Does gameplay differ from Player mode Vs. Ranked?

kyoryoku

I'm not sure if it's just me, but I perceive a huge difference between the way people play on regular Player 1v1 and Tag versus Ranked matches.
I've played at least 5 of the top 20 on 1v1 ranked and they are nothing but spammers.
With that said, it makes me wonder: do you have to be a spammer to be a winner in MK?
I know the Leaderboard does not rank according to W:L - rather, total games w/ W:L - so it distorts the picture of who is really good out there.
There's always posts on here about how to deal with spammers and honestly, saying is not doing.

I've noticed that people on Player mode, even if they lose, will still like to stay around and play a few matches w/o complaining; however, on ranked, people are "competitive" and talk shit after one match, send hate mail, and laugh at you because they spammed to win and call you a loser.
I've also found that on ranked, people will depend on one combo the whole time and use a trap like Cyrax's net to pull it off. They will also do JP non-stop until they land it to do the combo.
When it comes down to the last few hits on both players, I usually see desperation from the opponent by resorting to cheap tactics by throwing a barrage of projectiles.
It seems that on Player mode, people don't play as cheap, use the same combo, or spam nearly as much. It's not that they necessarily don't care when they play, it seems they just want to play more for fun. Your thoughts?

Please, no asshat remarks about how to deal with spammers or how to use block (high or low). It's pretty obvious and unrelated to this topic.
I just want to know if anyone else has noticed this too.
Thanks

Last edited:
Everything you said is true!
To my knowledge, I've only vs'd the top player on ps3. He spammed noob saibot and Kung lao. I've played people that have an infinite combo with cyrax. It really shows the integrity of the online community when they use cheap tricks to win.

I've been lucky with ranked, Most of the people I've played weren't the cheap spammers. I have played some, though.

I would say I have had the complete opposite experience. More of the cheap players I have faced were in player matches. Most of the guys I have played with great records were pretty cheap, and are the guys that fill up the chat with nonsense. Others I have played weren't and were truely skilled.

I don't let it bother me though. It's online, you can get away with lots online.

Nice thread.

in my experience on ladder 2vs2 ( at the moment i'm 18th on PS3 EU ) i see lot of people just spamming over and over and loosing. I find just a few very good against i lost.
But the majority of the community who plays ranked ( always 2vs2, i don't know about 1vs1 ) generally quits to preserve the score.
I realized that score is nothing, if i loose, i loose. They can give me an uppercut, make a fatality or whatever, but i won't never quit, is senseless.
That's why you find some incredibile scores like 980 / 5 and then if u face this player you discover he is absolutely worthless. i should have something like 4xx/43 as score, and all my 43 losses are "real". I hope you understand what i mean ( and sorry for my terrible english, i'm italian ), that's why playing ranked most of the time is frustrating. Normally it goes this way:

- you find a good player, you could win so as could loose.
- a player sees your score and leaves before the match
- you find a player with a good score, you play your match, you are gonna win, they disconnect.

so what i mean is that it's really hard to find someone who does not quit.

the same amount of spammers on Ranked i seem to find on Player, just my opinion though.. even the folks at the top of the leaderboards i find spamming, it is hard to find a good player to go up against here and there

Ugh.. It really P.M.O when People rage quit or Pull, Its like Just except the fact that you lost. How can you call yourself a skill player if you Pull %90 Of the time. C'mon =/

And Yeah i've noticed it, But i dont really rely on my Go-to %35 With Mileena to win, i really like to mix my combos up seems like its harder for them to read different combos.

What confuses me is that most of the active members on the board will always say spammers are the easiest to deal with and that you should "just do X to counter Y." It's not that simple. I've said it a few times but it's easier said than done. This also leaves to to ask that if they are so easy to beat, why do some of them have high W:L and top the leaderboards? Do they pull the plug a lot to lower their losses? Is their W:L legit with no dc's? Or is spamming really effective?
I honestly (yet sadly) believe that spamming does work in different ways.
Most of my losses to spammers is by fluke timing. I hold block high or low as necessary and by random chance, just as I let go of block, they do their move again and get me.

I don't play ranked matches AT ALL! 95% of the people I played, played like douchebags! Spamming! Turtling! All of the above! I only play player match. Nothing else.

What confuses me is that most of the active members on the board will always say spammers are the easiest to deal with and that you should "just do X to counter Y." It's not that simple. I've said it a few times but it's easier said than done. This also leaves to to ask that if they are so easy to beat, why do some of them have high W:L and top the leaderboards? Do they pull the plug a lot to lower their losses? Is their W:L legit with no dc's? Or is spamming really effective?
I honestly (yet sadly) believe that spamming does work in different ways.
Most of my losses to spammers is by fluke timing. I hold block high or low as necessary and by random chance, just as I let go of block, they do their move again and get me.

Depends of the kind of spamming. If it is projectile spamming, then you can prolly get around it and punish them real hard and prevent them from doing it again. Some are harder than they should be because of how online is.

Some can be spamming a cheap tactic that works online really well. An example would be the Raiden and his teleport to grab, kick starting combo, or superman, or just superman in general. This tactic can be hard to get away from because it works so well online. This same tactic woudn't work to the degree it does online. Reptile's dash and Kano's upball get abused online because it is hard to punish with all the lag and delay, but offline you can punish it fairly easy

i dont play cheap,dont spam, but i do smash people, sometimes to the point that they wont even play a second game, thats why i've started playing ranked, i know they aint gonna play twice agaisnt my QC in player, and because of my record alot of people decline me..
so i play ranked because people dont have a choice once the game connects, and i dont have to play nice just to get another game out of them. i can play as hard as i want, often flawlessing with quan, no exaggeration.

do you consider flawlessing someone being cheap??or dog??
i can see why it wouldnt be much fun for someone in player match.
but all is fair in ranked.

ranked is the only place i will lock you down with quan and not feel bad about it.

i played a kunglao in ranked, all he did first round was spam the low hat,airkick, second round was tight,
then 3rd round i win by means of runetrap. he quits out before it technicaly finishes..
i send him a message ' lol.. did you quit? '

he replies ' i dont play spamming *****es'

wtf!? QC vs KL is a effin hard matchup!! and the only time i used the same move in succession was in the rune trap.

i dont play cheap,dont spam, but i do smash people, sometimes to the point that they wont even play a second game, thats why i've started playing ranked, i know they aint gonna play twice agaisnt my QC in player, and because of my record alot of people decline me..
so i play ranked because people dont have a choice once the game connects, and i dont have to play nice just to get another game out of them. i can play as hard as i want, often flawlessing with quan, no exaggeration.

do you consider flawlessing someone being cheap??or dog??
i can see why it wouldnt be much fun for someone in player match.
but all is fair in ranked.

ranked is the only place i will lock you down with quan and not feel bad about it.

i played a kunglao in ranked, all he did first round was spam the low hat,airkick, second round was tight,
then 3rd round i win by means of runetrap. he quits out before it technicaly finishes..
i send him a message ' lol.. did you quit? '

he replies ' i dont play spamming *****es'

wtf!? QC vs KL is a effin hard matchup!! and the only time i used the same move in succession was in the rune trap.

Ya, that matchup isn't really in your favor. It's like 2-8 or something lopsided like that. I don't think it would be in your favor even if the Lao wasn't that skilled.

I really hate fighting raidens in ranked. If the are good that's one thing, but most are what I described some above. Sometimes I can heat them but other times I can't. If I'm sub I have more trouble with it, but for some reason as kenshi I don't have as hard of a time. Played two today, beat one and lost to the other. Both times as kenshi. Then played a kano spammer. He was easy.

I'm a savage in Ranked, I just rape with no remorse.

In Player I hold back.
It takes forever to find a player and I don't want them declining :laugh: