Quan Chi Thread - "You will serve me in the Netherrealm"

Dinna know that, going to have to do it meself :D

Also, You should note that, correct me if I'm wrong, Ex-Runes hit the air, too.
It totally foes, but I prefer using it on blocking opponents especially ones that blocks my f1, 2 or b3, 1+2. But I can see it useful for that if people smash the d-pad, or like most people that might jump on skill, will almost guarentee a free hit.

I heavily advise you add that even if you warp behind or in front of the opponent you can be punished, if your opponent knows that you'll land in front or behind them (can be punished from behind if opponent crouch blocks or in corner).
Yeah I noticed I was getting uppercutted as soon as I sky dived to the other side, but guessing corners are super obligatory to not use it. I only do it if I KNOW the opponent won't be able to react fast enough.:x

Sky drop is not only unsafe, it is a horrible wake-up, you can't rely on the enhanced version if you are planning to do trap strings either (1,1 ex rune, 2,1 ex rune ect.)
All teleports are unsafe as wake ups unless you know they aren't willing to block as well as just attacking your immobile body.

A great friend of mine, Underthemayo is a great Quan Chi player like myself, check out his unbreakable setup using Quan Chi's enhanced skull and groundburst. I normally do this in situations where the match is too close when I my opponent has breaker. Its 43% damage.

A great friend of mine, Underthemayo is a great Quan Chi player like myself, check out his unbreakable setup using Quan Chi's enhanced skull and groundburst. I normally do this in situations where the match is too close when I my opponent has breaker. Its 43% damage.
Hmm, interesting... I never thought of using ex skull like that, and ground bursts in succession like that. It is beautiful. I'm totaly going to dissect this into my strategies, and will add to the video section.
I'm also thinking of what to put in for my reserved post. I'm thinking of explaining how I play with Quan Chi. Putting up a list of match up seems boring and somewhat useless (although this is my opinion), since everyone plays differently. Any ideas anyone? [7/11/2011 for dat time stamp for question :<]

who here thinks Quan chi on the ladder mode. "when the opponent"

looks like a gremlin. he diffidently looks different from using him on ladder

reply I on here

if its a close match and you have 3 bars and get someone in that combo couldn't you just do an xray after trance for more damage and can't be broke?

if its a close match and you have 3 bars and get someone in that combo couldn't you just do an xray after trance for more damage and can't be broke?

Mm, yes. 1 EX skull and 2 EX Ground Bursts does 32% damage in total, while x-ray will be nerfed down to trance (however, trance+x-ray=1% more damage than neutral x-ray). Not only that, but in the video, there was more he could do with b3, 1+2, but he rushed into a trance before anymore could be done (this is assuming the enemy is either at breaker, or doesn't want to add more to add to opponents meter, or any other theories I can pull out of my ass). But, this video more or less, demonstrates the potential Quan Chi has with meter with unbreakable combos.
Also, assuming x-ray doesn't finish 'em off, you just fed your opponent some meter sauce. Like one random American commercial says, "Mmm, Mmm Good!"

Here is another one by underthemayo.
There is alot more damaging juggles that can be done before the trance, I am of aware of that, but this is pretty easy setup for high damage,

I'm might post some resets I created in the future as well when my vids are finished.

I cant view the vids because my browser is ancient so I dont know if im repeating but my favorite combos are
b2,1 DASH B2,1 DASH 1,1,2BF3 JF1 1,1DB3

The 1st dash should be cancelled and the 2nd dash full, from this you can mix up f1,2bf3 or b3,1+2 f1,2BF3

I cant view the vids because my browser is ancient so I dont know if im repeating but my favorite combos are
b2,1 DASH B2,1 DASH 1,1,2BF3 JF1 1,1DB3

The 1st dash should be cancelled and the 2nd dash full, from this you can mix up f1,2bf3 or b3,1+2 f1,2BF3
The thing is after trance, you can do the most damage (assuming you full juggled the person) by j.2 2, 1, 4. Anything other than that won't do as much damage, or at least anything that adds up to 20% (alone), whereas everything else is about 16% damage.
I also do not recommend using b2, 1 as a combo starter, it is way to slow and even predictable to 13 year olds that has no idea how to play besides block (although all they really do is sit there and block anyways). It's safer to pull off f2, 1 ; b3, 1+2 ; or even baiting people to block low, and then pop them with u3+trance or even 2, 1, u3 (although that's unlinkable, it still pops them out), or just throw in an EX Ground Burst.
Oh Also, updated everything besides videos, I wanna organize stuff before I update the 3 piles of videos, including my own one I just made, I'll throw it here if anyone is interested, basically combos.

Can anyone fill me in on Quan Chi's matchup against Kitana and Mileena? Kitana zones Quan Chi really bad and the more I try go get inside, the more fans and combos I eat on the way down to the ground. Then when Kitana rushes me down into a corner I might as well put down my controller with the block button taped down because I won't be using any other button but that one!

With Mileena, I'm constantly guessing where to block and what to do. When I try to combo she rolls+punish. When I try to zone with Skull Throw, she tele-kicks+rush down with combos/mixup game. When she does a sloppy tele-kick or roll, the only thing I can punish with is my uppercut. Big bad uppercut isn't gonna kill her though.

These two (besides Kung Lao, because King Lao is King Lao LOL) are seemingly the only ones that are giving me this much difficulty right now. I play Quan Chi just for fun, but when I'm in KOTH and I pick Quan Chi, suddenly everyone is surprised that I picked him and expects something nice. If my opponent picks Kitana, Mileena, or Easy Lao, Quan Chi looks like a can't-do-nothing-but-block-punk-wizard D:

45% damage bnb, only 1 bar of meter

Towards jp, B2,1, Trance, Towards jp, B2,1, Dash, B2,1, Dash, B1,1, Medium Range Groundblast (ex version).

This is takes a bit time to master.

A more pratical version, if you struggle landing the first B2,1 on any opponent, just B3, 2+1 into trance first. Follow up with the rest of the inputs and you'll get 43% instead.

Last edited:
Can anyone fill me in on Quan Chi's matchup against Kitana and Mileena? Kitana zones Quan Chi really bad and the more I try go get inside, the more fans and combos I eat on the way down to the ground. Then when Kitana rushes me down into a corner I might as well put down my controller with the block button taped down because I won't be using any other button but that one!

With Mileena, I'm constantly guessing where to block and what to do. When I try to combo she rolls+punish. When I try to zone with Skull Throw, she tele-kicks+rush down with combos/mixup game. When she does a sloppy tele-kick or roll, the only thing I can punish with is my uppercut. Big bad uppercut isn't gonna kill her though.

These two (besides Kung Lao, because King Lao is King Lao LOL) are seemingly the only ones that are giving me this much difficulty right now. I play Quan Chi just for fun, but when I'm in KOTH and I pick Quan Chi, suddenly everyone is surprised that I picked him and expects something nice. If my opponent picks Kitana, Mileena, or Easy Lao, Quan Chi looks like a can't-do-nothing-but-block-punk-wizard D:

Kitana
You have to stay out of the air, I had this problem before, remember teleporting after any jump will drop you towards the ground; I suggest you don't use skydrop that much (saying this just in case if it contributed to your problem). I punish kitana with trance evertime she recovers by landing from her air attacks. You should anticipate her fan lift wake-up and trance afterwards from a proper range. Her combos reach a strong level of distance, they consist of medium hits most of the time, if you back up enough to keep away, remember to f1,2 as she recovers (whether you jump over her or evade her fan slashes), it has great range, so does B2,1. If she persistently pressures with block strings, uppercut before she dashes into another one, Quan Chi has the best uppercut in her hands.

Mileena
All you have to do is anticipate her wake up attacks (bait tactics), the roll and tricky teleports. If a mileena tries to mix up by landing another overhead after you block the first one, jump kick into sky drop. She has a low hit combo as well, just tap low on block so your gaurd can switch to low than high immediately. punish with B3,1+2 more often and follow up with a trance link, you cant afford Mileena to escape you grasp, she is hard for Chi to catch. Only use skull throw (enhanced) when she is caught by trance, it is pretty safe, but slow, remember Mileena only needs to teleport to put a halt on your zoning tactics.

I cannot explain the best strategy to fight Kung Lao without going into serious details, I'm working on a vid that emphasizes Quan Chi's most difficult matchups, Kung Lao is one of them. I will have it up soon, sometime next week. I hope that my advice will get you somewhere with those two matchups, remember that Quan Chi is more on the lower end of the roster's balanced characters, its takes a bit more effort than simply having fun with him to win against tougher players/characters.

I like to keep my distance from Kung Lao, I usually tend to approach him with f1, 2. I try my best to not jump AT ALL, it usually gets me into a spin and into a minor/major combo that nonetheless deals damage, I like to bait Kung Lao into throwing projectiles.

With Mileena, just anticipate when she'll do her skills/strings, after the following, she becomes very easy to read, pending on who you play at least.

With Kitana, never jump, dash block and throw in combos, and if you can trade some juicy fans for a trance, you're in for a combo. If Kitanas going rushdown, keep a moderate distance and strike when the oppritunity is gold, I like to throw a few skulls or buff when Kitana does her teleport/fan-flying action.
Hope that helps xD

Kitana
You have to stay out of the air, I had this problem before, remember teleporting after any jump will drop you towards the ground; I suggest you don't use skydrop that much (saying this just in case if it contributed to your problem). I punish kitana with trance evertime she recovers by landing from her air attacks. You should anticipate her fan lift wake-up and trance afterwards from a proper range. Her combos reach a strong level of distance, they consist of medium hits most of the time, if you back up enough to keep away, remember to f1,2 as she recovers (whether you jump over her or evade her fan slashes), it has great range, so does B2,1. If she persistently pressures with block strings, uppercut before she dashes into another one, Quan Chi has the best uppercut in her hands.

Mileena
All you have to do is anticipate her wake up attacks (bait tactics), the roll and tricky teleports. If a mileena tries to mix up by landing another overhead after you block the first one, jump kick into sky drop. She has a low hit combo as well, just tap low on block so your gaurd can switch to low than high immediately. punish with B3,1+2 more often and follow up with a trance link, you cant afford Mileena to escape you grasp, she is hard for Chi to catch. Only use skull throw (enhanced) when she is caught by trance, it is pretty safe, but slow, remember Mileena only needs to teleport to put a halt on your zoning tactics.

I cannot explain the best strategy to fight Kung Lao without going into serious details, I'm working on a vid that emphasizes Quan Chi's most difficult matchups, Kung Lao is one of them. I will have it up soon, sometime next week. I hope that my advice will get you somewhere with those two matchups, remember that Quan Chi is more on the lower end of the roster's balanced characters, its takes a bit more effort than simply having fun with him to win against tougher players/characters.

I like to keep my distance from Kung Lao, I usually tend to approach him with f1, 2. I try my best to not jump AT ALL, it usually gets me into a spin and into a minor/major combo that nonetheless deals damage, I like to bait Kung Lao into throwing projectiles.

With Mileena, just anticipate when she'll do her skills/strings, after the following, she becomes very easy to read, pending on who you play at least.

With Kitana, never jump, dash block and throw in combos, and if you can trade some juicy fans for a trance, you're in for a combo. If Kitanas going rushdown, keep a moderate distance and strike when the oppritunity is gold, I like to throw a few skulls or buff when Kitana does her teleport/fan-flying action.
Hope that helps xD

Thanks for the advice guys. Learned a lot on my Kitana vs Quan Chi match-up. Buffing while Kitana is throwing aerial fans is a nice 'screw-you!' tactic. But against Mileena, yes, I can find her easy to read, but blocking her mix-up all game isn't going to give me a win. When she's inside and I'm blocking her strings, when she finishes a string I have nothing fast enough to hit her with before she starts the next string. Best I have is wait for her to roll/tele-kick and punish with b+2, dash, b+2, dash, b+1 1, Trance, jp, 1 1 2, groundblast. It does really good damage, but it's hard to pull off and most the time she has a breaker. I may just need practice against her to find my own answers, I think. Kung lao is still stupid. Almost an automatic lose for me every time unless I play my Raiden or Ermac. Noob Lao's are easy, but Kung Lao's that know what they're doing? That's where he almost becomes a game-killer. Hell, when a good Kung Lao player steps into my KOTH lobbies, I suddenly have to make a new one otherwise I'll be spending all my time watching people try and fail to defeat Kung Lao. Kung Lao match-up strategies are so much easier said than done. The moment Kung Lao is picked on the Character Select screen, my kombat strategy is automatically set to defense, which is stupid. I guess I want more offensive options rather than just holding the block button and hoping to God Kung Lao screws up somewhere.

thinking about picking up quan chi to pair with noob....but the sad part...want to know why?

his victory pose...laid back on a summoned giant bone hand chair....is badass.

yup...this is how i pick my chars! frivolous aesthetics that please me lmao.

thinking about picking up quan chi to pair with noob....but the sad part...want to know why?

his victory pose...laid back on a summoned giant bone hand chair....is badass.

yup...this is how i pick my chars! frivolous aesthetics that please me lmao.

I think Noob is a force to be reckon with when he's with Quan Chi, me and my brother use this team all the time.
Ha ha I picked up Quan Chi because I saw him in a stream for story mode 2 days before the game released, I loved his x-ray and his role in the story, I felt that I was compelled to use him lol.

You invited a great addition to the discussion, who do you guys think pairs best with Quan Chi in tag battle?

I looove Quan Chi going with Scorpion. They both have anti-zone assists and great mix-up. I just have to make my Scorpion better.

I think Noob is a force to be reckon with when he's with Quan Chi, me and my brother use this team all the time.
Ha ha I picked up Quan Chi because I saw him in a stream for story mode 2 days before the game released, I loved his x-ray and his role in the story, I felt that I was compelled to use him lol.

You invited a great addition to the discussion, who do you guys think pairs best with Quan Chi in tag battle?

I use most often Cyber Sub Zero to pick up my slack for Quan Chi. I excel greatly when it comes to rushing people that either turtle or rushes themselves. I also tend to zone a lot with ice bombs.
I'm also starting to pick up Ermac, which makes a good match for Quan Chi cuz him being an embodiment of souls and stuff, with his anti rush downing abilities and all that. :3

You might like this.....The noobey stomper!

b3,1+2 f1,2 trance 1,1,skydrop, repeat.

This should work once or twice on expierenced players and will always work on noobeys and if they dont block right it never ends.......until they breaker but you can skydrop in again and go nuts