Mortal Kombat HD Remix with MUGEN

I may be wrong, but I don't think anyone is doing Shang Tsung.

As it happens I'm trying to get some work done on Kano tonight, but honestly if that doesn't go anywhere I feel just about ready to let it go and have someone else work on him if they would like. I would still like to do it, but if it ends up taking forever with no actual progress I would feel bad about holding up the project out of pure stubbornness.

Cool, cool. If you decide on dropping him, let me know. Since modeling is mainly my thing, I'll be happy to continue with him. And I think someone is already working on Tsung.

Shang is called, but hasn't been started.

Is it possible to tweak to the mesh in Maya after it has been skinned?

I'm asking, because it would be good to make a test for animation. Making a quick rig for certain parts, like the hand. So you can close the fist and see if it looks right animated.

Pose the model, tweak the mesh in that pose and put it back in the neutral pose to end up with a better shape.

I didn't do that before and I think that's why I'm having trouble with the fists looking bad.

Last edited:
I made the movement more exaggerated but the whole torso has to move, not just the arms.

What do you guys think, ok or tone it down? The torso bend back and forward.

TestYourMight_RefLoop.gif

TYM-Focus-Loop_04.gif

That Scorpion looks pretty cool but, yeah, I have to agree with what someone else said about the Hogan pose, lol. As much as I love wrestling, it makes Scorpion look as cheesy as Hogan.

Interloko, Jarvis has uploaded as much of his finished HD files as possible. You should see his stuff inside the MKHD dropbox folder now. The stuff posted is final. He's still working on main UI stuff.
Ok i'll try to download it later. But I prefer to have all the files to make sure I use the latest version.

Nice progress on Liu and amazing tym animation. Great job guys

@calactyte thanks, I'm glad I can help in any way, shape or form.
I love dissecting visuals from MK1 lol, it's my favorite game of
the series. If you need anything else let me know.

@Bleed, love the last animation where the fist goes into the palm.
I'm curious to see how will transition from "pumping up" to strike look like.

@Mortal Gojira, wow Kang looks better and better with every update.
Looking really good and you're working FAST man. I'd love to see you
do more characters. I don't think anyone would be pissed if you try a
character that's alreday been "taken" but not started?
The more the merrier, I guess...

edit:
I see now calactyte has given you green light for Shang, looking forward to it.

2gsirfc.jpg

It would be best to set the strike animation to play from the last \ first frame of the pumping loop.

Animtime = 0

If not, I can't really do a smooth transition, because it will snap unless it is close to that frame of the loop.

You would need a variable to lock the meter at the time you press Block. Keep playing the loop anim, till it's at the right frame for going to the next animation without snapping.

OK first show, download and play it with Quick time if it's too slow online.

I notice now with it slow, that he needs more frames before the first pose, It's too harsh.

This is at 60 fps.

Scorp_TYM_strike_01.gif

I notice now with it slow, that he needs more frames before the first pose, It's too harsh.

This is at 60 fps.

Scorp_TYM_strike_01.gif

It looks great! I just see two issues though. Keep in mind that I don't know what the original looked like, so if it's true to the original, then you can stop reading here.

1. Scorpion seems to keep looking at the camera. It would make sense for him to look at what he is hitting to see whether he succeeded.

2. He doesn't hit the center of the block.

The animation looks amazing though. I absolutely can't wait to see this project finished.

Hi, I'm new to the forums here but I've been following this project for a while now. I amazes me how much detail you guys have put into this. This is awesome!

The being said, I played this animation in Quick time and it seems to be a bit too fast. Could you try adding a little more suspension before he chops? Have his hand be in the air for just a tad longer? Other than that it looks great.

This is at 60 fps.

Scorp_TYM_strike_01.gif

Going by the reference, he does look at the camera instead of the target.

The hand is also not in the center on the reference, but I see now the fingers should point straighter at the camera.

The timing is matching what's in the game also

30 fps

If most are in accordance, some changes can be made to improve the animation. I'm not closed to the idea but I'm following the reference pretty close for a base at least.

Not sure why the shadow is flickering, I have to up the samples for the lights I guess. Didn't notice till now.

Scorp_TYM_strike_02.gif

Last edited:
Look great!

I think low samples in the lighting is causing problems in shadow parts. Specialy inside the cloth under de arm. Looks like a animated shadow...

The 30 fps version looks like it's missing a frame or two. His right hand just snaps up to position.

Also, it may be late in the project, but if there's anything I can add artistically, I'd be happy to oblige :)

It looks great! I just see two issues though. Keep in mind that I don't know what the original looked like, so if it's true to the original, then you can stop reading here.

1. Scorpion seems to keep looking at the camera. It would make sense for him to look at what he is hitting to see whether he succeeded.

2. He doesn't hit the center of the block.

The animation looks amazing though. I absolutely can't wait to see this project finished.

Not only is Scorpion looking at the camera, but his face remains neutral as he does the chop. At least if his eyebrows look mean as he does the chop, it will look much more realistic.

PUT some realistic facial emotions as he chops the block! :proud:

Ok I'll add some facial animation. > (

[edit]

I increased the sampling for the Render settings, but the flicker isn't fixed... I'm trying to find the problem.

Scorp_TYM_strike_03.gif

Last edited: