What is a reset

ABC2K

Could anyone tell me what a reset actually is. Is it a combo that resets damage that opponent can't get out of. Also does Cyrax or reptile or noob have any? Thanks.

It's usually a very narrow trap/ or guarantee'd hit. That causes the combo meter to reset to zero. But you are still able to keep combo'ing.

Most reset combos you gotta add up the percentages of 2 combos. But they were most likely "at the very least" almost guaranteed.

For example. cyrax resets because, when your combo ends and your opponent JUST gets out of hitlag. but a bomb was already set, and they don't have enough time to do anything. That is a reset because the combo meter (a meter that sorta increases your gravity[sorta] so your opponent falls lower and lower the more you combo them to prevent infinites.) was reset to zero allowing for another 30%+ more damage if done correctly.

so it links 2 combos together.

an example of a Noob saibot reset, He can land a portan and launch a shadow to sort of trap you on wake up. To falling in the portal if you block his shadow or get hit by it. But there is a small window in which someone can roll backwards to get out of the trap. But if the noob calls it they can back dash so the full screen edge is moved closer in so the opponent can't full roll back(But doing this, means you have to drop the shadow attack).

ECT ECT...

Basically... your combo ends... you set up a trap... that's hard to escape/impossible to escape that sets up for another whole combo.

most resets are achieveable through unblockables. But a few tricks like Jade's low boomerang can lead toa reset when it's enhanced, if the opponent fails to block low upon wake up.

its basically a combo that ends with a move that sets up a guaranteed hit or combo. its kinda hard to explain really. like...ur in a combo then the opponent ends the combo with a move and it sets up a guessing game. u literally have a sec to react correctly or ur gonna get hit. examples would be:

-ending juggles with jade's razorangs
-ending combos with johnny's nut punch
-ending juggles by whiffing mileenas teleport kick
-cyrax's infamous bombs.

there's many more. I would suggest watching videos on youtube as that would help u understand it more because you are actually seeing it. hope this helps

Those are some good examples.

Jade/Johnny are small window traps.

Where as cyrax is a guaranteed reset. ABSOLUTELY nothing you can do in most situations he does a bomb trap.

his old bomb trap is now a mix up. comparable to jade/johnny.

Guys, I think he wants laymens terms..

OP, here is an example using Sindel:

She can go jp into back 3, forward 2, forward 1, 1 into special.

However, if she does an Ex scream after her back 3, forward 2, she can start that WHOLE combo again! Sindel can only reset once though. Some lame characters like Cyrax and SZ can reset more than once.

Hope that is clear.

Great thanks very much for the replies, I understood them all so that was fine. So basically it's like your playing a game of rock paper scissor at the end of a combo trying to trap your opponent into another combo hoping he doesn't react or reacts incorrectly. That makes sense. Thanks.

Great thanks very much for the replies, I understood them all so that was fine. So basically it's like your playing a game of rock paper scissor at the end of a combo trying to trap your opponent into another combo hoping he doesn't react or reacts incorrectly. That makes sense. Thanks.

Some are guaranteed and its usually not rock paper scissors more of a coin flip.

i was gonna create a thread like this because i have no idea what "reset" mean in terms of MK...thanx man..

i thought a reset was also when you end a combo with a move that puts the opponent into stun but without knocking them down (so they cant wake-up attack)and leaves you at advantage.

example, cages nut punch.

quan chi's ex rune or telestomp (non ex) at the end of a combo.

do single hit moves count? like kabals f+4 ? (in air)

Yeah that's why it's confusing for a lot of people. There's actually 2 types of resets:

1. A juggle reset: normals or specials that leave the opponent standing and vulnerable to mixups that CAN be blocked. (Johnny Cage's nut punch, Sektor's flame thrower, Kabal's knee etc)

2. A damage scale reset: something that causes the combo scaling to end but is still considered a combo because the follow up CAN'T be blocked (Cyrax's net reset, Smoke's EN bomb reset, Sub's EN puddle reset).

I think we should come up with a better name for those instead of calling them just "resets".

yes! thank you, i tried explaining this to a mate and he thought i was just making it up and changing the definition as i went lol...

yehhh there should definatly be another name for one of them...
*thinking thinking*..