Mortal Kombat Arcade Memories.

I remember doing Kitana's Fan Decapitation fatality in MK2 in public, and a woman was just shocked at seeing it. lol ;-)

I remember back in 1995 my cousin and I would take ripped out pages of special moves and fatalities from some gaming magazine we read at the time to a local bar which happened to have an MK3 machine. As we were taking turns playing, one guy stepped in to play against my cousin, who lost, but what we saw next really blew my mind. The guy managed to beat MK3 with Smoke on one quarter, and was nice enough to even give my cousin an extra quarter after doing so. Never once saw guy a day before or after this happened. I'll never forget it.

Hey guys Im 27 and I have so many MK Arcade memories but I will only share my very first encounter for one starting with MK1.

I was 7 years old when I saw this arcade for the first time watching the gameplay run. I was amazed and thrilled seeing a character shooting a spear ( Scorpion) from his hand not knowing his name but he looked really cool then i remember seeing this character with lighting (Raiden) that freaked the shit out of me because he looked evil Im Like "oh this Character is Bad" "he has to be evil" lol he looked bad. But when it got to Goro's Bio, that freaked the shit out of me even more lol but in a good way and then I remember seeing the bottom pit with all those heads and blood I was like damn this looks tight sadly i had to go back to my mom didnt get the name of the game and didnt get a chance to play until later when my mom bought for me for the PC ;)

MK2 i remember going to L.A County fair in California i remember seeing one player playing as Kung Lao and he was fighting Kitana in the PIT2 stage and right after he won he did the pit stage fatality I was like wow that was freaken Tight! I got to get this when it comes out.

MK3 i saw the Arcade machine at the Bowling alley Brunswick in Fontana Ca, i remember some guy playing as Cyrax and I was telling my brother look! Hes playing as Scorpion! But Scorpion is a robot? Lol I thought Cyrax was Scorpion in form of a robot at that time and I saw this other player playing with this really cool character named Kabal not knowing his name at that time and he was doing some really awesome combos with him against Cyrax and I remember them fighting in Soul Chamber stage, when I saw one of them uppercut the other and i saw the part of Passing up the second Stage i saw like ****in shit that was Tight! I will never forget that part. Once i saw Finish Him! and I saw Cyrax(Assuming to be Scorpion) in his out of control electricution thing i was like haha Scorpion's getting exterminted by his own Fatality lol

UMK3, when this Arcade was released not knowing about the release but I ended up seeing it at the same place I saw MK3, i saw the character select screen with MK3 characters but with brand new characters as well like Jade, Kitana, Ermac, Reptile, Mileena, Sub Zero and Scorpion lol i felt Stupid after releasing that Cryax was not Scorpion lol i remember a player playing with Scorpion and was going against Jade Computer in the Hell Stage and after Jade defeated him she uppercuted him to the Lake lol i was like that was awesome! It was packed and people were wondersing who the Purple ninja in the rolling credits was they thought he was a secret playable character or fightable character at that time not realizing that he was Neither until MKT came out

MK4 i will never forget this I was at Gameworks at Ontario Mills Mall Ca. MK4 Road tour I remember at that time I was 12 and I remember seeing these huge 2 lines to play a new MK Arcade Machine. I remember seeing someone play as Scorpion and Sonya at the Eldergod Stage I was amazed at the graphics and gameplay I was amazed seeing the Continue Screen where the Chracter falls down the well into a pit of Spikes, that was my Favorite part of the game. There were also ??? On the character select screen and we were wondering who those secret characters were going to be.:) I wanted to play it so badly but they said it was a 1-2 hour wait i was like maybe next time :( the sad part was that I wanted to go and play it but I was too young drive and I had noone to take me so I just waited until I got it for PS1

Last edited:
I remember when MK1 came out i was 7 or 8 years old and there was an arcade down the street that had it. I played for the first time and this guy challenged me before I got the chance and beat the crap out of me. He was like in his 20? How can you do such an awful thing to a kid?! The jerk! XD I should go find him and shoot him! GRRR!

I remember playing MK 1 in gatlinberg TN with my brother. I used johnny cage and destroyed his scorpion. And I remember when they opened a new k mart in our town and they had MK 2 which wasn't on home systems yet. I spent $20 in quarters that day.

I remember when MK1 came out i was 7 or 8 years old and there was an arcade down the street that had it. I played for the first time and this guy challenged me before I got the chance and beat the crap out of me. He was like in his 20? How can you do such an awful thing to a kid?! The jerk! XD I should go find him and shoot him! GRRR!

Funny you should mention this... I was 12 when MK1 came out and I got BEAT by a 7-year old... lulz

My grandpa used to have an MK 1 Arcade Machine at his minimart. LOTS of freeplays LOL.

But, the most amazing memory that I recall, is when I first saw MK II. Over here in México, there have ALWAYS been lots of pirated machines and arcade hacks. So, when I came by an arcade place that had a handwritten sign that read 'Tenemos el Mortal Kombat 2', I thought it was a hack of MK1.
Then, I entered the place, made my way between a crowd that was around a huge, blueish cabinet with Raiden on the side, saw Baraka impale Mileena in the MK tomb and I could not believe my freakin eyes...

The thing that pops out at the moment was seeing MK2 for the very first time when it just came out.

Shang Tsung vs Reptile on the Kombat Tomb stage.

After playing so much MK1, that was a lot of shock to absorb. The boss looking young vs the hidden character... OMG! lol

I can't believe that was almost 20 years ago. :(

First time I saw MK3 I was on a school trip in Gatlinburg, TN after finishing the 8th grade. I didn't have much time to play but I was amazed at the character selection screen. Think I picked Sektor because he looked cool and then Nightwolf. A year later as a h.s. freshman I got excited when we had to drive 15 minutes to the grocery because there was a Walmart next door that had MK3. I used to study a magazine with all the combos on the drive up and I'd go thru up to five dollars in quarters some times. It was more fun to beat people (10 kids crowded around the cabinet) than the ladder, although this was the one where you could continue playing after beating Kahn if you hit a certain button. Cyrax became my main. And I was hooked on MK.

Hey guys Im 27 and I have so many MK Arcade memories but I will only share my very first encounter for one starting with MK1.

I was 7 years old when I saw this arcade for the first time watching the gameplay run. I was amazed and thrilled seeing a character shooting a spear ( Scorpion) from his hand not knowing his name but he looked really cool then i remember seeing this character with lighting (Raiden) that freaked the shit out of me because he looked evil Im Like "oh this Character is Bad" "he has to be evil" lol he looked bad. But when it got to Goro's Bio, that freaked the shit out of me even more lol but in a good way and then I remember seeing the bottom pit with all those heads and blood I was like damn this looks tight sadly i had to go back to my mom didnt get the name of the game and didnt get a chance to play until later when my mom bought for me for the PC ;)

MK2 i remember going to L.A County fair in California i remember seeing one player playing as Kung Lao and he was fighting Kitana in the PIT2 stage and right after he won he did the pit stage fatality I was like wow that was freaken Tight! I got to get this when it comes out.

MK3 i saw the Arcade machine at the Bowling alley Brunswick in Fontana Ca, i remember some guy playing as Cyrax and I was telling my brother look! Hes playing as Scorpion! But Scorpion is a robot? Lol I thought Cyrax was Scorpion in form of a robot at that time and I saw this other player playing with this really cool character named Kabal not knowing his name at that time and he was doing some really awesome combos with him against Cyrax and I remember them fighting in Soul Chamber stage, when I saw one of them uppercut the other and i saw the part of Passing up the second Stage i saw like ****in shit that was Tight! I will never forget that part. Once i saw Finish Him! and I saw Cyrax(Assuming to be Scorpion) in his out of control electricution thing i was like haha Scorpion's getting exterminted by his own Fatality lol

UMK3, when this Arcade was released not knowing about the release but I ended up seeing it at the same place I saw MK3, i saw the character select screen with MK3 characters but with brand new characters as well like Jade, Kitana, Ermac, Reptile, Mileena, Sub Zero and Scorpion lol i felt Stupid after releasing that Cryax was not Scorpion lol i remember a player playing with Scorpion and was going against Jade Computer in the Hell Stage and after Jade defeated him she uppercuted him to the Lake lol i was like that was awesome! It was packed and people were wondersing who the Purple ninja in the rolling credits was they thought he was a secret playable character or fightable character at that time not realizing that he was Neither until MKT came out

MK4 i will never forget this I was at Gameworks at Ontario Mills Mall Ca. MK4 Road tour I remember at that time I was 12 and I remember seeing these huge 2 lines to play a new MK Arcade Machine. I remember seeing someone play as Scorpion and Sonya at the Eldergod Stage I was amazed at the graphics and gameplay I was amazed seeing the Continue Screen where the Chracter falls down the well into a pit of Spikes, that was my Favorite part of the game. There were also ??? On the character select screen and we were wondering who those secret characters were going to be.:) I wanted to play it so badly but they said it was a 1-2 hour wait i was like maybe next time :( the sad part was that I wanted to go and play it but I was too young drive and I had noone to take me so I just waited until I got it for PS1
Ontario. I remember those places when I lived in San Bernardino. Now I live waaaay up in Northern California. Many MK arcades back when I used to live there.

I also miss the 1 button brutalities from MKT in the PS1.

Last edited:
I remember being 10 years old when MK came out.
The first time that I saw a Mortal Kombat 1 arcade cabinet was at a Pizza Hut.
I think I picked Raiden first, because I liked his hat. ;-)
Had some fun playing as Raiden, and proceeded to use Sub Zero and Scorpion.

It wasn't until a few months later that I saw someone playing at another arcade, and he performed Scorpion's Toasty followed later by Sub Zero's Spine Rip.
I asked him how to do them, and he was nice enough to let me know.
Scorpion's Toasty was easy to pull off in the arcade, but Sub Zero's Spine Rip was harder.
I could never get the F, D, F motion right on the arcade joystick, even though half-cirlce + LP was never a problem for me for the iceball.

Sub Zero's Spine Rip was the first fatality that I did, when I got it on my Sega Genesis. ;-)