The Hobbit

I hated the bullshit they came up with the Witch-King being sealed in a tomb or something then breaking free. He simply escaped the final battle in Eriador after taunting Earnur and hid in Mordor until the LOTR events took place. Otherwise, the movie is great. But there are unnecessary changes to some details that bothered me.

Sort-of. Sauron himself was inhabiting Dol Guldur and Mirkwood under the guise of the Necromancer. While it's said the Witch-king was in Mordor rebulding Minas Morgul and Barad-dur, the seat of Sauron's power, it's not unwarranted that he went between Mordor and his master. The bigger point they were making in the scenes with Radagast was that Sauron, a.k.a 'The Necromancer" was in Dol Guldur.

Last edited:
Sort-of. Sauron himself was inhabiting Dol Guldur and Mirkwood under the guise of the Necromancer. While it's said the Witch-king was in Mordor rebulding Minas Morgul and Barad-dur, the seat of Sauron's power, it's not unwarranted that he went between Mordor and his master. The bigger point they were making in the scenes with Radagast was that Sauron, a.k.a 'The Necromancer" was in Dol Guldur.

I understood it. Hell, the Witch-King himself might have paid a visit to Sauron in Dol Guldur, but to say he was bound to a tomb and buried with a Morgul Blade was unnecessary fanfiction. If they wanted the Morgul Blade to be such a strong factor when the White Counsel is discussing the Necromancer, they could have simply have Radagast find it on the ground after seeing Sauron's shadow. Instead, they came up with the Lord of the Ringwraiths coming out of a statue in his Twilight form to attack the brown wizard for 2 seconds then vanish, coming up with a ridiculous explanation that goes against what Tolkien himself wrote.

Just watched part 1 last night (forgot they changed it to 3 parts now ugh) loved the way they adapted the dwarves and the guy playing Bilbo feels right (albeit a bit too quirky at times) always glad to see Gandolf. However there were parts that felt like drawn out filler plus the opening started like 3 times with old bilbo, the dwarves, and young bilbo kind seemed excessive but not a big issue more of an oddity to me.

I wasn't stoked about Azog being added in but in retro spect it sort of made sense IN THIS FILM giving the wargs a purpose other than just randomly attacking thorin and company. I can't wait for The Desolation of Smaug, more so that seeing the battle of five armies bit I wanna see the dragon in all its gold encrusted glory.

Lol that 'poop' on his head was actually meant to be tree sap, according to the costume designer but I guess the nest on his head sealed it as the former. :p

Another thing I wish they address in the coming movies is

Spoiler:
regarding the eagles. I hope they put in something that clarify why the eagles can't just fly the dwarves to Erebor nor why they are always available for help. The casual audience would find it quite repetitive.

I understood it. Hell, the Witch-King himself might have paid a visit to Sauron in Dol Guldur, but to say he was bound to a tomb and buried with a Morgul Blade was unnecessary fanfiction. If they wanted the Morgul Blade to be such a strong factor when the White Counsel is discussing the Necromancer, they could have simply have Radagast find it on the ground after seeing Sauron's shadow. Instead, they came up with the Lord of the Ringwraiths coming out of a statue in his Twilight form to attack the brown wizard for 2 seconds then vanish, coming up with a ridiculous explanation that goes against what Tolkien himself wrote.

A bit late on this, but if what I heard from many interviews/rumors are true, there is going to be a good reason on why the Witchking's story was altered, and we will get to see it in The Desolation of Smaug.

Also some images of Smaug
Spoiler:
Smaug, at the scene where Thror loses the Arkenstone.
35lrdap.jpg
Take note of his distinctive crown.

This is another pic that has been floating around

smaug.jpg

The crown seems to be the same and the uploader had other hobbit related CGI character models as well.

I hope so Lil' Jinko. Can't wait for that and There and Back Again to come out later on in the year (I know the 3rd one is gonna come out in late 2014-early 2015).

There and back again is scheduled to release sooner than expected Vigilante, the official release date was confirmed to be July 18, 2014.

Another thing I loved about An Unexpected Journey were the little trivia and details from Tolkien's works ( the blue wizards, Ungoliant etc) and certan hints to the LOTR movies (Gloin having trouble with his pony). It made it all the more enriching.

Last edited:
The third hobbit movie, There and Back again has been pushed to a December 2014 release from an initial summer 2014 release to coincide with how the LOTR movies played out.

http://www.theonering.net/torwp/2013/02/28/69532-third-hobbit-moved-from-july-to-december-2014/

Also The first movie, An Unexpected Journey is currently standing at the 12th highest grossing film of all time somewhere around 980 million and is due to break 1 billion in two weeks after its release in China last week.