Most overated character and why? Most unerrated character and why?

Kung Lao isn't overrated tier wise when everyone puts him in either A+ tier or S tier and says he's the best character in the game. If everyone is constantly proving that Lao is the best character in the game, how does that make him overrated?

either this is a oxymoron or is he/her contradicting him/her self when everyone does or uses something, it tend's to become a trend and after a while it becomes overrated.

and the same three move's followed up by the hat's or spin over and over is what makes him overrated for many people.

Mileena,jade,kitana,sindel,skarlet, and sonya, because their HOT with a capitol H. The unerrated character is Freddy '****ed up' kreugar because of him being in the game.

Overrated: Scorpion. Every fcking one plays with Scorpion. Scorpion is not that good. He is pretty good - but not that good.
Underrated: Kabal & Baraka. Kabal is an fast fighter but don`t use it that good. Although - Kabal is good. He don`t deserve to be underrated. Just like Baraka. Baraka is badass. Two fcking blades out of his arm + an awesome alternative costume - fatalities - awesome X-ray. Baraka could do easily combo`s of 40%

Scorpion is one of the most deadly characters in this game.
Ever been caught by his vortex?

And Kabal underrated?
Not by a long shot.
Go to any high level tournament and you'll see plenty of them.

Overrated: Scorpion
Underrated: Kano. Please just see past the upballs and you'll see that he has awesome combos. Jax also

Overrated: Sub Zero
Underrated: Rain/Sektor

Kung lao is not the "Best" character in the game lol. I'd go as far as to say I don't think any character is "THE BEST" The top 2 tiers are highly viable, and so is everyone else in tournament. While some of the lower tiers may not be national level winnable (By themselves) they are still tournament viable for many matchups including high tier match ups.

OVERATED - Rain
when everyone wants to like the obscure forgotten ninja that wasnt in the starting roster, then he ultimatly looses what made the few people drawn to him in the first place back in the old games. Ironic isnt it.

UNDERATED - Nightwolf
dont even need to say anything about this one

What exactly did Rain lose?

Also OP Johnny is supposed to be like that he is the joke character that you don't take seriously and he doesn't rely on his looks.

EDIT: If anyone is underrated as character let it be Kai for not getting his time of day and Shujinko for getting put over for Taven at the last minute.

Overrated: I can only think Raiden but I am bias against him.

Last edited:
Overrated: Scorpion, Sub-Zero.

Underrated: Skarlet, Kenshi, Rain.

Last edited:
Some from the original 2 games, which seem universally liked, are overated, and some from the later games are underated. Most probably because most people don't want change.

Liu Kang, Johnny Cage, Sonya and Jax are all overated. In gameplay (maybe with the exception of Jax in some games) and story. Especially story, and I would add appearence. Sure the ninjas are all look the same, up until MKT, either way they still look cool.

Baraka, Noob Saibot, Cyrax, Nightwolf, Sheeva, Kabal, Fujin, Tanya, Kenshi, are all underated.

Most overrated? Easy, Scorpion.
Dont know what really needs to be said, he is the logo of the freaking company.
Speaking just about mk9 Kung Lao. When I used to play online all the time, every other person was a kung lao player. It was ridiculous.

Most underrated? Ermac, Sektor and Nightwolf
I love Ermac so goddamn much. Such a cool character with a really cool artistic design, yet many just look at him as "red scorpion" or the "red ninja" which I think he deserves more than that.
Sektor has been one of my favs since MK3 and he is still a ton of fun to play. The cyber ninjas in general dont get the attention they should and end up getting buried under the normal ninjas.
Im not the biggest Nightwolf fan but I think he deserves way more love than he gets. I think my entire time playing MK9 online, I have maybe encountered, 4 nightwolf players?

Most overrated? Easy, Scorpion.
Dont know what really needs to be said, he is the logo of the freaking company.
Speaking just about mk9 Kung Lao. When I used to play online all the time, every other person was a kung lao player. It was ridiculous.

Most underrated? Ermac, Sektor and Nightwolf
I love Ermac so goddamn much. Such a cool character with a really cool artistic design, yet many just look at him as "red scorpion" or the "red ninja" which I think he deserves more than that.
Sektor has been one of my favs since MK3 and he is still a ton of fun to play. The cyber ninjas in general dont get the attention they should and end up getting buried under the normal ninjas.
Im not the biggest Nightwolf fan but I think he deserves way more love than he gets. I think my entire time playing MK9 online, I have maybe encountered, 4 nightwolf players?

I love using Nightwolf in MK9.
He's one of my mains along with Rain and Sub-Zero.

My most used characters by ranking of how good I am with them, is:
1) Nightwolf
2) Rain
3) Sub-Zero (My Subby in MK9 is weak, but I always try to improve on him)

Overrated: Noob-Saibot (I can't do shit with his playstyle. I'll do a ladder and quit after the second fight to choose another fighter. Such a shame.)
Sub-Zero (Why is his style so awful? Why!?)

Underrated: Sektor, Kano, Nightwolf

I think I play the best with these three. Its nice that 99.9% of players select Scorpion, so picking the underrated doesn't seem so stale and predictable.

By the way, I notice not too much people typically use Baraka as well. Does anyone have any tip for him? I can't form any decent combos with him?

Only judging in terms of character design and story line

Overrated...Liu Kang. I just always thought he was a pretty boring hero, he must have taken lessons on how to be an uninteresting protagonist from Ryu.

Underrated...Kano IMO, I liked him since he was the only true "bad guy" playable in MK1, and that being said I think he serves that purpose pretty well, especially in MK where most of the villains are seemingly unintelligent monsters or one dimensional "evil" cliches who are evil simply for the sake of it, I always thought Kano had a bit more personality and seemed genuinely sadistic which to me makes more of a convincing villain, I also tend to like characters in fighting games who fight with and throw knives so that's a personal preference.