Escaping Pressure(Basic Defensive Options FAQ Thread)

Although circus I have to disagree with not being able to approach when you duck projectiles. Unless there is a steady stream, you will always have windows to dash in. and luckily you can cancel your dash with a duck. but I do agree that most people will get anxious and approach anyways lol.

in the same fashion you see Jade/Kunglao approach with low kicks and keep chasing you by dashing in between them. You can dash in between your ducks to approach. the only thing I'd be afraid of is some scary dash in or overhead. like... mileena's teleport kick.

EDIT: I have a question... so i played against a kano online. And I could not handle his up+ball spam. like.. I have a good sense of figuring stuff out. But everything I tried didn't work. Only thing I had going for me was Enhanced shadow glow.

How do you guys punish this? It didn't even have much lag for me to hit him when I blocked it lol. everytime I tried to counter attack it after block i got hit by another one. Was I too slow?

I usually deal with 1 move spam really well but this particular move has me baffled. I was able to win with noob saibot after that. But i feel like my Jade should have been able to win I just didn't know what tools I should have been using.

DOUBLE EDIT: Well I did not try ducking it. can't believe I didn't try that. I'll try just a ducking uppercut next time I run into one.

Last edited:
@Crit-Limit, did you try Jade's shadow kick (or w/e it's called)? The only way I found myself punishing/defending against up all is a dashing special like Barakas charge, or by back dashing and semi-projectile him out, it's hard for me to kill Kanos when I rush down, just due to ball/up-ball.
But IMO back up and keep distance.

@Crit-Limit, did you try Jade's shadow kick (or w/e it's called)? The only way I found myself dodging is a dashing special like Barakas charge, or by back dashing and semi-projectile him out, it's hard for me to kill Kanos when I rush down, just due to ball/up-ball.
But IMO back up and keep distance.

Yeah that's why I was able to win with Noob because His upball does not beat noob's upknee/shadow charge. Down back 2 with jade was really unsafe against him. I'll just have to find a friend to spam it against me lol. and Lab it out more.

I'll try shadow kick. I didn't try it because I only got 2 sets with him and I had a feeling his upball would beat my shadow kick. If we attack at the same time.

the thing about back dashing out. I don't want to give him too much space, because kano has a pretty good projectile. and shadow glow doesn't last long. and if I tried to approach during shadow glow ball attack. So I was left in the same scenario again.

bleh i'll figure something out. I always do. I was just annoyed that I couldn't figure it out in 2 rounds. I always get disappointed in myself if I can't figure it out in 2 rounds. Let alone not figure it out in 2 sets.

Because in tournament... that's all the time you got to learn how to adapt to something.

Last edited:
Great thread, I've been wondering myself how to get people off me without jumping or dashing away, did not realize the low punch and kick pokes were so speedy.

Thanks to Prince, we were able to figure out a way to beat it pretty guaranteed. And now that I am not scared of his up ball, i'm no longer afraid of knives. the only reason I was afraid to advance after shadow glow as because of upball. I never REALLy had a problem with knives until upball spam.

Btw after I block It I do 4,3> and it's really quick and the first hit, hits low enough to hit kano when he lands, cuz I think he's sorta in a crouching animation when he lands from his upball.

Last edited:
@Critical Limit

As soon as Skarlet came out Upball became more punishable. Now almost all characters could punish it with an uppercut on block. And if they can't do that they could downjab or throw him.

It was given two more frames of startup and 6 more frames of vulnerability on block.

I'm pretty sure Jade's uppercut could punish it on block. Her Shadow kick definitely can't.

@Critical Limit

As soon as Skarlet came out Upball became more punishable. Now almost all characters could punish it with an uppercut on block. And if they can't do that they could downjab or throw him.

It was given two more frames of startup and 6 more frames of vulnerability on block.

I'm pretty sure Jade's uppercut could punish it on block. Her Shadow kick definitely can't.

Funny because we just spent time testing it together grab was rather risky, and we had to aim it a certain way because since kano is spamming triangle he is auto getting out of grab for one direction. We tried uppercut but kano lands sorta crouching or something and jade kept whiffing her uppercut and getting hit out of it with the next up ball.

it's all right though like I said, we found a 2 hit string that punishes every time and w/o any small frame windows to do it in.

thanks for the input though.

This is a great thread! Thanks for the info.

A few questions:
1) This may sound like a stupid question but what did you mean about guessing wrong when trying to get out of a grab? Are you saying it matters what direction they're trying to throw you in when you're trying to break it?
2) What is grab cancel?
3) I've asked this on another thread but the difference is still unclear to me...what's the difference between dash block and dash cancel? Is it that you just input another move immediately after dashing?...if so I guess the nomenclature is a little confusing since you'd be dashing and then doing a move, the dash wouldn't actually be canceled. Unless I'm understanding it wrong.

One direction you want to spam square the other is triangle to get out of a grab.

Dash cancelling is to get out of the lag of a move or a string quicker using dash to get out of the move a little quicker. And to advance or to cancel out of dash early to do a move mid dash instead of at the end of your dash.

Dash blocking is most known for its use to block a projectile, then dash in then block again for the next one to close distance.

Last edited:
This is a great thread! Thanks for the info.

A few questions:
1) This may sound like a stupid question but what did you mean about guessing wrong when trying to get out of a grab? Are you saying it matters what direction they're trying to throw you in when you're trying to break it?
2) What is grab cancel?
3) I've asked this on another thread but the difference is still unclear to me...what's the difference between dash block and dash cancel? Is it that you just input another move immediately after dashing?...if so I guess the nomenclature is a little confusing since you'd be dashing and then doing a move, the dash wouldn't actually be canceled. Unless I'm understanding it wrong.

1) Sort of ..... 1 button for normal throw, 3 button for forward + throw button, I guess .... that's it ?
2) It's when you escape from the grab, when the character push away the enemy arms
3) Dash block : you advance while taping block button .... you can do dash + block button, next, taping forward + block when more closer.

Dash cancel : when you put a move as soon as you do dash animation, and , when certain special moves from some characters can be dash canceled, holding the button of that command and doing foward dash or back dash to stop the move animation. Exemples : Sub-Zero Force Claws, Johnny Charge Palm, Ermac Psychic Palm, Jax Ground Pound, etc ....

This is a really helpful resource! Especially for entry level tournament player like myself who is learning as I go.

Thanks again for the help!

here is a trick for avoiding zoner chip damage:
some characters can hit u with projectiles even when u are crouching like sub zero for example
you can just crouch and press down three it makes ur character crouch a bit lower while performing the low kick and it will just pass over ur head no chip damage ,it's good for a breather against spammers it will annoy them like hell :)

here is a trick for avoiding zoner chip damage:
some characters can hit u with projectiles even when u are crouching like sub zero for example
you can just crouch and press down three it makes ur character crouch a bit lower while performing the low kick and it will just pass over ur head no chip damage ,it's good for a breather against spammers it will annoy them like hell :)

Sub-Zero can't hit you just crouching. You don't need to block to avoid them. I know this works for Kano's knives, and Kitana's fans as well as many others.

Sticky Thread
I COMMAND THEE!
becool.gif