The Official Video Critique Thread

Critical-Limit

Video Critique

Synopsis:
This thread will be dedicated to improving ones skill through showing a video of themselves for critique. Do not be shy to post extremely bad matches against a player who could flawless you half the time. To be honest the BEST way to critique you is for you to fight against someone who you lose to 90% of the time but once out of like 10 matches you can squeeze a win. That way we can see your options and not just seeing you get combo'd to death. Hard to give advice on your offense when you weren't able to preform any. I want anyone to help jump in on this if you could.

Format:

1.) It must be a match of you losing. preferably best 2 of 3.

0:05: You should've opened with U3, it's twice more safe that the move you used.
0:17: He crossover jumped you at :10 after the same string. You should start nuetral jump punching
:45: You dropped a combo, If it was lag w/e. If your not sure you might want to look into improving your combo consistency.
1:00: You dropped 2 bars of meter to desperately win, when you were already at a major disadvantage and lost. So now you start round 2 with nothing.

^ This is how I want to see the advice. pointing out every mistake and how to fix it.

ECT ECT ECT... I'm sure you get the picture.

Explain in depth why you say they should do something. Just telling someone to do something will only help them once. If you teach them why, they can self teach later.
You can feed a child.... But if you teach a child to hunt/cook you have fed them for life.

I hope people take advantage of this for sometimes even if you think you know enough. You will be greatly surprised by what other people can offer you. Even people less skilled than you.

So post your matches!!

FLAMING OR CALLING SOMEONE A NEWB WILL NOT BE TOLERATED PLEASE.

Last edited:
This is an amazing idea. I remember you talking about this. Wish I had a way to upload videos to improve my gameplay, but learning from others mistakes will help me nonetheless. This stuff is sticky worthy. Thanks alot Critical Limit, ever since you joined here, I felt the importance of getting better at the game has improved drastically at this site. Hope you keep enlightening us with your insights. :)

This is an amazing idea. I remember you talking about this. Wish I had a way to upload videos to improve my gameplay, but learning from others mistakes will help me nonetheless. This stuff is sticky worthy. Thanks alot Critical Limit, ever since you joined here, I felt the importance of getting better at the game has improved drastically at this site. Hope you keep enlightening us with your insights. :)

awww thanks man.

If you want me to show you ways you can upload Here are some ways.
Dazzle
^Best way to use that is IMO is to use a VCR. Tape or DVD. Hook the ps3/xbox to the VCR. Then VCR to T.V. (Obviously). for a lag free experience on your controls. Then proceed to play normally while hitting record. Later hook up your VCR to Dazzle to put it on a computer. then upload to youtube.

If you have a really good computer you could just hook your PS3 straight to your computer from dazzle. And play while recording off your computer.

Or you could play off a t.v. lag free and record off your computer if you use some form of a splitter.

This is an awesome thread, but I doubt it's going to be put to much use unfortunately. Most people don't want to make the effort to record their playing. I do this stuff already though so I'll put up some videos when I get the time, keen for some valuable feedback.

This is an awesome thread, but I doubt it's going to be put to much use unfortunately. Most people don't want to make the effort to record their playing. I do this stuff already though so I'll put up some videos when I get the time, keen for some valuable feedback.

Yeah it really depends on the efforts of the people on this board.

So when can we expect videos to critique?

Whenever people on this board who are capable of recording are willing to put down the effort. Being able to record and upload your own games may be just a little expensive if you haven't already got the equipment. But it helps you WAY down the road. Studying yourself and the game you lose in is a major key in success.

If you thought I was going to grab random videos and critique you are mistaken. I want fresh videos from people "ASKING" for it on this forum.

I suggest book marking this as even if you do not ever plan on recording. you could learn something from someone else who uses your same character.

I was gonna upload my own as an example. But I won like 20 games in a row >.> apparently no one good plays this early in the morning.

Sounds Cool. Cant wait to get my EasyCap and learn from my mistakes :)

So we can expect some vids from you then? :D Groovy.

@Critical-Limit

Same here with finding the right opponent, but I believe there is always something to learn and critique from every match, regardless if you lose or not.

There are so many matches I won that I am insecure of, because I'm not sure if I actually deserved the win, that lag may have caused my opponent to make the worst mistakes. There is always that match was so close because my opponent turned the situation around, sometimes, I don't even know how I pulled off the win.

I'm not sure if this thread is for everyone, ofcourse everyone loses, but how often against opponents that can really destroy you. Believe me, I feel that I have to go on a quest online, I don't play that often so my win ratio isn't too high, I get declined by most of everyone above average, they take me for a scrub who isn't on their level.

@Critical-Limit

Same here with finding the right opponent, but I believe there is always something to learn and critique from every match, regardless if you lose or not.

There are so many matches I won that I am insecure of, because I'm not sure if I actually deserved the win, that lag may have caused my opponent to make the worst mistakes. There is always that match was so close because my opponent turned the situation around, sometimes, I don't even know how I pulled off the win.

I'm not sure if this thread is for everyone, ofcourse everyone loses, but how often against opponents that can really destroy you. Believe me, I feel that I have to go on a quest online, I don't play that often so my win ratio isn't too high, I get declined by most of everyone above average, they take me for a scrub who isn't on their level.

I somewhat agree, but the only reason I'm laying down that guide line is from previous experience

If we don't set that guideline. People will post E-peen vids of them destroying some newb asking for help. I really hate this as it's hard to critique something that appears to be working. People who do this tend to diguise themselves as trying to get "praise" for their play rather than actually 100% looking for REAL critique. you'd be surprised how many people will post videos to make themselves look good vs letting the community think they are a scrub.

I'm pretty above average if I had to say so. And it's weird when I practically flawless someone twice and they tell me I'm good. And I go ahead to tell them I'm really not and that I got friends on my Friends list that can do to me what I did to you.

You're likely to run into SOMEONE who beats you doens't need to be a 3,000 win 200 loss player. Surely someone on the site wouldn't mind fighting you.

I somewhat agree, but the only reason I'm laying down that guide line is from previous experience

If we don't set that guideline. People will post E-peen vids of them destroying some newb asking for help. I really hate this as it's hard to critique something that appears to be working. People who do this tend to diguise themselves as trying to get "praise" for their play rather than actually 100% looking for REAL critique. you'd be surprised how many people will post videos to make themselves look good vs letting the community think they are a scrub.

I'm pretty above average if I had to say so. And it's weird when I practically flawless someone twice and they tell me I'm good. And I go ahead to tell them I'm really not and that I got friends on my Friends list that can do to me what I did to you.

You're likely to run into SOMEONE who beats you doens't need to be a 3,000 win 200 loss player. Surely someone on the site wouldn't mind fighting you.

Wisely spoken

You're absolutely right, I'm glad that you explained your own personal experience, it'd be horrible to decieve players to thinking you are a bad/good player when you're actually not, this critique thing would become a mess if we even risked it. And I can relate as another above average player, as I pretty much said the same thing to a lot of players I had an advantage against.

Ill upload a video from WAYYYYYYYYY back when me and reptile009 used to spar(When I mained Sindel) as I have been trying to get back into her lately. Of course I am much better with her now, but still want to give you guys something to critique(Plus I was supposed to upload the vid months ago lmao) Will edit the post when its done

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5qkdQMIflHk

Edit: I barely won this and made a TON of mistakes, just to be clearXD

Last edited:
Wish I could rec and upload, cuz the games I lose are usually comedy style screw ups... example: while leading the match in round 3 with me at around 80 health and my opponent around 30 trying to JP into a new found combo 3x in a row and getting uppercutted 3x in a row and eventually lose the round. ow another fine one... DON'T IGNORE THE CONTROLLER BATTERY WARNING HAHAHA... sigh the dude had like 0,5% health left looool

I'll give my 2 cents when I'm off work. And no nuth1nmuch, as long as people follow my guidelines there is no risk. Different levels if skill need different levels of advice. A pro still needs advice but what he needs is not the Same kind of advice say what I need. Ect ect. I need to learn alot of what beats what and safe options. A newb prolly just needs simple learning like blocking lol.

Ill upload a video from WAYYYYYYYYY back when me and reptile009 used to spar(When I mained Sindel) as I have been trying to get back into her lately. Of course I am much better with her now, but still want to give you guys something to critique(Plus I was supposed to upload the vid months ago lmao) Will edit the post when its done

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5qkdQMIflHk

Edit: I barely won this and made a TON of mistakes, just to be clearXD

Sorry i'm not TOO familiar with sindel she's rare to fight against.

@:14 : I like your opening it seems overall safe. I'm interested to know what usually beats that?

@:15: You need to pay attention to Mileena's meter with your peripherals. You shouldn't have taken that second hit from her drop down kick.

@:16: Not sure if low blocking is necessary from that distance. I know mileena has that trickly trip but I wanna say she was far enough away you could high block w/o worries.

@:19: I'm guessing you had a longer punish but you messed up? combo consistency.(IF you're pretty sure it's lag then nevermind.)

@:22: Nice job rolling away from mileena I believe that is a highly safe option most of the time. As her mix ups are ridiculous. Especially since i'm not sure if you have any good wake up options

Not sure if the X-ray was wise. But it helped you win round one so whatever lol. This time it was a success. But I would've tried to combo into it(Can you with sindel?) than to just throw it out... then need a full combo to finish her off thus risking a loss with the loss of a full meter.

@1:15: It's dangerous to wake up pressure a mileena until you've conditioned her to stop. You should approach with a dash block once or twice with a full combo punish so she's more reluctant next time. condition her to be afraid of using it on wake up... then you can pressure her wake up normally.

@1:18: I think a crossover jump when you saw her FIRST part of her 2-hit low combo whiff was probably the best choice. why?
1.) you get out of the corner that's slowly but surely approaching.
2.) most damage you could've took was maybe what a Down+4 anti crossup if she called it and stopped her 2 hit combo early?(Unlikely btw)
3.) you give yourself an opportunity to apply pressure if she finished her 2-hit low combo.

I commend you though for blocking high... most mileenas would've thrown in the overhead at some point. but reptile used the low hit 3 times.... he probably woulda nailed me with it the 3rd time as well. As I'd rather eat those most of the time... than to eat a 30% coming off that overhead.

@1:29: failed to punish the blocked drop kick. need to work on that timing. and also question...
I'm sure sindel has more hardcore combos than those 15% ones in this vid right?

@2:41 general rule after like 1-2 projectiles at mileena... they will usually use her semi safe tele kick pretty quickly after. So try to bait it.

@2:43 once again... peripherals on the meter bar. You shouldn't be dropping your guard on her drop kick if you are subconciously taking note of her meter use.

Will respond to your post after I eat but thanks for the feedback. Ill try to record one tonight and post it up, see if anyone else wants to weigh in.

Sorry i'm not TOO familiar with sindel she's rare to fight against.

@:14 : I like your opening it seems overall safe. I'm interested to know what usually beats that?

Sais wouldve hit me most likely

@:15: You need to pay attention to Mileena's meter with your peripherals. You shouldn't have taken that second hit from her drop down kick.

I still struggle with that, working on it

@:16: Not sure if low blocking is necessary from that distance. I know mileena has that trickly trip but I wanna say she was far enough away you could high block w/o worries.

Youre never supposed to low block against Mileena as Sindel, probably wouldn't make that mistake today

@:19: I'm guessing you had a longer punish but you messed up? combo consistency.(IF you're pretty sure it's lag then nevermind.)

Either lag or i hadnt practiced it a lot, but i think it was mistiming

@:22: Nice job rolling away from mileena I believe that is a highly safe option most of the time. As her mix ups are ridiculous. Especially since i'm not sure if you have any good wake up options

Levitate wouldve been appropriate, it was better to roll back for the step up.

Not sure if the X-ray was wise. But it helped you win round one so whatever lol. This time it was a success. But I would've tried to combo into it(Can you with sindel?) than to just throw it out... then need a full combo to finish her off thus risking a loss with the loss of a full meter.

I simply didnt know any X-ray combos back then, use them a lot now.

@1:15: It's dangerous to wake up pressure a mileena until you've conditioned her to stop. You should approach with a dash block once or twice with a full combo punish so she's more reluctant next time. condition her to be afraid of using it on wake up... then you can pressure her wake up normally.

Wouldnt have thought of this, Thanks :D

@1:18: I think a crossover jump when you saw her FIRST part of her 2-hit low combo whiff was probably the best choice. why?
1.) you get out of the corner that's slowly but surely approaching.
2.) most damage you could've took was maybe what a Down+4 anti crossup if she called it and stopped her 2 hit combo early?(Unlikely btw)
3.) you give yourself an opportunity to apply pressure if she finished her 2-hit low combo.

I commend you though for blocking high... most mileenas would've thrown in the overhead at some point. but reptile used the low hit 3 times.... he probably woulda nailed me with it the 3rd time as well. As I'd rather eat those most of the time... than to eat a 30% coming off that overhead.

@1:29: failed to punish the blocked drop kick. need to work on that timing. and also question...
I'm sure sindel has more hardcore combos than those 15% ones in this vid right?

Yeah but I generally dont do them due to input lag. Unless its an X-ray the most I ever do is 18-20%. Sindel is more of a bait and punish char but her punishes arent always full blown combos.

@2:41 general rule after like 1-2 projectiles at mileena... they will usually use her semi safe tele kick pretty quickly after. So try to bait it.

@2:43 once again... peripherals on the meter bar. You shouldn't be dropping your guard on her drop kick if you are subconciously taking note of her meter use.

Responses in red

Last edited: