Freddy Krueger Thread - "Tell 'Em Freddy Sent Ya"

REPTILE 0009

Freddy Krueger
~Tell 'Em Freddy Sent Ya~
611px-Freddy_render2.png
UPDATE 2: Updated the Combos due to the new patch.

Gameplay Summery:
Spoiler:

Much like Yun from the Street Fighter series, Freddy is very powerful when it comes to being on the offense, but is very weak at being on defense. Freddy can punish whiffed specials from almost anywhere on the screen, can close the distance quickly, has very damaging and easy combos, had good mixups and 50/50's and can make opponents think twice about using wake ups. But, Freddy lacks an anti-air special, and his wakeup options aren't the best in the world. You're going to have to rely on his Dream Shift's to escape pressure. But even with these flaws, Freddy is still easily one of the most powerful characters in Mortal Kombat.

Need To Know Combos and Moves:
Spoiler:

In Your Dreams-Back+1, 2, Up+1: Freddy's main launching attack. Can be repeated twice in the same combo
and then followed up a Hell Spike or other special move.

Kung Fu This *****-2, 2, 1+2: The third input hits overhead, The second input can also combo into a Freddy Fingers, allowing a 50/50 situation.

Ungrateful Piggy-Back+3, 3: The first input hits low, can can combo into and EX Hell Spike. Low hitting combos are always good to know and this one is no exception.

Playing With Power-Forward+4, 2, 1: Extremely damaging for such a simple chain. Can combo into an X-Ray for some easy damage, or combo into an EX Hell Spike for increased juggling opportunities. This can also be used to end your juggles.

Notes on X-Ray:
Spoiler:

Base Damage: 34% damage. Unfortunately for Freddy, he is very meter-intensive for many of his combos, so most likely you won't be using this X-Ray. It's a shame too, as it's easily combo'd into, and can deal massive amounts of damage.

MISC Notes:
Spoiler:

Hell Spike (Close/Mid/Far): Easily Freddy's best move. This can punish whiffed specials from any range, and allow Freddy to start a combo from any range. The EX version tracks the enemy, and staggers them, giving Freddy lots of combo potential.

Glove Toss: Freddy's projectile. Does decent damage and is decently quick. The Power Glove Toss (EX version) can be combo into a Hell Spike.

Freddy Fingers: A low-hitting projectile much like Kung Lao's Low Hat. It's a bit slow, but is good to mix things up with the enemy. Also plays a part in his 50/50's.

Dream Shift: This gives Freddy a ton of mobility, as he can close the distance, or escape pressure very quickly.

Sweet Dreams: A slow projectile that drops on top of the enemy's head, and stuns them for a brief moment for a combo. Can set up resets and prevent enemies from using wake up attacks.

Nightmare Stance: Serves as a good mixup opportunity. Freddy can do a Launching, Overhead, or Low attack from this stance. He can also dash cancel out of this stance.

Notations:
Spoiler:

1=Front Punch
2=Back Punch
3=Front Kick
4=Back Kick
EX=Enhanced Version

Hell Spike (Close): Down, Back+1
Hell Spike (Medium): Down, Forward+1
Hell Spike (Far): Down, Back, Forward+1
Sweet Dreams: Down, Forward+4
Glove Toss: Back, Forward+2
Freddy Fingers: Down, Back+2
Dream Shift (Away): Down, Back+3
Dream Shift (Towards): Down, Forward+3
Nightmare Stance: Down, Back+4

Tactics:
Spoiler:

Vs. Projectile Spammers, Zoner and Keepaway: Freddy has two very solid projectiles, meaning that he can easily compete with many characters in the ranged game. Remember that Freddy needs meter to be at his most effective, so it's a good idea to throw out his projectiles. If your getting beaten in a projectile war, use Freddy's Dream Shifts to close the distance quickly.

Vs. Teleports: Simply block and punish. Freddy can get huge damage off of punishes, so be sure to capitalize on these opportunities.

Anti-Air: The term "a strong offense makes the best defense" definitely applies to Freddy, which is good considering that Freddy is rather weak when it comes to anti-airs. The best strategy is to never let the enemy rush you down.

Building Meter: Freddy is heavily dependent on meter for his most damaging combos, thus you'll want to be building as much meter as possible. Be sure to throw out Glove Toss's and Freddy Fingers when it's safe to build that extra meter. You can even build meter by moving around the screen using his Dream Shift's. It'll take you awhile though, as around eighteen Dream Shifts will be need to build one bar of meter.

Last edited:
Re: Freddy Krueger Thread- "Tell 'Em Freddy Sent Ya"

Custom Combos:
Spoiler:

Regular Combos:
-Back+1, 2, Up+1, Nightmare Stance, 1, Dash, Back+2, Forward+4, 2, 1, Hell Spike (Far): 32% damage.

Enhanced Combos:
-Back+3, 3, EX Hell Spike, Dash, Dash, Forward+4, 2, 1, Hell Spike (Mid), Hell Spike (Far): 32% damage.

-Back+1, 2, Up+1, Back+2, Forward+4, 2, 1, EX Hell Spike, Glove Toss: 36% damage.

-Neutral Jump Punch, Back+2, Forward+4, 2, 1, EX Hell Spike, Glove Toss: 32% damage. Due to the fact that Freddy lacks anti-air options, this combo is good to know.

Corner Combos:
-Jump Kick, Forward+4, 2, 1, Hell Spike (Close), Forward+4, 2, 1, EX Hell Spike, Forward+4, 2, 1: 38% damage.

-Forward+4, 2, 1, Hell Spike (Close), Forward+4, 2, 1, Glove Toss: 33% damage.

-Back+1, 2, Up+1, Nightmare Stance, 1, Forward+4, 2, 1, EX Hell Spike, Forward+4, 2, 1, Glove Toss: 39% damage.

X-Ray Combos:
-(Corner) Forward+4, 2, 1, Hell Spike (Close), Forward+4, 2, 1, X-Ray: 43% damage.

Pros and Cons:
Spoiler:

Pros:
-Easy and very damaging combos
-Good mixups and 50/50's
-Excellent punishing game
-Excellent zoning, which also allows him to quickly gain meter

Cons:
-Lacks anti-air options
-Heavily meter dependent
-Poor wakeup options

Last edited:

Freddy Krueger's Matchups:
Spoiler:

To be updated

Freddy Krueger's Best and Worst Matchups:
Spoiler:

To be updated.

Matchups Notations:
Spoiler:

1= Strong Advantage
2= Slight Advantage
3= Even Matchup
4= Slight Disadvantage
5= Strong Disadvantage

Baraka:

Cyrax:

Ermac:

Jade:

Jax:

Johnny Cage:

Kabal:

Kano:

Kitana:

Kung Lao:

Liu Kang:

Mileena:

Nightwolf:

Noob Saibot:

Quan Chi:

Raiden:

Reptile:

Scorpion:

Sektor:

Shang Tsung:

Sheeva:

Sindel:

Smoke:

Sonya:

Stryker:

Sub-Zero:

Cyber Sub-Zero:

Last edited:

Not trying to flame, but why wouldn't you just contribute to the existing thread?

I rarely update my Sektor thread, but people still go and post their combos and tactics.

Not trying to flame, but why wouldn't you just contribute to the existing thread?

I rarely update my Sektor thread, but people still go and post their combos and tactics.
Because the OP hadn't even finished the Freddy thread. And I don't think he's even been on TRMK for weeks.

Thanks Reptile 009, this thread is already a ton better than the original, I vote for this to be stickied so we don't have to go through 100's of posts to find decent info. Out of curiosity, what are Freddy's wake up moves? I think the tele is one, not sure if he has any others.

this is my first post so I apologise if it's been answered before. (and I didn't want to start a new thread on the topic).

the xbox version is in the post to me as I write and I plan on getting the dlc. I was wondering if there's an alternative skin for freddy, one that looks less like the recent remake and more like the englund series freddy?

this is my first post so I apologise if it's been answered before. (and I didn't want to start a new thread on the topic).

the xbox version is in the post to me as I write and I plan on getting the dlc. I was wondering if there's an alternative skin for freddy, one that looks less like the recent remake and more like the englund series freddy?

Welcome to the forums! That approach is always appreciated, although this thread (as well as the others in this section) is actually for gameplay discussion specifically, so a question like this would probably be better for the Freddy thread in the DLC section, which is more for general discussion.

Anyway, there aren't any alternative skins for the DLC characters right now, including Freddy.

12 posts in the Freddy thread?

Very poor show! I've decided to give Freddy a go now, and even after the patch, the character still has some very powerful combos. He's also quite technical to use. I would say in terms of technicality, he falls between Skarlet and CSZ, as in... he is less technical than Skarlet, but more technical than CSZ (who are both considered pretty technical in their own right).

1, 2, Freddy's coming for you.
3, 4, better lock your door.
5, 6, grab your Crucifix.
7, 8, gotta stay up late.
9, 10, never sleep again.

Between Glove Toss (faster than Kanos knives), Hell Spikes, Freddy Fingers and Sweet Dreams, Freddy has to be arguably one of the best zoners in the game. I know Hell Spikes aren't necessarily a projectile but you can use that as an anti air or long distance pressure.

I'm picking up Freddy and would greatly appreciate some tips on how to use him effectively.

*crickets*

Anyone there?

Freddy's combos are hard as hell D:

I'm going to keep practicing. The U1 launcher is really throwing me off.

Messing with Freddy in the lab today, came up with some a pretty nice set up I think.

Sorry for the quality

jknoimnotlolgafs