The Official Video Critique Thread

I wish I could post here my defeats. I have no idea how to record it (I don't own a camera). My worst match-up is probably Reptile and Raiden.

About the last Zoid video. I believe that even Baraka can outzone Rain. Rain is in my opinion the worst zoner in the game, he profoundly lacks it even. If he Rain teleports behind you, you can spin (Baraka's spin frames are so DAMN FAST!) and I believe your move has priority. The thing is Baraka's projectile is still slow and Rain's teleport (while not as fast as Raiden's or Freddy's), can still be fast enough to avoid your Baraka. I actually always felt Baraka is, among the lowest tiers, the one that deals better with pressure due to his charge and chop-chop or even spin. Sorry if I am saying shit, but great games ;)

I have something to record my fights now. TBH, I may be little bit scared to post them up.

When I get back home, I'll record and post up on here:)

Barakas spin is like, 7 frames. Arguably the fastest special in the game.

Interesting you find Raiden hard, VonCroy. Are you talking about a tough match up for NW? I find Raiden is a piece of cake with NW. Reptile on the other hand...ugh, he's a handful for just about the whole roster.

Interesting you find Raiden hard, VonCroy. Are you talking about a tough match up for NW? I find Raiden is a piece of cake with NW. Reptile on the other hand...ugh, he's a handful for just about the whole roster.
Raiden has always been one of the very few Nightwolf's toughest match-ups ((the other ones being Kung Lao, Kabal and Reptile IMO) for several reasons:
- Nightwolf's F3 can't do a shit to Raiden. As far as I can remember, there's absolutely no way F3 has priority over any of Raiden's specials.
- Shoulder is pretty useless and you cannot risk to waste a bar to do an enhanced shoulder since Raiden's teleport is fast enough to avoid it.
- Forget to use arrows or lightning: those are Nightwolf's unsafest specials and Raiden is a very agile character, it'll be impossible to catch a good Raiden with those and he can either superman you or teleport behind you and they take simply too much recovery time for Nightwolf to respond.
- The way to go to defeat good Raidens IMO is relying in Nightwolf's safest and fastest strings that start with 1: 1, 1 - 1, 2, 2 and so. It takes one of those strings to punish Raiden hard.

TestYourMight forum puts the Nightwolf vs Raiden match-up into a 4-6.

I haven't however fought Raidens post-patch, neither have I seen the information of his frame changes, so I may be wrong now. It's very hard to beat a good Raiden with Nightwolf, but not impossible.

First off Ray I'm not much of a mileena player, I know from messing arounda little, pro matches, and personal fighting experience. So sorry if some of the things I mention are slightly incorrect or impossible if I throw out an idea. As some of my thought process might be theory based so If I ask you to thinka bout an option and you know it doesn't work. Point it out to me so I know for future reference. And I can perhaps come up with another idea.

Video#1:

[@:14] Dunno why it whiffed but it costed you some damage. It's either your combo was too long and the gravity was too strong for you to catch them, or your 1,1,2 hit too late. But yeah the neck leap is a move you cannot whiff against people with really quick wakeups. You had full momentum at that point, the kitana had a chance to reverse it cuz of that. Such a small mistake can lead to a huge disadvantage. I'm sure you know this, but I'm just pointing out if you're going to go for laggy moves that end, be careful. I've dropped combos and whiffed a laggy ender myself, which resulted in a full combo back at me. It happens to everyone no sweat.

[@:20] She was at the peak of her jump when you whiffed Down3, and moving away. why did you D4 after? but then again I didn't expect the ass attack right then either. which is really as far as I can see the only real thing kitana could have done against you besides jumping back in with a kick into fan. I'm gonna chalk that up to the guy using random ass attack at you. It's hard to predict a move that is usually a pretty stupid idea to use in a specific situation. I shouldn't say stupid I should say risky.

[@:37] jumping is risky, but It's a high risk high reward. When you have the lead Ray I would avoid doing high risk/high reward options. a jump back, and IMMEDIATE kick at that distance would have been safe. You got greedy for combo damage I think. Just be careful being airborne when you're in the lead. Kitana is the one panic'ing because she's behind. Don't let kitana nail a chance to come back by doing risky things. I would say a down jab is usually a good choice but kitana was going for a crossover jump. realized you were jumping too the punched early. so a Jab probably would've gave kitana a full punish. So a jump away was smart, you just chose the optimal damage routine instead of the safe option. besides if you landed the retreat kick which you should've because it has more range. I don't know MUCH mileena but i'm sure you can combo a tele-kick off it probably, or at the very least use the tele-kick after you kick kitana away, to get back ON her for pressure.

I want to say only make 3 mistakes round 1 is pretty damn good. But I'm working with what I got. I'd say you are playing Mileena VERY well at this point. Very smart in most of your decisions. and your punishments are really on que.

[1:05] Man did you see how far away kitana was? You could have on reaction to seeing that from the distance she started, just walk backwards the punish her whiff. be mindful of kitana's distance. She has some nice range on that cutter, but it's not fast enough to reach slightly farther than midscreen. A backdash/walk back would have gave you a free punish. Even if it's something as simple as a trip, You could probably roll her there in her recovery frames.(Not 100% sure)

[1:07] Ok, this is the second time this kitana jumps after you block her cutters. Take note of that pattern. This is kitana's second time punishing you for jumping after a blocked cutter. an immediate jump back instant kick is pretty safe(Unless kitana jumps backwards herself or throws a projectile(Unsafe because she has to commit to doing it IN YOUR FACE if you chose not to jump back.) If kitana jumps backwards, could you use teleport mid-air during your whiff kick to avoid a retreat air fan? (Not sure if mileena HAS to connect the kick on a player's block or hitbox to initiate instant teleort.

[1:11] this is theory. Is D4 the best punish you can do to kitana? what about reversing the input of roll on reaction and right when she passes by you start your roll and catch her as she lands? Wouldn't that be more beneficial? atleast from the distance kitana went for that. if she did that in your face, I'm not sure if roll would reach her in time let alone go far enough. But in that particular situation couldn't you roll? Asking.

[1:36] ok I wanna say you caught on to kitana's patterns of jumping after cutter on your block and went for that as a punish? Good stuff reading. But kitana apparently decided to mix it up now and went for jab. but once again. A jump back kick I think would've left you safe. I think she nailed you with that counter attack right after because since sai's stop your momentum and jab ends faster than your sais. You had to eat a punishment. I'd use the life lead excuse again but when you are both so low on health a single combo can kill you. That SAFE rule is a little more unreliable.

[1:48] Do you think it would've been wiser to start spamming low aimed instant air sai's right then? If kitana goes for a projectile you win. If she makes one small error in her dash crouch you win. I think you could've had her if you spammed sais (build more meter in the process) kitana has no teleport. If she tried to square wave out you'd obviously punish it with enough time to spare. Kitana's best bet at that point would be to dash in and duck and try to approach you w/o taking a sai hit. Then when you go for your EX kicks, She's out of the corner and you won't hit her at some weird angle because of stupid corner physics. Just my 2 cents. Obviously if it was someone with a teleport, sai spam is a dumb idea.

[2:11] Once again, kitana goes for a cross up jump after her blocked attack. Pattern.

[2:15] **** YES! Dude you finally called her out on that BS. Good stuff and full punishment as well

[2:31] To be fair, considering the kitana is a somewhat smart player. I ALSO would've assumed kitana would wise up after a full punish. but apparently not. I've learned when dealing with the unknown. Keep on punishing until THEY change it up. So kitana ONCE again went for a jump after cutter.

The losing hit. Jump back INSTANT kick. and use teleport to escape fans? once again not sure if you can teleport instantly out of kicks. But if your retreat instant kick whiffs and kitana is in the air. Why not tele kick.

I'll critique the others anothe time this took alot of my energy for one vid lol. If I said anything incorrect. Please let me know. I told you before mileena is my weakness so I'm not 100% sure about ALL of her stuff. So I gave general advice, and ideas.

Last edited:
When you're done with Ray, I might have a couple of vids of me I wouldn't mind you having a butchers at, Critical.

When you're done with Ray, I might have a couple of vids of me I wouldn't mind you having a butchers at, Critical.

I'll do my best bro. That's all I can offer.
I'm gonna finish Ray's tomorrow when I'm off work. You can post yours whenever, I'll do it RIGHT after rays.

First off Ray I'm not much of a mileena player, I know from messing arounda little, pro matches, and personal fighting experience. So sorry if some of the things I mention are slightly incorrect or impossible if I throw out an idea. As some of my thought process might be theory based so If I ask you to thinka bout an option and you know it doesn't work. Point it out to me so I know for future reference. And I can perhaps come up with another idea.

Video#1:

[@:14] Dunno why it whiffed but it costed you some damage. It's either your combo was too long and the gravity was too strong for you to catch them, or your 1,1,2 hit too late. But yeah the neck leap is a move you cannot whiff against people with really quick wakeups. You had full momentum at that point, the kitana had a chance to reverse it cuz of that. Such a small mistake can lead to a huge disadvantage. I'm sure you know this, but I'm just pointing out if you're going to go for laggy moves that end, be careful. I've dropped combos and whiffed a laggy ender myself, which resulted in a full combo back at me. It happens to everyone no sweat.

[@:20] She was at the peak of her jump when you whiffed Down3, and moving away. why did you D4 after? but then again I didn't expect the ass attack right then either. which is really as far as I can see the only real thing kitana could have done against you besides jumping back in with a kick into fan. I'm gonna chalk that up to the guy using random ass attack at you. It's hard to predict a move that is usually a pretty stupid idea to use in a specific situation. I shouldn't say stupid I should say risky.

[@:37] jumping is risky, but It's a high risk high reward. When you have the lead Ray I would avoid doing high risk/high reward options. a jump back, and IMMEDIATE kick at that distance would have been safe. You got greedy for combo damage I think. Just be careful being airborne when you're in the lead. Kitana is the one panic'ing because she's behind. Don't let kitana nail a chance to come back by doing risky things. I would say a down jab is usually a good choice but kitana was going for a crossover jump. realized you were jumping too the punched early. so a Jab probably would've gave kitana a full punish. So a jump away was smart, you just chose the optimal damage routine instead of the safe option. besides if you landed the retreat kick which you should've because it has more range. I don't know MUCH mileena but i'm sure you can combo a tele-kick off it probably, or at the very least use the tele-kick after you kick kitana away, to get back ON her for pressure.

I want to say only make 3 mistakes round 1 is pretty damn good. But I'm working with what I got. I'd say you are playing Mileena VERY well at this point. Very smart in most of your decisions. and your punishments are really on que.

[1:05] Man did you see how far away kitana was? You could have on reaction to seeing that from the distance she started, just walk backwards the punish her whiff. be mindful of kitana's distance. She has some nice range on that cutter, but it's not fast enough to reach slightly farther than midscreen. A backdash/walk back would have gave you a free punish. Even if it's something as simple as a trip, You could probably roll her there in her recovery frames.(Not 100% sure)

[1:07] Ok, this is the second time this kitana jumps after you block her cutters. Take note of that pattern. This is kitana's second time punishing you for jumping after a blocked cutter. an immediate jump back instant kick is pretty safe(Unless kitana jumps backwards herself or throws a projectile(Unsafe because she has to commit to doing it IN YOUR FACE if you chose not to jump back.) If kitana jumps backwards, could you use teleport mid-air during your whiff kick to avoid a retreat air fan? (Not sure if mileena HAS to connect the kick on a player's block or hitbox to initiate instant teleort.

[1:11] this is theory. Is D4 the best punish you can do to kitana? what about reversing the input of roll on reaction and right when she passes by you start your roll and catch her as she lands? Wouldn't that be more beneficial? atleast from the distance kitana went for that. if she did that in your face, I'm not sure if roll would reach her in time let alone go far enough. But in that particular situation couldn't you roll? Asking.

[1:36] ok I wanna say you caught on to kitana's patterns of jumping after cutter on your block and went for that as a punish? Good stuff reading. But kitana apparently decided to mix it up now and went for jab. but once again. A jump back kick I think would've left you safe. I think she nailed you with that counter attack right after because since sai's stop your momentum and jab ends faster than your sais. You had to eat a punishment. I'd use the life lead excuse again but when you are both so low on health a single combo can kill you. That SAFE rule is a little more unreliable.

[1:48] Do you think it would've been wiser to start spamming low aimed instant air sai's right then? If kitana goes for a projectile you win. If she makes one small error in her dash crouch you win. I think you could've had her if you spammed sais (build more meter in the process) kitana has no teleport. If she tried to square wave out you'd obviously punish it with enough time to spare. Kitana's best bet at that point would be to dash in and duck and try to approach you w/o taking a sai hit. Then when you go for your EX kicks, She's out of the corner and you won't hit her at some weird angle because of stupid corner physics. Just my 2 cents. Obviously if it was someone with a teleport, sai spam is a dumb idea.

[2:11] Once again, kitana goes for a cross up jump after her blocked attack. Pattern.

[2:15] **** YES! Dude you finally called her out on that BS. Good stuff and full punishment as well

[2:31] To be fair, considering the kitana is a somewhat smart player. I ALSO would've assumed kitana would wise up after a full punish. but apparently not. I've learned when dealing with the unknown. Keep on punishing until THEY change it up. So kitana ONCE again went for a jump after cutter.

The losing hit. Jump back INSTANT kick. and use teleport to escape fans? once again not sure if you can teleport instantly out of kicks. But if your retreat instant kick whiffs and kitana is in the air. Why not tele kick.

I'll critique the others anothe time this took alot of my energy for one vid lol. If I said anything incorrect. Please let me know. I told you before mileena is my weakness so I'm not 100% sure about ALL of her stuff. So I gave general advice, and ideas

thanks for the critique man. mileena isnt my true main but i do use her alot and im one of the better one's you'll find online. im starting to use her alot more tho since people are scared of my kitana and johnny lol. so mi trying to make mileena part of my scary team. i'll def take your insight and learn from it. thanks again man.

I played a best of 3 against GUTZnG0Re, and the matches went 2-1 to me. First game was SIndel vs SZ (lost), then Baraka vs SZ (won) and the last game was Baraka vs Scorpion (won).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_zQAFZyLsg&feature=player_embedded (this game I lost)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V0hjzhEUFfU&feature=related (this game I won, though i did a lot of stupid things in the first round)

I usually play a lot more aggresively, and when the 3 d match becomes available, i'll put it up and that may show. But fear of his ice clones...i don't know if it made me cautious, which was a good thing, or restricted me too much to playing to full potential. It was quite interesting to watch because i've never watched a replay of myself, playing this game before.

thanks for the critique man. mileena isnt my true main but i do use her alot and im one of the better one's you'll find online. im starting to use her alot more tho since people are scared of my kitana and johnny lol. so mi trying to make mileena part of my scary team. i'll def take your insight and learn from it. thanks again man.

Yes! The mileena army is growing :)

I played a best of 3 against GUTZnG0Re, and the matches went 2-1 to me. First game was SIndel vs SZ (lost), then Baraka vs SZ (won) and the last game was Baraka vs Scorpion (won).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_zQAFZyLsg&feature=player_embedded (this game I lost)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V0hjzhEUFfU&feature=related (this game I won, though i did a lot of stupid things in the first round)

I usually play a lot more aggresively, and when the 3 d match becomes available, i'll put it up and that may show. But fear of his ice clones...i don't know if it made me cautious, which was a good thing, or restricted me too much to playing to full potential. It was quite interesting to watch because i've never watched a replay of myself, playing this game before.

ok. ill talk about the 1st vid, the one with your sindel. you could've EASILY won this match if you had paid more attention, not saying that you weren't. first thing, sindel has no business being up close, especially against subby. her normals are to slow to rushdown with. you should've just zoned. she has a low fireball, regular fireball, and a air fireball. they come out fast and recover fast. she wins a projectile war against sub. since your zoning him, he has no option but to either jump or ex slide. if he jumps, either anti air scream him or anti air hair whip him. bait him into using ex slide so you can block and punish hard. another thing I noticed was you kept getting hit by his wakeup slide. I noticed his wakeup pattern 30 secs into the video. you could've easily baited it out and punish hard. I also noticed you tried to go toe-to-toe against him. that's a no no. but if that's your playstyle, may I suggest using float cancels during your block strings? and I think she can dash cancel her ex scream right? these allow you to continue pressure plus set up free throws and set up interesting mixups if you use it with the 2 1 string. It looks like u know sindel, maybe you were just nervous?

Im going to record some ranked matches. I dont care if i win or lose, Any kind of advice would be appreciated :)

ok. ill talk about the 1st vid, the one with your sindel. you could've EASILY won this match if you had paid more attention, not saying that you weren't. first thing, sindel has no business being up close, especially against subby. her normals are to slow to rushdown with. you should've just zoned. she has a low fireball, regular fireball, and a air fireball. they come out fast and recover fast. she wins a projectile war against sub. since your zoning him, he has no option but to either jump or ex slide. if he jumps, either anti air scream him or anti air hair whip him. bait him into using ex slide so you can block and punish hard. another thing I noticed was you kept getting hit by his wakeup slide. I noticed his wakeup pattern 30 secs into the video. you could've easily baited it out and punish hard. I also noticed you tried to go toe-to-toe against him. that's a no no. but if that's your playstyle, may I suggest using float cancels during your block strings? and I think she can dash cancel her ex scream right? these allow you to continue pressure plus set up free throws and set up interesting mixups if you use it with the 2 1 string. It looks like u know sindel, maybe you were just nervous?

Thanks Ray and yeah, watching it myself I don't know how I lost. I'm not sure what it is, its like I don't try with Sindel anymore. That or the better players I face, the less viable she feels? And yeah, my problem is I'm so set on rushing down, I easily forget wakeups. She used to be one of my best but I'm beginning to not enjoy using her now.

Flagg I just have to say one thing.... WHY THE HELL DO YOU START OFF WITH A JUMP IN AGAINT SUBZERO?

that's the WORST thing you can do to yourself. The only counter to a ice clone at the start of a match is open with a EX fast approaching special that has armor, or throwing a projectile out immediately.

I'll do a thorough critique tomorrow if i'm off at a decent time.