Rigging and Animation. It is asking a lot to be honest. This person is called a 3D Generalist. 3D Generalists have to be very good at all areas of 3D. They usually make mind numbing amounts of money when they work in Movie Effects industry. So to ask for people with that level of skill to do this for free is a hard sell unless they are huge fan of the franchise.

Bleed is pretty much the only person I have met to this point who was capable of performing all the steps in the character creation process by himself. Scary that with his talent level, he is out of work.

I'm helping out wherever I can with animation now as well. So the result is that Shang Tsung is fully animated. Goro will be fully animated and that means I Bleed will be left with a much lighter yet still very substantial workload.

Once Scorpion is complete, which he should be very soon..that means Reptile and Subzero would pretty much be done as well. That leaves just Raiden, Cage, Kang, Sonya and Kano.

Cage and Raiden will be rigged. I'm sure after a few tweaks from Bleed Kang will be as well. Perhaps I can animate a character in that mix as well.

The biggest issue to the completion of this project isn't the art and animation in my mind. Bleed and I won't stop until it is done. I'm frankly a little worried that we don't have a programmer. Interloko hasn't had an update since almost a year ago and I think his life is just too busy to code this project. So if we are recruiting, we might want to find a kick-ass Mugen programmer, or switch platforms altogether. Something I think we need to discuss sooner rather than later.

I like how the face looks and the pants most. The shading on the body is kind of muddy though, I think you should let the normal map do most of that shading. Use colors to tint the skin more instead of shaping it too much.

If you look at texture maps of next gen characters, the skin portion is almost flat. They mainly focus on blemishes, simulating Sub surface scattering, painting veins, hot and cold spots, creases in the skin, noise to break up the surface.

Separation of muscles tend to be very subtle, when you have a normal map to do the work for you.

Very cool work so far though, just that little detail to point out.

Looking good. I agree with what Bleed is saying. The skin is looking "painted". Let the normal map define the depth in the muscles. Focus on blemishes, overall skin tone and all that. Your texture map should look almost flat aside from body hair, blemishes, scars and a tiny bit of skin texture.

Really like the pants and the shoes. Are you using SSS for the skin? If so I think the shader and or the lighting might need tweaking to look more natural. right now he look like he is standing in car headlights.

Don't get yourself crazy over it though. Whenever you want to hand off your files to Bleed and he's got time he will likely need to make edits to the topology and material anyway.

hello guys, I wanna post my update, working on the skin and textures.. this is my WIP, hope you like it
View attachment 4443View attachment 4444

Excellent first step! Now get on LinkedIn and start joining every group related to CG. Post your portfolio links all over. Sign up for Game Developer Magazine (it's free). Join Gamasutra.com. You should establish yourself as an S Corp for protection when doing freelance work. http://www.legalzoom.com Also you can go to industry events such as E3 for free. E3 is huge. You'll get to speak directly to executive producers who are looking to hire. You might need to be prepared to move though. Love your portfolio. Some really cool animation and art in there. You were born to do this. The only warning I have which I'm sure you are aware of is that once you do it for a living, some of the fun might get stripped out of it. 60-80 hour work weeks are the norm in the games industry. I personally think you have what it takes if you are willing to do the work required.

Speaking of work, I put a simple portfolio together yesterday. I need to add more environment work though, and stuff not related to MK, which is a little hard for me. :/

http://gabrielmelendez.weebly.com/index.html

thanks a lot bleed and calactyte for the comments and sorry for not handing the model yet but, as a goal I wanna do everything I can, and since you two still busy with goro, shang, and other things I'm trying to do all I can and believe me... I'm learning a lot, I tryed to fix the things you've said... tell me what you guys think now.

almost forgat...yes!!! I'm using sss material for the skin

1.jpg2.jpg

Wow, over 50% of your porfolio is made of unfinished work. It shows different levels of talent, for example the walking animation of the lava monster is cheap. You should really put some effort at least in making a portfolio if you really want to work at this, and I'm telling you this because nobody else seems to be willing to say it. You cannot live out of the possitive comments of MK mugen fans and hope to find a real job after visiting the E3.

Hell, I'm gonna say it because somehow I care about your situation: you really need theraphy first to improve your behaviour, and I mean the attitude of leaving things unfinished (quitter). That seems to be destroying everything around you until the point you hide yourself and your obvious talent in a mugen forum.

If you find this post disgusting, well at least I tried to tell you something I think you need to hear, and I'm being dead serious. You need to organize your life before perceiving any results. Even the portfolio is a mess... Okay, just know I'm being hard critical because I think you could actually do it, if you REALLY try. Good luck...!

thanks a lot bleed and calactyte for the comments and sorry for not handing the model yet but, as a goal I wanna do everything I can, and since you two still busy with goro, shang, and other things I'm trying to do all I can and believe me... I'm learning a lot, I tryed to fix the things you've said... tell me what you guys think now.

almost forgat...yes!!! I'm using sss material for the skin

View attachment 4445View attachment 4446

This is looking better, nice work arq, keep it up.