The Official "Wakeup Attack" Handbook by YOU!

What about Liu Kang's wake-up game?

Liu Kang's wake-up game is rather weak. His Flying Kick and Bicycle Kick are both easy to see coming and hugely punishable on block. You can throw out a Low Fireball but if they're up close it can be jumped if they see it coming or just like jump-ins and you could be in trouble. His EX Parry can be a good get-off me move and Liu Kang can build meter quite well with all his block strings and his Fireballs, so using a bar on wake-up isn't crippling.

So far the wake ups I tend to use is Kitana's cutting fan (Although I mentioned previously that it didnt seem to have much invincibility frames and someone confirmed that for me so I may change) and Sindel's cartwheel. I havent seemed to find a decent one for Skarlet yet so if someone knows a good option, let me know.

I know I'm not talking to a lot of people here (that actually main Sheeva), but Sheeva only really has one wake up that really matters. She has 6 moves that can be wake ups, but I'd say only 2 are worth even doing.

Sheeva's main wakeup move is her Grab N Punch. Specifically the Ex Grab N Punch which now has hyper armor. If you're going to do a wake up with Sheeva and have enough meter, ALWAYS go for the Ex Grab N Punch if you can. I use the GnP usually after a knock down because most people tend to jump in on Sheeva so it works as an Anti-Air in that case. Using the Ex GnP also creates great spacing to zone because the Ex version throws the opponent across the screen.

You don't see it often, but Sheeva can be pretty good a zoning so hitting the Ex GnP is a great for that too. Hitting a wake up with Sheeva usually means the opponent is jumping in on her and being aggressive so it's important to get the spacing for Fireball/Ground Pound/Stomp pressure zoning.

The other wake up I could see actually using with Sheeva is the Ex Fireball because it now has armor.

Honestly though, stick with either the (Ex) GnP or just delay the stand up. She has armor on her moves now, but it's so slow sometimes it's not worth it to even try them. Like the Ground Pound wake up. It's almost useless as is, and the Low Grab takes precise timing. The Anti-Air wake up could be useful at certain times, but if you can hit the Anti-Air grab wake up, why not go for the Ex Grab N Punch??

Last edited:
i will appologisein advance as only read the first page, Has Baraka got any decent ones? trying to improve on a new secondary character. any advice is welcomed. cheers.

For Liu Kangs wake up he has a few options, it is versatile, but not that strong.

His simplest wakeup is going to be his parry as that can start up really fast and stuns them for a second or to if it lands. This move does not parry low moves however so a sweep will still get you.

The other choice is to try and catch them in a kick but you can be punished if you call it wrong or just whiff.

If you EX it then you have some more potential:

EX Parry is just as good as normal but can be a combo starter if you can land it, a great battle turner, watch out if you use it to early cause then you are left standing there. Or if they sweep it will go through anyway, except now you wasted a bar of meter.

EX Bicycle kick, or Dragon kick both have armor and work very well. Particularly the EX Bicycle kick will armor through their move and deal some considerable damage.

Liu Kang's wake ups are fairly poor, especially if the opponent is going low. If they sweep for example your parry wont activate, kicks will just go over them, all though that is still a better situation, and is to fast to land any normal moves.

Regarding the Kitana section. You mentioned that Pretty Kick shouldn't be used as a wake-up option, it has armour and I tend to use it mostly in place of the cutting fan. No real reason other then I prefer the kick to the fan (purely cosmetic :p), but it does have armour so it's not completely redundant.

Unless I'm missing a vital bit of info? I've noticed I don't use cutting fan as much as other Kitana's do, mainly for anti-air.

Regarding the Kitana section. You mentioned that Pretty Kick shouldn't be used as a wake-up option, it has armour and I tend to use it mostly in place of the cutting fan. No real reason other then I prefer the kick to the fan (purely cosmetic :p), but it does have armour so it's not completely redundant.

Unless I'm missing a vital bit of info? I've noticed I don't use cutting fan as much as other Kitana's do, mainly for anti-air.

pretty kick does have armor, but its start up is slow. i feel like cutting fan would be a more viable reversal since it starts up fast and is invincible. but u using pretty kick as a wake-up shows u use kitana differently.too bad u have xbox, id love to fight u

Actually, wake up attacks had invincibility for 8 frames, not 7. But that was before the recent patch.

Now they have 12 frames of invincibility if they are done on the earliest of frames. This changes the game and makes everyone have a decent wake up.