How do you escape...

I hate that too. Fought a guy like this a couple of times. It's way worse than Smoke's 3hit combo "spammers".

Jax's enhanced dash on wake-up.

Kano's up ball (I know its broken, but if he's doing the same combo over and over, he deserves it.)

Kung Lao's spin.

You must be unrelenting on the the offensive. If you get caught blocking the first two hits, immediatly use a fast move like the up ball or hat spin.

I HATE THAT. Some guy did that to me and he is from TRMK. TheThirteenthOrder. He wouldn't spam the fireballs but it was still annoying. I would use your breaker and use your wakeup attacks.

I'd like to know this too. I usually use either Ermac or Scorpion as they're the only two fighters I've had time to learn.

Personally, I think Liu needs to get nerfed. I've actually seen him do this combo and somehow (lag?) pop me back up off the ground and restart it, which makes it even more retarded when the entire round consists of somebody doing the same single combo from start to finish. But that's another story.

When I do a combo with either of my mains, they're a pain in the ass to pull off; like any ~40% combo should be. But when somebody connects with just one piece of Liu's combo - no matter where you are, airborne or not - all you have to do is hit the same three easy-as-pie buttons over and over again and bam, instant half damage. The combo just takes no skill IMO, it's the easiest one in the game from what I can tell and is nothing compared to those of the other fighters. There's no timing involved or precise location requirements to be met, and lag is virtually irrelevant in it's success. An outsider looking in would jump to the conclusion that the only reason his opponent picked Liu Kang is because this combo is the easiest. It makes people think you took a shortcut, and gives them the impression you can't do anything else. In my case at least, if wake-up attacks are the key to beating it that explains why I haven't been able to yet, because believe it or not, I've haven't learned how to do them. But to me, the above still stands.

Come to think of it, I have never seen anyone do a different Liu Kang combo. Not that this makes someone performing it any less cheesy, but is it the only one in his moveset or what? If it is... then at least I can half understand why people use it.

Last edited:
I agree, Liu Kang's whiff should have some self-stun affect or some shit because he can still link his Bnb when they hit the ground :p

This is me, too. Can someone explain the concept of a wake up attack?

Wake up attack is when you dial a kombo when you're on the ground so as soon as you get up your person does the attack. I main liu kang and that tactic really works because liu kang stays close to his opponents. In my opinion sonya blades wake up attack is the best against liu kang and her kicks are nearly unbeatable

I fought a similar guy using the same tactics a few days ago. I main Sheeva , so I just spammed the teleport stomp and then did a couple combos on him. It was really annoying though. There should be a patch to stop that combo from being used like that so many times in a row.

Answer:

If Liu Kang is in your face you HAVE TO BLOCK LOW. His low 3 hit string that starts his big combo is safe on block so Liu Kang players arent afraid to overuse it. Just remember though, that when you do block it, if you low jab you will stop him completely because YOU are at the advantage after blocking it. After blocking all three hits you could also try jumping over him, he tries to do it again you could cross up attack him and start your juggle instead. And of course after blockig it you could jump away or do a fast special.

The key is to not have him be on the offense at all. This game is all about offense, even when you're zoning. If you allow him to scare you into the defense he will try to do the string on you.

Liu kang does have two overheads. He has one slowish one that cant be link into a combo but does give him advantage if it hits, and he has an overhead that DOES juggle but he has to punch twice before he could have it come out. If you see these two punches make sure to block high.

Liu Kang needs those strings otherwise he has nothing practically. Be smart about it, prssure him instead of him pressuring you, and Liu Kang wont give you too much problem anymore. If you're upclose game isnt that great, then work on it.

The basic defensive options in this game are:

1. Jump away (safest option)

2. Jump over (goes into combo opportunity if the opponent keeps attacking)

3. Neutral Jump Punch (If you predict that they want to jump over you, you spike them down and start a juggle)

4. Down Jab (stops them in their tracks and gives you the advantage)

5. Fast Specials (risky because punishable on block. this option should be rarely done)

6. Down toe tap (fast but not damaging and gives very little advantage)

7. Down kick (slowish but gives alot of advantage)

Once you master all these options, upclose pressure characters shouldnt be that big of a deal. Just look for those gaps in his pressure and choose one of these defensive options to slip in and catch them off guard. Just takes practice.

Most people like characters with fast specials because they get a "free get out of pressure" special move. But seriously no character needs a fast special to stop pressure. Fast specials are actually the most risky thing you could do to stop pressure and should be a rare option you pull out.