The Official Video Critique Thread

Flagg I just have to say one thing.... WHY THE HELL DO YOU START OFF WITH A JUMP IN AGAINT SUBZERO?

that's the WORST thing you can do to yourself. The only counter to a ice clone at the start of a match is open with a EX fast approaching special that has armor, or throwing a projectile out immediately.

I'll do a thorough critique tomorrow if i'm off at a decent time.

Lol because I've played Gutz before and he doesn't usually start with a clone, BUT as a SZ player he expects you to think he will, hence why I tried to take the initiatuve first. Most other times I'd have low fireballed at the start.

Lol because I've played Gutz before and he doesn't usually start with a clone, BUT as a SZ player he expects you to think he will, hence why I tried to take the initiatuve first. Most other times I'd have low fireballed at the start.

I guess if you KNOW, but that's still extremely risky. giving a subzero a shot at meter bonus, and a 30% combo off the bat.

you should be more cautious at the start of a match. doing gutsy risky things like that right at the start is I dunno. I say you open with a dash block/projectile/safe anti air/nuetral jump punch/

A friendly match vs Exemery. I know i won but still i had a hard time against his zonning game <_<

I rendered in 720p for a reason <_< (Watch in 720p)

I played a best of 3 against GUTZnG0Re, and the matches went 2-1 to me. First game was SIndel vs SZ (lost), then Baraka vs SZ (won) and the last game was Baraka vs Scorpion (won).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_zQAFZyLsg&feature=player_embedded (this game I lost)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V0hjzhEUFfU&feature=related (this game I won, though i did a lot of stupid things in the first round)

I usually play a lot more aggresively, and when the 3 d match becomes available, i'll put it up and that may show. But fear of his ice clones...i don't know if it made me cautious, which was a good thing, or restricted me too much to playing to full potential. It was quite interesting to watch because i've never watched a replay of myself, playing this game before.

@:27 what I said earlier... I don't think jumping in is a good idea. he went for slide if you did a standard back dash block he would hit you low, so a back dash low block is the safest opening against subzero. If he jumps in on you you can on reaction drop block uppercut. If he dashes in you can drop block do a quick move. It's a big mix up game but I wouldn't jump in on subzero. Nor Jade for that matter if you ever get to fight her.

@:29. You got your EX charge blocked. when you realized you whiffed a kick. You shouldn't known subzero would be able to block in time. Meter management.

@:31 the trick to stopping slide. Because they will throw it out. Is to block high after a clone like you did. Then dash back block low. You block high to begin with to bait the slide. A subzero won't slide obviously if you obviously block low. So mix up from high then to low. To bait it. If you mix up low and high A LOT. he will probably be too afraid to use it. thus giving you an advantage. but you can react to subzero's overhead in his strings the only one you can't react to is his F4(or was it F3?) but he has to get in your face for that, which you can call out if he's dashing in from behind a clone lol

@:51 random spin? Isn't that a move you should use as a react move on jump ins, and as a overhead against low blockers? It look like you just threw it out to throw it out. When subzero was in perfect control of himself. even though your spin is safer now, even if he misses punishment you give him free advantage for nothing.

@:55 pretty sure that reset don't work anymore right? just hold the jump back button? not sure. were you blocking? I don't know what you were trying to do once you were unfrozen.

@1:10: oh man, he's got a significant life lead. and you threw away all possible meter advantage for next round. But throwing out those EX charges. Gutz was probably glad you threw meter on that. I know it's hard to get through that stuff w/o meter. But your better off just doing it the hard way and dash blocking subzero into a corner as long as you got enough time on the clock. Gutz was playing it safe once he got the lead and knew you would probably burn meter to get to his zoning.

So now he has meter advantage round 2.

Where if you would've saved all your EX charges that didn't really help you and was a HUGE gamble to try and come back. You could've had a X-ray or a EX+Breaker or 3 EX's for round2.

NOTE: spacing in game 2 opening few seconds is really good.

1:42: Missed combo opportunity. You got greed for jump in punch. Just do your standard combos off the ground.

@2:10 I would stay back, and play passive. stay mid screen so it looks like your trying to find an opening but really your trying to bait him to approach. and back dash to escape his approach them punish. When your that far ahead play it safe. He's the one getting desperate for a win.

I was gonna comment on you getting hit by slide but you learned and adapted so no point.

@2:45... the clone was out, why did you spin right there? You almost ran into it for free. and subzero wasn't jumping or anything.

A friendly match vs Exemery. I know i won but still i had a hard time against his zonning game <_<

man you would get raped by a pro kabal. no offense lol. I would too.. if I didn't use Jade. I just glow through everything lol.

But since I don't need to break down the video.

all you need to do is NEVER JUMP. you should dash duck, to avoid gas mask balls don't block you give him chip and double meter building. Just dash in duck, dash in duck. watch for the low ones and block while your "ducking" just watch kabals body for the animation.

Once you start getting too close though it's dangerous. You can't react to anything. So I would just dash in. Most kabals won't go for another gas mask shot when your this close. They go for that speed dash move, jump in on your fear and start upclose pressure, Or throw a low saw move thinking your gonna block high.

It's a mix up once you get close.

he can overhead you/ low attack/ EX spin through your crap/ regular spin for your jump in attempt. IMO stand block covers most options, but that eats a low saw.

the finally call out once you get close is a little dangerous. But don't be fooled it's equally dangerous for kabal.

If you block the low saw, punish(fast normals). If you block a gas mask move and your close, dash in D1. If you block a spin dash, full combo punishment. If he jumps in, dash back and sweep or roll I dunno lol. If you can't punish the jump in because you already holding block out of fear, you'll just have to try and jab out of his pressure, and gain advantage.

Last edited:
@:27 what I said earlier... I don't think jumping in is a good idea. he went for slide if you did a standard back dash block he would hit you low, so a back dash low block is the safest opening against subzero. If he jumps in on you you can on reaction drop block uppercut. If he dashes in you can drop block do a quick move. It's a big mix up game but I wouldn't jump in on subzero. Nor Jade for that matter if you ever get to fight her.

@:29. You got your EX charge blocked. when you realized you whiffed a kick. You shouldn't known subzero would be able to block in time. Meter management.

@:31 the trick to stopping slide. Because they will throw it out. Is to block high after a clone like you did. Then dash back block low. You block high to begin with to bait the slide. A subzero won't slide obviously if you obviously block low. So mix up from high then to low. To bait it. If you mix up low and high A LOT. he will probably be too afraid to use it. thus giving you an advantage. but you can react to subzero's overhead in his strings the only one you can't react to is his F4(or was it F3?) but he has to get in your face for that, which you can call out if he's dashing in from behind a clone lol

@:51 random spin? Isn't that a move you should use as a react move on jump ins, and as a overhead against low blockers? It look like you just threw it out to throw it out. When subzero was in perfect control of himself. even though your spin is safer now, even if he misses punishment you give him free advantage for nothing.

@:55 pretty sure that reset don't work anymore right? just hold the jump back button? not sure. were you blocking? I don't know what you were trying to do once you were unfrozen.

@1:10: oh man, he's got a significant life lead. and you threw away all possible meter advantage for next round. But throwing out those EX charges. Gutz was probably glad you threw meter on that. I know it's hard to get through that stuff w/o meter. But your better off just doing it the hard way and dash blocking subzero into a corner as long as you got enough time on the clock. Gutz was playing it safe once he got the lead and knew you would probably burn meter to get to his zoning.

So now he has meter advantage round 2.

Where if you would've saved all your EX charges that didn't really help you and was a HUGE gamble to try and come back. You could've had a X-ray or a EX+Breaker or 3 EX's for round2.

NOTE: spacing in game 2 opening few seconds is really good.

1:42: Missed combo opportunity. You got greed for jump in punch. Just do your standard combos off the ground.

@2:10 I would stay back, and play passive. stay mid screen so it looks like your trying to find an opening but really your trying to bait him to approach. and back dash to escape his approach them punish. When your that far ahead play it safe. He's the one getting desperate for a win.

I was gonna comment on you getting hit by slide but you learned and adapted so no point.

@2:45... the clone was out, why did you spin right there? You almost ran into it for free. and subzero wasn't jumping or anything.

Thanks dude, you're right on just about every point. The worst thing I did was burn meter, unecessarily in the first round, when I had slim chance of taking it. I've actually learned from that now, and wont use a breaker or ex move, if the round is slipping from my grasp. I've started learning to save meter, to give me more advantage next round. He also used his meter much better, as you could see on about 2 or 3 occasions, he breakered me when I was about to punish with a full combo.

Yeah, the random "spin", im not sure what I was doing there. I think I was probably going for a fireball but pressed the wrong damn button for some reason. I#ll have to relook at the video.

Hmm, just looked at. Yeah, there were two or three times when I threw out a reckless spin. I keep forgetting that it's sub zero. I sometimes anticipate people to go for the jp, hence the spin, but a lot of Subbys iceclone on wake up.

And you're right about Jade. The amount of times a Jade opens the round with a B2, or U3. I ALWAYS back-dash, because if they go for that, I get a free blade charge.

Baraka does have some mid attacks. Like B2, F2. His 2,2, 1+2. and his U4, but U4 can be blocked on reaction.

I need to use his D, F 1 more. Tom Brady says that is completely safe on block now, so try and end blocked strings with that, as people are beginning to learn that blade charge IS punishable on block. It has a small window like the Reptile Elbow, but punishable all the same.

Thanks again Critical!

Anybody know how to upload a video from your phone to the computer?

What kind of phone you got?

most phones have a cord that goes into the phone then that cord has a USB on the other end that goes into your computer. And sorta becomes a USB drive where you can drag over images/videos.

I've uploaded pics from my PC to my Blackberry. Videos should be no different, and I'd imagine a Samsung or a an iPhone would have a similiar feature?

I was so damn salty aboot our Mileena fights so I thought zoning would "release" some steam XD

Last edited:
me (emp chao) fighting a clan member.

lemme kno your thoughts!

youtube.com/watch?v=dwYWcW_KpuI

Sick mileena man, I hate having a 360... Its stupid to pay for gold. I would have used D+4 more often to condition him to block low and follow up with U+4 into my BnB.

Yung and I played a FT5, lol. If you want to Critique [MENTION=8252]Critical-Limit[/MENTION] , go for it.