So newbie guides? Yay or nay?

schmambuman

Do you think that it would be advantageous to post a couple videos as a sort of tutorial for new/rookie players? I've had a couple of friends quit because they weren't any good, and I would assume that the game could get pretty frustrating if you didn't know what mix-ups were, for example. Or how to perform simple BnB combos.

I know Gamefront has already been posting specific character guides, but that is more intermediate guides instead. I'm thinking just explaining the basics of the game, going through things like proper meter usage, how to go up against certain types of opponents (zoning, rushdown, etc.) and of course the actual basics, like juggling, comboing into special attacks, and whatnot.

I also thought about making character specific guides as well, but going into each combo and explaining the properties, like when you can combo from it, whether it is safe on block, etc.

What do you think? Think it's too late in the game's lifetime for newbie guides?

Do you think that it would be advantageous to post a couple videos as a sort of tutorial for new/rookie players? I've had a couple of friends quit because they weren't any good, and I would assume that the game could get pretty frustrating if you didn't know what mix-ups were, for example. Or how to perform simple BnB combos.

I know Gamefront has already been posting specific character guides, but that is more intermediate guides instead. I'm thinking just explaining the basics of the game, going through things like proper meter usage, how to go up against certain types of opponents (zoning, rushdown, etc.) and of course the actual basics, like juggling, comboing into special attacks, and whatnot.

I also thought about making character specific guides as well, but going into each combo and explaining the properties, like when you can combo from it, whether it is safe on block, etc.

What do you think? Think it's too late in the game's lifetime for newbie guides?

we have character guides...

as for the basics, go for it

We have quite a few helpful threads here in the characters and gameplay section, if you would like to check them out:

http://www.trmk.org/forums/forumdisplay.php/58-Characters-amp-Gameplay

Oh no, not for me. I'm talking about me personally, making something like a youtube video, for all the people out there who when you try to explain to them that they only have to press "2 1 2 dash b3 11 1+2" and they look at you like you are trying to explain a math problem. Just a basic video to get people who may have just started on the Mortal Kombat scene a decent heads up and a kick in the right direction.

I think that's a great idea a lot of new players need to learn basic techniques and when to properly use them. Its not gonna do any harm to post something like that so I say why not.

People who quit because they "suck" have to understand this game isnt something you can play and be good with everyone, you have to dedicate to a character at least enough to handle your own in majority matches. If you keep changing characters you will never learn a proper strategy.

People who quit because they "suck" have to understand this game isnt something you can play and be good with everyone, you have to dedicate to a character at least enough to handle your own in majority matches. If you keep changing characters you will never learn a proper strategy.

You have to know just how frustrating it can be playing a game that you aren't any good at at all though, right? Basically, my friends would just button mash, and then I would outzone them or just wait for an opening and combo. They would get frustrated, say I was cheating, then I would try to explain to them how to play, but at that point they didn't want any of it. And I understand that. It can be incredibly annoying playing a game you have no idea how to play.

You have to know just how frustrating it can be playing a game that you aren't any good at at all though, right? Basically, my friends would just button mash, and then I would outzone them or just wait for an opening and combo. They would get frustrated, say I was cheating, then I would try to explain to them how to play, but at that point they didn't want any of it. And I understand that. It can be incredibly annoying playing a game you have no idea how to play.

That is why there is a training mode. It's not that hard to learn a character....

I disagree with jade( sorry chick I still got luv for u). There is a practice mode and a small tutorial in challenge tower. But no training mode. But for people that have played video games and fighting games for as long as I have that's enough. But for someone that may have never picked up a fighting game before they might not understand when to do things and why to do things. And don't know terms like zoning and mix ups and dash blocking tech grabs etc. And putting together huge combos and even smaller combos might seem intimidating to them. They may not understand how to link juggles with specials and so on. Ill say this though. A million people on these boards will say WHY? I'm the type of person thatll look at anything and say WHY NOT? So if you feel that there is something you can put out to help people then go for it. And **** whatever anyone else says. A noob player might find it and it might help them develop enough to become a really great player. Your trying to do something cool and positive and even if it is just for a game that's pretty ****in cool imo. There are enough negative people that would just say **** it if they suck, they suck they won't ever get better. So don't be that person help younger and inexperienced players learn from your videos. Good luck man!

That is why there is a training mode. It's not that hard to learn a character....

(Thnx @ battlescarz)

I'm not talking about learning a single character. I'm talking about learning the entire game. This was my first time in a mortal kombat game, and while I had the patience to persevere and just power on through the game, I can understand how not everyone is able to do that. So I figured making a guide would help out all those newbies.

I think once you have a grasp of the game's basics, then learning a character isn't a huge chore. But if you have no idea how to, for example, combo, then you will have trouble. If you don't know how to do things like low block, even. The tutorial doesn't really talk about anything other than the controls, and I think that the guide I'm thinking about making should pick up on the things that the tutorial can't tell you, as well as open up newbies to being able to read guides online. (That use terms like the number system for button presses, or dash cancelling, or stuff like that.)

Anyways, I've decided to go for it

Alright, so I'm just waiting for the filming equipment to arrive.

But I would like some input on what I should cover in the first video. I'm thinking incredibly basic stuff that a complete novice wouldn't know, like:

Dial-a-combos
Combos (Chaining dial-a-combos into specials)
Different types of specials (Stuns, projectiles, dashes, anti-air)
Mix-ups (You'd be surprised how many people have no idea what these are)
Notation for reading combos (1 2 3 4 you know the drill)
Zoning

Then maybe follow up with some sequels like going through each character and talking about all of their moves, and how to use them, and some basic and advanced combos. Like specific character guides. And I was also thinking of making a How to: beat shao kahn video per character as well, because shao kahn literally is only an annoyance to me now, instead of a challenge. I've heard a lot of people can't beat him on a regular basis, and that is sad...