MK HD Remix like SSF2T HD REMIX Request

I'm not a big fan of mugen Mortal Kombat games, as I've played them and some of them are bad in quality. However, when it comes to HD sprites from the original ones, I could take some time and try to redo some of them. I don't know how they'll end up, though. Right now I'm working on a project, so it might take some time, but I will try to make some HD sprites.

You are right about Mugen,but drawing HD sprites would be a real challenge.I dont have programming knowledge,but i think its hard for a non company without resources to achieve it.Hope you have good results,and post some of them when you are ready

First they should focus on each game individually before they give them all the HD remix. I'd say the most popular game, UMK3 would be the best starting point, followed by mk2 and why even bother remixing mk1? They obviously can't handle 3 games at once so going after one at a time seems to be the most logical option.

MK1 is living history for this franchise.Its the beggining of all.You cant let it out of the box...

Most of the MUGEN stuff seems to be remixes of already released sprite work and cheaply done. It's possible to create totally original HD assets for it but who would do that? Who has the resources\time, talent and discipline to follow through and execute to completion? It seems to me that totally original sprite work especially of the digitized MK style is very rare. You could so easily fall into the tattoo assassin's or cheap remix arena so very easily.

Tatto assasin and street fighter the movie werent remixes,but are a good example of low production values...

Last edited by a moderator:
That looks like absolute shit.
No HD for Mk for me, thanks.

Uhm, since when are SF the Movie and Tatto Assassins HD? They're both games from the nineties, and as such, pretty darn SD.

That's how it would look if MK would get a remix.

These 2 games have nothing to do with MK HD Remix we are asking.They are old games,that failed to do their task.The 2 videos i posted earlier were looking ace,and they werent fully digitised from the look of it

You are right about Mugen,but drawing HD sprites would be a real challenge.I dont have programming knowledge,but i think its hard for a non company without resources to achieve it.Hope you have good results,and post some of them when you are ready

MK1 is living history for this franchise.Its the beggining of all.You cant let it out of the box...

Tatto assasin and street fighter the movie werent remixes,but are a good example of low production values...

Dude, use the edit button and/or multi-post instead of freaking posting over and over agian. It's getting annoying!!!!!

Dude, use the edit button and/or multi-post instead of freaking posting over and over agian. It's getting annoying!!!!!

You know,not everyone knows all the abilities that this forum has to offer.Thanks for the advice,try to be more polite next time no need to go crazy for things like that
-As for the remix part,noone really knows how it would look.Its up to the programmers to decide which art style they would give this game.I believe that is not necessary to be fully digitised from what i ve seen in these 2 early videos.Its just photos but they are a good indication of the art style.We are fans and we are asking something,maybe(not high percentage)someone(boon...)give us some answers

Agree. MK MUST be remade in fine HD. This didn't happen this time, but in future this will happen.

71282374.png
71282378.png

Video is cool, the music when you finish mk1, the begining bit when the instruments come in is the same as the mk2 character select music.

well, if anyone here has any mugen experience, we could do it.......
i have a lot of mugen experience and i'm making something like mkt right now.
my project is aimed to accuracy and is going very good. time by time i send to Shock an alpha version for testing

anyways... if people get organized i can code the HD project. what about a new thread? maybe someone is good with sounds, another one can record himself as just say johnny cage etc.

i have a lot of mugen experience and i'm making something like mkt right now.
my project is aimed to accuracy and is going very good. time by time i send to Shock an alpha version for testing

anyways... if people get organized i can code the HD project. what about a new thread? maybe someone is good with sounds, another one can record himself as just say johnny cage etc.

You want to start this thread,or me posting the info you just gave?Choice is all yours,i like this project

You don't know anything about this, so please stop pretending that you do.

Considering that Other Ocean couldn't get a simple emulator to run well online when the MAME community had it done 3-4 years ago makes it obvious that the problem isn't so much doing it but the skill of the company doing it.

First of all,these 2 games you mention with the videos are not remixes.They are new games,the first one based in the movie.I want an HD REMIX like SSF2T HD Remix,i dont know if you have seen it.The didnt touch the gameplay,they just added a new gaphic filter that suits the game,and does justice in its style.This is the one i am telling you about

Yeah I really wish MKAK was given an HD graphics filter as well. Since it didn't get that and the online is complete garbage from what I hear I'm just going to pass on this purchase.

Also, Capcom did a MUCH better job on SSF2T HD than they did with the recently released SF3 HD mix... SF3 looks like trash imo in comparison :(

Regarding Street Fighter II Turbo HD Remix, the graphics aren't simply a fancy filter, they're painstakingly redrawn. With the original Mortal Kombats, that's not really an option due to the use of digitized actors. Apparently the original photos had no higher resolution at the time, so there's no way to improve them. Drawing over them to attempt to add detail / clarity would likely result in a cartoony/computerized look.

Really, the digitized actors were a huge part of what made the game a success. Hiring new actors would be the only option, and since the new actors would look different, the project would likely end up looking WRONG. Kind of like when they remake a new movie, it can't replace the old one. Which leads to drawing new characters from scratch, creating a different experience.

If they went through all that effort for a game that really in all honesty doesn't play that well in the first place, it would have limited appeal. So they may as well improve the gameplay too. But they've already done this with the MK 2011 reboot. The best option would be downloadable MK2011 packs would include the option to play for example, Mortal Kombat 2011 as MK1 with original costumes, fatalities, test your might, etc. while only having MK1 stages and original camera angles. Same with MKII and UMK3.

Regarding Street Fighter II Turbo HD Remix, the graphics aren't simply a fancy filter, they're painstakingly redrawn. With the original Mortal Kombats, that's not really an option due to the use of digitized actors. Apparently the original photos had no higher resolution at the time, so there's no way to improve them. Drawing over them to attempt to add detail / clarity would likely result in a cartoony/computerized look.

Really, the digitized actors were a huge part of what made the game a success. Hiring new actors would be the only option, and since the new actors would look different, the project would likely end up looking WRONG. Kind of like when they remake a new movie, it can't replace the old one. Which leads to drawing new characters from scratch, creating a different experience.

If they went through all that effort for a game that really in all honesty doesn't play that well in the first place, it would have limited appeal. So they may as well improve the gameplay too. But they've already done this with the MK 2011 reboot. The best option would be downloadable MK2011 packs would include the option to play for example, Mortal Kombat 2011 as MK1 with original costumes, fatalities, test your might, etc. while only having MK1 stages and original camera angles. Same with MKII and UMK3.

For the first part maybe they can a filter,or another trick so the graphics are trully improved.One option is the one we see in the 2 videos where the ingame graphics are both cartoonish(in a mature way)and looks also a bit digitised.I loved this style,noone has seen it in motion so we can only make assumptions.As for the mk2011 pack,i believe they have to give us first some stages that are missing,some costumes that people ask(not only about ninjas),and some options(like to turn on clasiic music in arcade ladder).After that your idea would a nice extra mode,like survival which a lot of people ask for

As for the mk2011 pack,i believe they have to give us first some stages that are missing,some costumes that people ask(not only about ninjas),and some options(like to turn on clasiic music in arcade ladder).After that your idea would a nice extra mode,like survival which a lot of people ask for

Yeah, those missing elements you listed are what my theorized packs' selling points would be. They already have the core engine, characters, and even a lot of the necessary stages. Recreating the remaining missing stages, classic costumes, -alities, character select screens, music, etc is exactly what I meant. Throw in some achievements and a cost between $5-$10 per game (UMK3 would require more work after all) and have cool HD remakes of the classics. Keep the MK2011 gameplay in tact, with maybe options to turn off moves the characters didn't have for the original game (and x-rays). For the purists who want the old gameplay intact, we've already got the arcade collection to play anyhow.

I liked the combo system,but it wasnt endless,neither it had the freedom it required.MK9 still has the same combo system but in a level that offers enough freedom.Anyway mk3 combo system was very good at its time.WE can ask for it,thats the point of the thread

Well MK3 combo system was really good and imo had way more stuff you can do when fighting. Wasn't just no simple uppercut or jumpkick then special. MK9 system is better than MK3's. Yes we can ask for it but I don't really think they will listen. I know a lot of PC gamers want MK9 on PC but even tho they really want it it looks like it won't make it to PC unfortunately.

Also, Capcom did a MUCH better job on SSF2T HD than they did with the recently released SF3 HD mix... SF3 looks like trash imo in comparison :(

Actually SF3 is not a HD mix. It never was. They said SF3 would not get the HD treatment like SSF2T HD Remix.

I'm OK with them hiring new actors, as long as they look enough alike. In fact, wasn't that what they were doing already? Don't get me wrong, I love the work the Pesina brothers, Rich Divizio, Katalin Zamiar, Ho Sung Pak, John Turk and the others did, but... it's been 15 years. It needs to be new actors.