Help against Kano!

white_ninja

I can't win against dat **tch! It doesn't matter if the player is skilled or not. He spams me with knives and up balls and I can't get close to him. I win against good players with my Sub-Zero but Kano is a nightmare... I hate him and Raiden online.

Fighters with reflective/neutralize abilities: Jade/Nightwolf/Noob :) and anticipate.. when he throws knives use a teleport attack, when balling you fire projectiles or block it and destroy him :)

learn the movesets before you complain?

you can duck (dont block) knives and they go right over your head. just have to watch out for ex knives.

his upball is punishable by low pokes, fast uppercuts and fast specials on block (in your case, slide)

DONT JUMP IN PUNCH A KANO, that is upball range, when your within JiP range dashblock in, or bait a ball.

hes really not that hard..., his most dangerous thing id say isnt his upball or his knive, but his low hit starter and choke move.

i beat alot of subs just for the simple fact that most just clone hide and slide and i punish off the slide. its that easy you just might want to learn to read your opponent better.

guys, leave him alone. u guys make it seem like kano is the easiest person to beat in the game when he isn't. but he also isn't the hardest. beating kano requires patience. u can't just rush him down because he'll just upball you and u can't turtle neither because he'll just spam you with knives. so wat to do? here's my advice...play a counter game. if he starts throwin knives, evade it by just ducking over it without blocking. keep doin it. eventually they will catch on that ur evading it and then they'll try and move in with cannonball(the ball that goes full screen) or the air cannonball. if u see these moves coming, block it and punish them with a combo. if u manage to knock him down, dash block but not to close because his upball has good range. do something that'll bait him into waking up with up. if he whiffs it, punish with a full combo. if you block it, do low pokes, an uppercut(if u have a fast one) or a fast super move(reptiles dash, raidens gibberish spear, etc). if kano has a full bar, stay as far away from him as possible because they'll be begging to land his xray. don't let this happen. zone him out and if u land a combo starter, try and make the combo last as long as possible so he can break it. never jump in on kano, if you do then you're going to eat an upball. so there you go, patience is the best way to beat him imo. I hope this helps you

Kano's XRay is brutal and does around 42% damage.

Like Raiden, Kano is something of a "chore"...you have to wear him down gradually.

My weakness in the game is im a bit impatient and I like rushing down, but with a goon like Kano you just have to counter his specials and every opportunity.

i beat alot of subs just for the simple fact that most just clone hide and slide and i punish off the slide. its that easy you just might want to learn to read your opponent better.

As a Sub-Zero player that makes me sad... lots of people play stupid with Sub-Zero, hiding behind an ice clone, most of them, dont know the true power of Sub-Zero's rushdow.

About Kano.

*Dont JP
*Use low hit moves (slide)
*If he throws knives, you throw iceballs, he will hit you but you will have the opportunity to make a full combo on him while freezed. ;)
*If you want to approach, dash block to avoid retarded-balls.

Throwing ice balls won't beat Kano's knives. If Kano is far on the opposite side of the screen, he can just throw knives and block in time the ice balls get near him. Kano's knives are simply too fast in recovery, you won't beat Kano's zoning with Sub-Zero. On the other hand, tha may work if you cut some distance at least mid screen, but again, Sub-Zero's ice ball is a bit unsafe since it takes a bit of time to start it when Kano's projectile is much much faster...

You can slide under his knifes if your reactions are good.

He can't rush you down because of the clone, so Kano has to stay back and hope not to eat slides or trade with ice ball.

Kano is broken online. The lag makes his ball an absolute pain in the ass.

low pokes, fast uppercuts, fast specials are whats needed to punish his blocked balls. if your trying anything else you may be in for a rude awakening.

if your still having trouble i suggest working on your reaciton time.

if he starts throwin knives, evade it by just ducking over it without blocking. keep doin it. eventually they will catch on that ur evading it and then they'll try and move in with cannonball(the ball that goes full screen) or the air cannonball.

I don't know about Kano players, but if they avoid my projectiles, I keep throwin them for meter and for occasional chip ;)

What you wanna do is NOT start off ice cloning. You wanna try going up and starting off dash blocking and when the chance strikes: 2, 1, 2 ice clone. However, if he up balls, punish it (as you ARE dash blocking), if he's blocking low learn the distance of f4 (or was it f3? I don't remember), as it pops up as a middle and ice ball him and initiate whatever combo you're used to, or stun him with b1, 2 1 so he can't wake him up and you'll be free to do some damage even if it's blocked, and do 2, 1, 2 ice clone. Coax him afterwards into sliding (unless he's blocking low) or sweep if possible, then pop him with a f3/4 (whatever that middle kick was), and repeat. Hope this helps :D
(edit)
Also like everyone said do NOT jump, and anticipate every wake up attack when he's on the floor.
Plus no offense, but if you lose to Kano when playing as Sub-Zero, that's horrible. Sub-Zero RAPES Kano.

Lolwut?

Last edited:
Kano is my main and I gotta say I have started only using the upball when it appears its going to be a guaranteed hit, such as an anti-air or a combo ender or if they are trying to rushdown on my wakeup. So many people have learned to punish it, the KEY is you have to use a low starter/poke or a fast uppercut/special like others on this thread have mentioned. So many scrub Kano's are easily baited into using their upball, many tend to spam it on wakeup as well.

If you're one of those ppl only using jumping in as your means to rushdown and not using dashes against Kano and Kung Lao you're just asking to be upball'd/hatspin'd, they easily have the best anti-air in the game. People just complain about Kung more cause he can combo with it where Kano can't

One trick might be to dash into sweep range when you knock Kano down then do an ice clone on Kano's wake up, an upball spammer will land right into the clone

I don't care what anyone says, every character is pretty well balanced and definitely beatable... even online

Don't try to punish his knives -- he has too fast recovery from them. I play Kano every once in a while and I like to block after throwing knives every time just in case, because people try to punish it with teleports or their own projectiles all the time, and then I can potentially get a combo off on them.
However, he can't duck+block fast enough to catch you when you can slide under the knives on reaction, or you can just duck (without blocking) and slowly dashblock toward him.
Once you get close, be careful of his upball -- don't jump at him, and don't get close to him when he's on the ground unless you're baiting it (I suggest dashing in then iceclone). Jumping in and ice cloning to catch his upball can work sometimes, but it requires very strict timing and just the right distance. It's not a very safe trick, so I don't recommend it.
Use alot of pokes because he's a fast character, and you want to watch out for his choke.
Sometimes they will try to do the other forward ball move, which is very risky for them if you either block or ice clone. If you can read when he's about to do that move, it becomes alot easier because it's the easiest one to counter. However, a good player probably wouldn't use it against Sub Zero.

Also, if you want to do a ground combo after blocking their upball, you can do an ice puddle -- he'll land in it and get stuck. This should be practiced first to learn the timing, though. Plus of course it scales the damage lower, just like iceball.

Last edited:
This ^

Plus no offense, but if you lose to Kano when playing as Sub-Zero, that's horrible. Sub-Zero RAPES Kano.
im sorry what? so then some ones zoning you throwing knives with kano, you manage to evade them then boom kano ball, sub zero sucks against zoners/spammers no denying at all. I main sub zero but there are alot of situations he can get in to that he cannot get out off. to be honest only character i usually have trouble facing when im sub zero is a kano spammer or a noob spammer.