Poking somehow not allowed in MK??

RubMyTaco

So I've been using Sub-Zero as my main for quite some time now and I'm quite confident with him, but I've noticed that he has very few mixup combos and low attacks. I'm not the type of player that likes to hang back and throw ice balls all day. I want to get up close and beat the crap out of my opponent.

A great way to get in someones head and on that persons nerves is by dashing forward and using down + 4, repeat. I understand that it is quite annoying, but it's not like it does tons of damage. For some reason I've been getting all kinds of shit from people for doing what I just described, poking. Apparently poking is a scrub tactic and is definitely not allowed if you're a skilled player.

I always thought you should use all the tools at your disposal to win a match with the character of choice. Mine just doesn't have the great mixup capabilities like maybe Mileena, Kung Lao and Liu Kang do, so I compensate. I use all sorts of different combos, traps, ice clones, you name it and when I'm in a pinch, sure I might want to chip that last bit of health away with some pokes.

Am I a total scrub that doesn't understand the MK etiquette or are all these people complaining just crybabies? Am I the only one that does this and gets such flak for it?

Anything that annoys your opponent is not allowed in MK, didn't you know?

Stop pressing buttons next time, it's scrubby.

The online community for this game is absolute garbage. Don't take any of their criticism seriously.

those calling poking in ANY fighting game a scrub tactic are scrubs themselves, its a good tactic for Street Fighter, Tekken, and MK. Probably some others as well but I don't waste my time with B-list fighters :O

I like to use down+1 (or 2, depends on the character) for poking when close, its faster than down+4 and stops alot of things

Yeah dude, do whatever you want to.
Nothing is "not allowed" in MK.
I never use any "pokes"
But Hell, they are moves.
If they weren't meant to be used, then they wouldn't be in the game.

I love poking! corner-poking is so damn funny.

I got a lot of hate cause of poking too, "if you cant play why play the game?" and such shit xD
use it as often as you like, if it helps to win the match -> for that reason you play the game.

Just ignore them or send em some shit back.

Just keep up the poking like all the great pokerstars o_O xD

The online community for this game is absolute garbage. Don't take any of their criticism seriously.

This pretty much sums it up. Between playing Tekken 6, Mortal Kombat and Street fighter online; I've found Mortal Kombat have the worst community.

Don't get me worng... There are allot of good players out there that understand the importants of techniques like poking, but there are also allot of other players that will just call you a scrub and flame you up, no matter what you do.

This pretty much sums it up. Between playing Tekken 6, Mortal Kombat and Street fighter online; I've found Mortal Kombat have the worst community.

Don't get me worng... There are allot of good players out there that understand the importants of techniques like poking, but there are also allot of other players that will just call you a scrub and flame you up, no matter what you do.

What's funny too is that I've tended to notice the people who get pissy at you for beating them one way are also the ones who will turn around and end up trying to projectile spam the whole fight. :lol:

poking is fine as long as your not overdoing it..

and sub has two combo's that end in sweeps..
1,3,b+4
b+1,2,b+4

plus you can end any combo with a slide, which is obviously low..
then he has some nice mediums to go along with them..
f+4'
2,2,2'
b+1,2'
b+1,2,1'

so you can mix meds and lows with slide's for some pretty decent mixups..

I don't complain about people that :

- spamming
- use Kung Lao (lol)
- poke as hell
- use Cyrax and his cheap resets and bar use
- etc etc etc blablabla XD :D

So, this make me having the right to use whatever I want in a match in order to win.

This way, everything is allowed online, if you cannot figure out how to overcome that, time to gtfo from MK online, and play the game only offline ....

Basically anything that isn't spoiling glitches like people did for Johnny Cages X-Ray is fair game. People don't know how to just take a loss.

Poking is not scrubby. It's actually something you can do as sub zero to get them to block low then f+4, freeze them, since f+4 is an overhead.

The people you plated are just mad you beat them and are trying to justify why they lost.

I don't know why some fighting game players complain about a tactic another uses all the time that works. In football, if I run a play that you can't stop and keep running it cuz you cannot stop it, it's not considered cheap. But you do the same thing in fighting games and people scream noob, scrub, cheap. I don't get it.

poking is fine as long as your not overdoing it..

and sub has two combo's that end in sweeps..
1,3,b+4
b+1,2,b+4

plus you can end any combo with a slide, which is obviously low..
then he has some nice mediums to go along with them..
f+4'
2,2,2'
b+1,2'
b+1,2,1'

so you can mix meds and lows with slide's for some pretty decent mixups..

True, but the slide is very unsafe and the combos you listed are hard to follow up when hit confirming is off (which is mostly the case online).