RIP Youtube : it may be the end [due to government]

GuanxYu

Senate Bill S.978 in its simplest form states that if passed it will be a felony to stream copyrighted content like music in the background of a Youtube videos, web cam cover of songs, “Let’s Play” home made game reviews, anime music videos or AMVs and countless other videos that makes up the Youtube collective.

Senate Bill S.978 states that 10 or more public performances by electronic means taken during an 180-day period, of 1 or more copyrighted material will land a person 5-years in jail, and depending on what copyrighted material was used a person can be fined anywhere between $2,500 to $5,000.

Anyone that has spent time on Youtube, knows that there are hundreds of thousands of videos that would be affect if this Senate bill passes. This bill covers anything from video game reviews to even cell-phone videos of concerts, sporting events and press conferences. Even videos of skate boarding tricks gone wrong set to music could be considered a violation.

If passed this will just be added to the copy write laws already in place and will not only apply to the up-loaders of the YouTube videos, but YouTube themselves could also be held liable.

http://www.climbthenet.com/senate-bill-s-978-makes-most-of-youtube-a-felony/1717

i'll just post same thing i posed on TRF
well, i guess i might as well Delete ALL my ****ING VIDEOS from youtube since ALL of them use Music and Photos in some way , shape or form

for example, i guess my Screenshot videos will be deleted because i use a song.... BULL****
i guess my most popular video will be deleted along with my account

i make tons of these, even for XNA lara render slideshows i make after a while
even my TR9 music video will be deleted i guess,

since i'm using content i didn't make, i'm just using content not selling or making profit so it's just bull**** [better download New seether album while it's still up J/K
]

Well There goes my hours of listening to music on youtube,,****ING GOVERNMENT Rest in Peace Youtube
Thoughts, comments, Rants and *****ing is welcome

In my opinion i think its dumb i mean lets say there is a game i want to buy or a song that i might like or even a commentator that i like to watch well now i cant thanks to the stupid goverment its not like its hurting anyone its kinda helping there game sell by people watching these videos

Last edited:
Aren't we being a little over-reative? The bill hasn't been passed, and I find it hard to see them being able to legitimately justify taking down Lets Play videos since technically with funny commentary they could be seen as parody, which is protected under Fair Use.

This will never pass, guys; it's too hard to regulate, it's too broadly worded, and even if it magically did, it wouldn't affect anything for the Xbox Users; Micro$oft treats all youtube video's as free publicity, and so it won't raise any charges. Not sure on Sony, though.

YT is already messed up with how they handle copyright violations, so this is indeed shitty. I don't see it passing, though.

@ Demetrius

Agreed. It would be tedious for the government to regulate considering that means just about every of the billions+ videos on Youtube void that law. I wouldn't worry about it if I were you guys.

I hate how they want youtube to only be full of douchebags sticking their ugly ass mugs in front of the camera talking about stupid shit. like Shane Dawson and Ray William Johnson, these little shits are the poster boys for the whole site,they spawn hundreds of attention whores and clones each day. And those are the kind of people Youtube likes and encourages. And if this law passes, the site will only have these type of videos and channels.

I've already gotten enough warnings from youtube and alot of my videos taken down because I upload music.

Not only it is hard to regulate, but I also think it won't pass because: first imagine how much people around the whole world would be pissed if Youtube was taken down; second, there's no profit being made out of these kinds of videos, so no one is being hurt by that; third, in many ways, Youtube even helps the economy, like @Iceblade said, someone watches a video of a game, or listens to a song on YT, finds it cool and decides to buy it. It's like advertisement, and the owners don't even need to pay for it. If there was no YT, many people wouldn't know about some songs, or games, or movies, and would never buy them.

Yeah, I don't see this passing.

I've bought several albums

thanks to youtube...

as an uploader of music on youtube, I am glad to hear this. I upload some more lesser know metal bands that I own cd's of. And since real metal is in a depression in this trendy day and age, the best way to get it out to people is through youtube.

WMG says otherwise though, and I'm sick and tired of having my videos blocked/removed

as an uploader of music on youtube, I am glad to hear this. I upload some more lesser know metal bands that I own cd's of. And since real metal is in a depression in this trendy day and age, the best way to get it out to people is through youtube.

WMG says otherwise though, and I'm sick and tired of having my videos blocked/removed

I feel ya on this. I had over 127 videos of NIN (I uploaded singles and remix albums, never the actual album itself) and all of a sudden I was dropped down to about 50. I stopped uploading them once they pretty much threatened to ban my account.

Fox--the "no" button is too funny. You do know that according to this bill, the button is copywrite infringement 'cause it's Star Wars.

On the notion that this will be passed, it's very possible. CA has a new law stating it's illegal to use cell phones while driving. that law is not enforcable but it remains.

well jravenwood do you think the government will not do much or might not do alot about it even if they do make it a law like what you said about the use of cell phone while driving

They'll never pass this. and if they some how do, it'll be slain before it goes into effect. its just too crazy.