The Official "Wakeup Attack" Handbook by YOU!

Thirteenthorder

Welcome All!

I'd like to use this thread to educate all users on the value and validity that is to be had in "Wakeup Attacks" and exactly what they can do for YOUR character. This thread is open to all, and will be a constant work in progress so feel free to contribute and openly discuss/make suggestions in this thread. Let's begin with a small QnA session.

---
Q: What are "Wakeup Attacks"?

A: Well wouldn't you like to know! Wakeup attacks are normal special attacks that are given very beneficial properties "on wakeup" (IE - when you or your opponent is getting up after being knocked down)

Q: Why are Wakeup Attacks so IMPORTANT?

A: Visualize this scenario (we've all been in it one time or another): You're playing a match, and your opponent has you endlessly locked down with an insane momentum of rushdown. How do you stop their onslaught? Your answer is the aforementioned Wakeup Attack, which has the power to turn the tide of a battle (without meter for some characters!)

Q: What makes Wakeup Attacks so powerful?

A: All Wakeup Attacks are programmed to have 8 frames of invincibility. So say normally you'd start up your offensive onslaught with Sub Zero's Slide (which has a small hitbox itself). Normally done, there is a chance you can be knocked out of this move (IE via a projectile). However, when done on wakeup, you are invincible for 7 frames, meaning your attack will continue without interruption. Neat huh?

Q: What's the catch? There's gotta be a catch.

A: There is a slight one. Some attacks utilize these 7 invincibility frames moreso than others. This is why I made the Wakeup Attack Handbook, so that we could all discuss the utility and usability of each special attack per character as a Wakeup Attack. Feel free to discuss and debate the best Wakeup Attack for each character in the MK roster and I will update it accordingly!

---
CHARACTERS

Spoiler:
JOHNNY CAGE

Flip Kick - It has invincibility frames when used as a wake up attack. Also, it's safe to everything in the game minus the fastest specials/uppercuts. It also deflects projectiles if timed correctly.

When to use: When you are being pressures after a knockdown. Use it only when your opponent is being aggressive and trying to pressure you when you're on the ground. DO NOT use it if your opponent is far away and, or zoning you. Be careful not to use it too much or your opponent might try to bait it and punish.

Nut Punch - One of the best wake up attacks in the game. Once again it has invincibility frames on wake up. Mostly use when opponent is touching you after a knockdown, or when opponents are trying to jump into you. This move can also interrupt opponents midcombo or during a special. Another great feature is that the enhanced version can even stop X-rays if timed correctly.

When to use: As stated above the best times to use this move is when the opponent is close after a knockdown. This also catches airborne opponents jumping into/away from you, and interrupts specials.

*What to do if you're being zoned*

The only move Johnny has to break through zoning is his Enhanced Shadow Kick. This is pretty much the only thing you can do if being zoned after a knockdown. It's thankfully, all you really need

(Credit goes to DCP!)

---
Spoiler:

JADE

Overhead Staff DB+2 Generally this is a good plan for those opponents that are just out of sweeping distance. Not only can this wake-up jump over MOST projectiles, but the EX has armor as well. This is also a good use for crouch-blockers. Not to mention that it starts nearly ALL of her good damaging combos. However, I find that Shadow Kick does a MUCH better job of stopping pressure, unless of course you want to use the EX Overhead at the cost of meter... And Jade's meter is VERY valuable so... maybe not the best idea to get those Johnny Cage's out of your face...

Shadow Kick DF+4 This is the attack I use mostly out of knockdown. It is relatively safe on block and it can knock the opponent to the other end of the screen if you follow it up with another Kick. This helps to begin Jade's razorang zoning. This is the attack that also slows down pressure, as it comes out relatively quickly. The EX version has armor and goes full-screen, so if the opponent is out of Overhead range and is throwing out their zoning, this is a valuable tool to get in close

Shadow Flash BF+3 The normal version of Shadow Flash IS useful if the opponent is far away. It allows you to avoid their projectiles and either get in close with a Shadow Kick or two without fear of being hit by a projectile (and conserve meter, rather than utilizing the armor of the EX Kick.) And it also allows you to avoid projectiles at a long range and start up your own projectiles and zoning game. The EX version is more valuable up close to stop rushdown games from your opponent. It gives you immunity from flinching and projectiles while active. Though use it sparingly as it costs meter AND you take more damage when you're hit. However, it gives you the opportunity to start your own rushdown, zoning, combos, etc.

(Credit to BrokenJanders!)

---
Spoiler:
KITANA

Kitana has 6 Specials: Fan Toss( d, f+1), Cutting Fan(d, f+2), Fan Lift(b,b+2), Square Boost(d, b+1), Pretty Kick(d, b+3) and Fakeout Kick(d,b+4). all of these moves have enhaced versions except for Fakeout Kick. two of these moves are good wake up, 1 of these move is a good wake up when enhanced and the other three shouldn't be used as wakeups at all. I'll talk about the two main wake ups first.

-Square Boost. this move is a decent wakeup move but its used differently than most wake ups. this one will be used defensive as its main use to to escape the corner. it has invincibility on startup so its best to use it to escape corners. mostly likele this move will whiff, but you should land far enough from the opponent to avoid punishes. THIS MOVE SHOULD ONLY BE INTENDED TO USE AS A CORNER WAKEUP. If you use this move outside of the corner, you'll just fly right into the corner. You might avoid punishes but the fact that you in the corner is not fun, especially if you fighting Jax, Noob, or Liu Kang. Be careful as a skilled opponent might bait you into using this move and you'll eat a combo if he does bait you. It can be used as anti-air on a late jump in opponent. The enhanced version has the same characteristics as the regular but has armor and deals more damage. Again, this move should only be used as a wake up to escape corner. It has invincibility frames on start up and the armor might help you escape if the opponent attacks you after the invincibility frames has ended. Other than that..no real uses for the enhanced version.

- Fan Lift. This is the main wakeup for Kitana. Its invincible on start up but can still be hit out of it by low kicks. This move stops most oncoming attacks so if you're waking up and the opponent is applying pressure, use this. Most likely it'll catch them. This move is unsafe on block and whiff, but most players wait for the move to finish completely before attack. In that case, you'll be safe. It can be used as an anti-air..but only on late jump-ins. If the opponent is already descending from the jump and you use this, the opponent will land intime to block it since the start up is slow. It has MASSIVE active frames though. So if you use this and the opponent HASN'T blocked it yet, the move stays active for a long time. It'll catch a lot of people off guard, they'll think the move is finishing but then walk right into it. THE enhanced version is Kitana's BEST wakeup/anti-air move and one of the best wake up/anti-air moves in the game. It starts up INSTANTLY which means there is no wind up. It's COMPLETELY invincible to EVERYTHING except Low Kicks. This move will also catch an armored opponent. If the opponent scored a knock down and is rushing down, use this. It'll catch them 95% of the time. This move is also a better anti-air than the regualr version because of the instant startup. Therefore this version can catch opponents descending from their jump. This move is nasty. Beware though, skilled players will wait for you to wake up with any version of this move, block it and punish you. Those two moves are Kitana's best wakeups. The one wakeup she has that's useful ONLY when enhanced is:

-Cutting Fan. The regular version is not a good wake up, but it could catch some opponents off guard. it has invincibilty on start up and its safe on block. But this move, despite the invincibility, can be knocked out of. If you manage to hit your opponent with this, it puts them in a stagger state and kitana recovers fast enough to continue her pressure. The enhanced version is the much better than the regular version. It's completely invincible, does more damage, and sneaks in two extra surprising hits. Use this on wake up if the opponent is rushing your down. its safe on block and most likely you'll land the final portion of this move because the opponent will block the 1st two hits but not realize two more hits are coming, scoring kitana a knockdown. None of the versions are really good anti-airs though.

Three last three moves SHOULD NOT be used as wakeups.

(Credit to FatalityRay90!)

Last edited:
haha, nice thread !! wake up attacks are a fine feature that worth a lot to be explored

** BTW, Thirteenthorder, saw some games of you in TRMK stream, you play very good ! Kicking ass with Rain in the very first release day ? wow, impressive !! XD

i thought there might be a listinng of what moves where wake up attacks n stuff cuz im not sure what moves act as wake ups or not honestly sort of a new to the whole thng i undrstand what is said here already tho.

Johnny Cage

He only has two useful ones for the most part.

Flip Kick - It has invincibility frames when used as a wake up attack. Also, it's safe to everything in the game minus the fastest specials/uppercuts. It also deflects projectiles if timed correctly.

When to use: When you are being pressures after a knockdown. Use it only when your opponent is being aggressive and trying to pressure you when you're on the ground. DO NOT use it if your opponent is far away and, or zoning you. Be careful not to use it too much or your opponent might try to bait it and punish.

Nut Punch - One of the best wake up attacks in the game. Once again it has invincibility frames on wake up. Mostly use when opponent is touching you after a knockdown, or when opponents are trying to jump into you. This move can also interrupt opponents midcombo or during a special. Another great feature is that the enhanced version can even stop X-rays if timed correctly.

When to use: As stated above the best times to use this move is when the opponent is close after a knockdown. This also catches airborne opponents jumping into/away from you, and interrupts specials.

*What to do if you're being zoned*

The only move Johnny has to break through zoning is his Enhanced Shadow Kick. This is pretty much the only thing you can do if being zoned after a knockdown. It's thankfully, all you really need

EDIT: By the way, wicked idea, 13..

Last edited:
Cool thread idea, how do you plan on dealing with conflicting opinions? I think EX Ragdoll is a fantastic way to wake-up with Cyrax, personally, but I know some people get really bent outta shape about using meter to wake-up. Or maybe someone doesn't like the possibility of eating a full combo on-block for Reptile's Slide but someone else loves the potential for busting out of the opponent's pressure.

Either way, I'll give my thoughts on Sub-Zero. I don't honestly like Sub-Zero's wake-up options, they're just not that great.

- His Slide is good for someone who gets overzealous and is trying to charge full-steam ahead at Sub-Zero, it breaks their momentum and it's an untechable knockdown. However, anyone who understands that Slide is Sub-Zero's only real offensive wake-up attack will be able to either get up close and block low or will be expecting it from range. Further, good players will try to bait out the wake-up Slide, block it, and then punish it with a cute little 30% combo. His Slide should be used very sparingly.

- Ice Clone is a very mixed bag as well. If the opponent's given you some breathing room then you can throw out a wake-up Clone and considering it comes out in just two frames (yeah, that's the fastest special in the game lol) you may catch them trying to rush in once you've gotten up. However, wake-up attacks are really best for dealing with suffocating pressure and that's where the Ice Clone falters miserably on wake-up. If the opponent is right on top of you, the Clone simply won't come out, you'll be stuck in recovery frames, and they'll be right back on your ass.

My opinion is that Sub-Zero has a relatively weak wake-up game against a smart rushdown. If the opponent crouch blocks on your prone form, they can both block the Slide and stuff the Clone at the same time and all they have to do to resume pressure is let go of block and the down arrow.

i thought there might be a listinng of what moves where wake up attacks n stuff cuz im not sure what moves act as wake ups or not honestly sort of a new to the whole thng i undrstand what is said here already tho.

Why don't you let us know who you use and maybe someone can come by and post their wake-up attacks and their uses. I'm sure this thread's gonna see some solid traffic, your question will most likely be addressed. =)

Are you sure "all" wakeup attacks have the frames of invincibility? I use Kitana a lot and her fan slice wake up is the one I tend to use the most but half the time I still get smacked when using it.

Any wake up options for shang tsung besides EX Soul Steal?
I know ground skull has invincibility frames, but it's too damn slow.

Also, I hate when I want to do a wake up attack and end doing a recovery -_-

Any wake up options for shang tsung besides EX Soul Steal?
I know ground skull has invincibility frames, but it's too damn slow.

Also, I hate when I want to do a wake up attack and end doing a recovery -_-

Sadly, no bro. Shang has one of the worst wake up games out of this entire roster.

Sadly, no bro. Shang has one of the worst wake up games out of this entire roster.
Yeah, he's one of the worst. If you are trapped in the corner.....you're dead. Good thing that doesn't happen frequently.
I was still hoping for a decent wake up option. Oh well

hey man this thread is really great! im a good player and am naturally great at these games but i need to really get down to learning all the technicallities....

CYRAX

ok so ex ragdoll IS a great wake up... but what are other good options for cyrax? i've used ex tele-blast to GREAT extent on wake ups... but again its a bar wasted and cyrax waking up with barrs i feel is TERRIBLE because he wants energy so much for combos.

so heres my situation. i am a great cyrax player right now but theres a certain point when i fight a really really really good player that i just cant break through AT ALL to even start a combo. i've got 40% dmg combos pretty good with cyrax and up to 60% max with bars but breaking through or stopping the onslaught (mainly J.cage rushers) is what brings my doom often.

any info on using wake ups as cyrax to (if it even exists) start combos or distance myself from the opponent would be very appreciated! does he have any no-bar wake up options?

thanks!

-OlympusMons

You can mix up Ermac's Lift, Push and port. But I find in the rushdown situation that the lift is best. My roomates have been ready to strangle me over this tactic.

Not all WU's have the same frame speed, f.i. Mileena's roll is one of the fastests wich punishes Nightwolf shoulder EVERY time just like Cage's Shadow Kick, she just rolls under them or through them, but like against KL's spin or Scorp's flame it's hopeless. You got to try everyone against everyone to figure out what's faster than the others, and @ Max Damage: just spam Scorpion's flame before hitting the floor and you'll get him with it, ready to strike with your next hit, all I can say is: PRACTICE WU's vs other WU's with a friend at home and check out the frame data thread it's very helpful.

CYRAX

ok so ex ragdoll IS a great wake up... but what are other good options for cyrax? i've used ex tele-blast to GREAT extent on wake ups... but again its a bar wasted and cyrax waking up with barrs i feel is TERRIBLE because he wants energy so much for combos.

any info on using wake ups as cyrax to (if it even exists) start combos or distance myself from the opponent would be very appreciated! does he have any no-bar wake up options?

thanks!

-OlympusMons

[No Bar]Buzzsaw is a good WU as long as they are the ground. If they jump out the way some how...god help you. That thing stays out until the match ends. LOL But if it lands give you some time to excape and breathing room...puts about the same distance as away as you start the match with EX version will put them in the same spot I believe...someone correct me if Im wrong.

None start combos unless you are Black Cyrax in which you can combo out of EX tele.

Love when people are jumping at me with Sindel. I EX yell and it gets them 80% of them time. Sometimes, you can see it pause them in mid air and mid punch and it gives me the free hit.

Her EX low fireball is great too. Pushes them back and counts as two hits, one after the other.

And don't forget her step up. It's fast and useful both EX and normal