Quan Chi Thread - "You will serve me in the Netherrealm"

Sync25

Quanchi_screen.jpg

Quan Chi is the ruler of the Netherrealm, and a very powerful sorcerer. He is cunning and deadly, and other stuff. He works well as a 'zoner' with his undefendable EX Ground Burst as well as a movable Sky Drop which will keep opponents on their toes. Not only is he good as a 'zoner' but he also has an incredible mix up game.

[Notations]
Spoiler:

1=X/Square 2=Y/Triangle 3=A/X 4=B/Circle
xx= dash/cancel (varies), j.p/j2 = jump punch, njp=not used here.
[360/PS3 respectively]
d-down b-back u-up f-foward

[Kombo Attacks]
Spoiler:

1, 1, 2- generic 3 hit combo, linkable with Trance, cool against pressure and fast(ish)
1, 1, 3- another generic 3 hitter
b1, 1- generic 2 hitter
f1, 2, 1+2- Perfect to know, 2nd hit is low
2, 1, 2- linkable to trance if used if opponent is airborne
2, 1, u3- It's useful, hits medium
b2, 1 - Must know, a launcer
b2, 4- Useless :X
b3, 3- Good to know, first hit is low
b3, 1+2- Good to know, like the above combo, just 2nd hit is a launcher/medium
u3-Useful as it's a sole medium attack if people are crouch-guarding

[Tactics]
Spoiler:

-VS Spam, Zoners, and Keepaways
Movable Sky Dive is perfect to close in on these guys. Skeletal Boost/Buff is awesome if your opponent isn't 'zoning/spamming', or trading in a projectile with trance works just as well, EX Ground Burst is also unblockable, if they're pro guarding.
-VS Teleport Spammers
Guard>Punish repeat.
-Anti Air Tactics
Neutral Sky Drop downright punishes this, or Trance which gives you a free combo.
-Mixup Game
(will update later)

[Specials]
Spoiler:

Skeletal Boost (db4)- cool for damage/regen randomly, use in caution. EX gives both
Ground Burst (varies)- Goes from close-medium-far, extremely useful, it's EX is unblockable
Skull Ball (db2)- Generic Projectile
Sky Drop (db3)- Generic Teleport, without the genericness. You can control it to land on the opponent (no dpad motion required), or to land behind or in front of the enemy by holding left or right on the dpad respectively.
Trance (bf3)- Like Scorpions Spear, just does finger magic instead. Very useful
X-Ray Amulet Assault- Works a lot like Stryker's X-Ray, it works well against people that jump, 32% damage bare, 33% damage with trance. Also if someone is ducking, don't bother, it'll be ignored completely.

[Kombos]
Spoiler:

~No Meter~
b2, 1 xx b2, 1, xx 2,1,2 xx trance, jp 2, 1, 4. [37% damage]
f1, 2 xx trance, b2, 1 xx b2, 1 xx 2, 1, 4 [34% damage]
3, 1+2 xx, b2, 1 xx 2 trance, 2, 1 4 [32% damage]
1, 1, 2 trance, jp, b2, 1, xx 2, 1, 4 [32% damage]
u3 trance, b2, 1 xx 2, 1, 4 [27% damage]
~X-Ray~
b2, 1 xx b2, 1 xx 2, 1, 2, trance u3 x-ray 42% damage
b2, 1 xx b2, 1 xx 2, 1, 2, trance x-ray 44% damage (yeah, same thing except without u3)
f1, 2 trance b2, 1 xx 1, 1, 2 x-ray 43% damage (timing is hard on 1, 1, 2)
f1, 2 trance b2, 1 xx b2, 1 xx 2, 1, X-Ray 50% Damage (A Lot more efficient than the combo above, do not finish 2, 1, 2, start immediately with X-Ray)
[Other Contributions]
B2,1 Dash, 1,1,2, Trance, 2, 1, 4 [added by Demetrius] 30% damage

[Super Easy X-Ray Combos] - Almost as if you're mashing x-ray itself!
Spoiler:

[Tips/Insight]- (Advantages to these, is it's easy to make, and if you just want to get some damage without the worry of breaking the combo, it's right there. Plus, these are generally linkable in a combo, most of the time anyways.)
1, 1, 2 x-ray 35% damage
u3 x-ray 29% damage
2, 1 x-ray 39% damage
b3, 1+2 x-ray 37% damage (timing is somewhat tight)
Trance X-Ray 33% damage (1% MORE THAN REGULAR)

[Videos/Media]
Spoiler:

(will add more later, still playing/messing around with him)
True-Fact
Spoiler:

The same day I started playing with him [seriously], I made this thiread.

Last edited:
Re: Quan Chi Thread - "[quote]"

(reserved for other stuff)
Feel free to give me advice/combos/other stuff, I'm kind of new to this. X:

Last edited:

A good quote is "You will serve me in the netherrealm."

Quan Chi's 1, 1, 2 can combo into a Trance and is useful for juggling.
Didn't know that/wasn't thinking, will update that and use it for some combos, ty.<3
A good quote is "You will serve me in the netherrealm."
A funny thing is, I was about to do that, I just forgot. >.>

I had this vid up for a while.
Not much about combos, but what he is capable of as a character.
I've been waiting for this thread for a long time, I should've stepped up for a Quan Chi thread way before, thankfully someone finally did.

Quan Chi users least concern should be his combo damage, despite having a damage boost special that is almost completely worthless. Remeber he doesn't need even to combo in to his unblockable setups, and they do great damage alone.

Last edited:
Quan Chi users least concern should be his combo damage, despite having a damage boost special that is almost completely worthless.

What they should do is make it where you can use Skeletal Boost during his Trance; it sacrifices your Combo potential for the ability to do more damage.

What they should do is make it where you can use Skeletal Boost during his Trance; it sacrifices your Combo potential for the ability to do more damage.

You totally can do that. What I do (although it's really troll, is somehow get the person in trance. After that, I hop behind them and make them walk to the edge of the map, if I can time when it stops specifically (to the point where they cannot block) is throw an ex skullball, or even a regular one can do, then after it's sweet buffs.
Typically when the match starts if you can presume someone will jump or use a skill, trance will most likely get them into it, and there goes first hit and an extra bar, and repeat said strategy. The only thing is not getting hit, then everything would be all sunshine and unicorns. >.< But besides that, a well placed sky dive can get them to block and punish, but then there goes that, and right next to Quan Chi with his fun mix up games.
<3 b3, 1+2 !!!!
[edit]
Updated a couple of stuff in op. :3

You totally can do that. What I do (although it's really troll, is somehow get the person in trance. After that, I hop behind them and make them walk to the edge of the map, if I can time when it stops specifically (to the point where they cannot block) is throw an ex skullball, or even a regular one can do, then after it's sweet buffs.
Typically when the match starts if you can presume someone will jump or use a skill, trance will most likely get them into it, and there goes first hit and an extra bar, and repeat said strategy. The only thing is not getting hit, then everything would be all sunshine and unicorns. >.< But besides that, a well placed sky dive can get them to block and punish, but then there goes that, and right next to Quan Chi with his fun mix up games.
<3 b3, 1+2 !!!!
[edit]
Updated a couple of stuff in op. :3

Dinna know that, going to have to do it meself :D

Also, You should note that, correct me if I'm wrong, Ex-Runes hit the air, too.

I heavily advise you add that even if you warp behind or in front of the opponent you can be punished, if your opponent knows that you'll land in front or behind them (can be punished from behind if opponent crouch blocks or in corner).

Sky drop is not only unsafe, it is a horrible wake-up, you can't rely on the enhanced version if you are planning to do trap strings either (1,1 ex rune, 2,1 ex rune ect.)