Atari 2600 vs. Intellivision

Love Cowboy

The OTHER console war that mattered... hehe.

Just kidding, but really... those of you who remember these old systems, what do you think?

thumbnail.jpg

intellivision.jpg

Despite my young age, I've actually played the Atari 2600 before lol, because my uncle owned one that was still in good shape and let me play with it when I was about 8 years old. I still have fond memories of playing it, and with that said, I'll go with the 2600...

2600 because as the name suggests it was ahead of its time. i used to pwn at plaque attack

2600 because as the name suggests it was ahead of its time. i used to pwn at plaque attack

The name? LOL the 2600 was just its part number... originally the thing was just called the "Video Computer System" or VCS... it wasn't re-branded the 2600 until its successor the 5200 came out (which was a POS, by the way)

This thread could use some Intellivision fans... where's DCR?

I loved Intellivision. But the controller was shit. The side buttons were SO hard to press. Among my favaorites: He-Man, Night Stalker, Pinball, and BurgerTime! There was a Pac-man-esque game, where you were a wizard and you chased around demons and skeletons, that I really liked, but I can't remember what it was called.

Edit: It was called Thunder Castle, you can check it out here: http://www.intellivisiongames.com/bluesky/games/credits/intv0.html

On 2600 I loved Robot Tank.

This thread could use some Intellivision fans... where's DCR?

I dunno, but **** that guy anyway.

Admittedly I don't have a lot of experience with the 2600, but it doesn't matter as the Intellivision ruled all.

But the controller was shit.

More like the shit. That's one of the main things that set it apart from other consoles-- you had like a bajillion buttons, plus those awesome little game-specific plastic covers that slid over the buttons to tell you what did what.

Then again, you're probably right. After about two decades of using traditional controllers, I'd be totally screwed if I had an Intellivision controller in my hands right now.

My favorite game was probably Advanced Dungeons and Dragons. Oh and that tank game. I don't know what it was called (it's been 20 years, give me a break), but it was awesome. Oh and that boxing game. I used to play it for hours with my dad.

ATARI!!!!!!
my bro had one when i was growing up,
that moon buggy game was AWESOME!!!
still have it in a box somewhere..

Never touched/heard of a intellivision...
looks like an old home phone...

I dunno, but **** that guy anyway.

Admittedly I don't have a lot of experience with the 2600, but it doesn't matter as the Intellivision ruled all.

More like the shit. That's one of the main things that set it apart from other consoles-- you had like a bajillion buttons, plus those awesome little game-specific plastic covers that slid over the buttons to tell you what did what.

Then again, you're probably right. After about two decades of using traditional controllers, I'd be totally screwed if I had an Intellivision controller in my hands right now.

My favorite game was probably Advanced Dungeons and Dragons. Oh and that tank game. I don't know what it was called (it's been 20 years, give me a break), but it was awesome. Oh and that boxing game. I used to play it for hours with my dad.

The Intellivison controllers were pretty bad... but there were some badass games... remember Astrosmash?

I never heard of the "Intellivision".

I never played any of them, but nowadays, they are both a crap lol

Atari 2600 ftw.

My dad still has ours in his closet at his house. I remember when I got my fingers caught in my mom's car door when I was a kid and had a HUGE ice pack on it from the hospital and I damn well played my Atari with it cuz I'm hardcore.

I just wonder how many people here were old enough to be exposed to either. I'm not familiar with Atari 2600, but I did remember playing Intellevision on a few occasions as a child. Armor Battle and Frog Pond were the two games I played the most. Night Stalker was pretty interesting, but I didn't understand how to play it at the time.

I like how Astrosmash showed the earth blowing up when you lost. That was awesome for it's time. I think that was the inspiration for the Cyrax fatality.

This post is all sorts of fail. The earth blowing up was Star Strike, not Astrosmash, and the fatality you're referring to was Smoke's.

Intellivision for me. I remember my dad playing it and having a little go myself.