Why do people love Blazblue?

Magna

I'm no hater, nor a troll. Never played the game either. Only watched some videos... The characters look cool, but the graphics look so outdated for PS3 games. So pixelated. And there are less than 20 character (and 3 of them are DLCs that cost $7, from what I read). From the videos I've seen, gameplay doesn't look so spetacular or unique either. So, what's the deal with this game? For me, it looks like that it's successful only because it's anime style...

Please, give me your opinions.

(And please have in mind that where I live is kind of hard to rent games and this game is specially expensive for some reason...)

I've played it a few times and its not for me. I guess its the hectic pace, and the funny bad translation "Rebel One, FIGHT!". The characters seem to be modified versions of previous and current games to me.

Blazblue is popular, because of it's weird, unique style, balanced gameplay and varied characters.

There's a big story mode for every character, where you take him or her and go through a number of fights with a lot of dialog between the rivals, branching paths etc.

And yes, there's a very limited number selection of fighters, but mostly each of them have a unique system to them. There's a little kid that fights with a huge, invincible doll during the fight, where you have to control both characters at the same time. And a women who can throw her staff and use it while planted in the ground to use various moves. With so many differences between characters, it adds a lot of depth to all of them.

Despite this, the game is fairly balanced in Blazblue Calamity Trigger, and only got better with Continuum Shift.

The game also uses GGPO, a special netcode. I don't know much about it, but from what I remember, it doesn't remove lag, but it removes input delay completely, making online play like offline.

So yeah, sorry for the wall of text, but there's a lot of reasons to like Blazblue. Keep in mind, it's VERY Japanese, so if that's not your cup of tea, stay away. But if you're open minded about it, please go ahead and give the series a try.

it's honestly the only fighting game i can watch casuals play and not be bored because of the art style and amazing pace

In my opinion
MK, SF, and MvC3 have become boring to me, even in tournaments until the Top 8 play,
Blazeblue to me is one of the few games that is fun to watch and play at any time

BlazBlue's pretty awesome. It's not pixelated at all, and although the animation is not the best in 2d fighting, it was improved in Continuum Shift.

I like it ^_^

The characters look cool, but the graphics look so outdated for PS3 games. So pixelated. And there are less than 20 character (and 3 of them are DLCs that cost $7, from what I read). From the videos I've seen, gameplay doesn't look so spetacular or unique either. So, what's the deal with this game? For me, it looks like that it's successful only because it's anime style...

Please, give me your opinions.

It was done pixelated on purpose and has been the tradition of Arc for years, since Guilty Gear. The game itself is very fast paced with alot of advanced tactics like cancels, insta-block, and barrier burst. Also as mentioned the game with updates has become very balanced. Many people got into the game because of its similar look and fast play style to Guilty Gear. Others have jumped on board due to lack of interest in the SFIV series and MvC3s balancing issues and broken netcode.

Also Arc just got the rights back for the Guilty Gear IP from Sega/Sammy so expect a new GG in the future.

Because nerds fetishize all things Japanese and at the time of it's release, good fighting games we're still in limbo.

That's my guess.

I still have mixed feelings about this game. I love japanese animations and I'm a big Gundam fan, but recent animes have been mostly pure garbage, and I hate the trend of "I like it because it's anime/from Japan". I think this is a game that I'd like to play sometimes, but not to buy it to play constantly like MK or SSFIV. Anyway, thank you all for your replies.

EDIT: Two more questions:

1) Any graphical difference between the PS3, 360 and Arcade Versions of Continuum Shift?

2) Will Continuum Shift II be released in disck format for PS3 like SSFIV:AE, or only as a DLC?

Last edited:
EDIT: Two more questions:

1) Any graphical difference between the PS3, 360 and Arcade Versions of Continuum Shift?

2) Will Continuum Shift II be released in disck format for PS3 like SSFIV:AE, or only as a DLC?

1) Not really, both ports are pretty damn solid from the arcade. PS3 is used primarily in tournament play mostly due to all the Fight Stick compatibility.

2) Only recent announcement is CSII Plus for PS Vita from E3.

Honestly alot of the fanbase is generated from the Guilty Gear series than random Anime folks. AH3 imo has more of the Anime folks.

BB is an excellent fighter, but I gave up on it long ago. As with Guilty Gear and MvC3, there's just way too much going on on-screen for me.

the thing I both enjoy @ at first hated about blaze blue was that all of the character played so differently that I had trouble grasping what was going on.
Hakumen & Rachel for instance have completely different play styles & even different ways to do their super combos(different guages from the rest of the cast).
The story is INSANE & full of depth & comedic moments.
It takes more investment then most fighters so if you are a fan you have put alot into it.

got the game( calamity trigger) through recommendations from this site, i enjoyed and was impressed it but to be honest i havent picked it up since, probably should have another go, but im to engrossed in mortal kombat at the moment. i got it for £7 from a bargain bin.

Both Calamity Trigger and Continuum Shift have been released for some time, and the price is $20 in the US. How much does the game cost in Brazil?

The graphics are not outdated; it's unfair to compare sprites to ultra-detailed models we take for granted in today's games. Compared to other sprite-based games before it, BB's sprites are larger and look sharper. The animation isn't on par with SF3, the former has fewer in-betweens needed for smoother-looking animation.

Last edited:
Here in Brazil I can't find it for less than 75 US dollars, but at stores it's usually over 100 USD. I guess I'll have to import it if I decide to get it. And since importing will be much less expensive than buying it here, I might consider getting the Limited Edition, but is it EU only? No American Limited Version? If I get a European game, does that mean I'll have to make a EU PSN account to get the DLCs for the game?

I don't get this thread at all. If you honestly think it's pixelated you must be playing the PSP version. The animation is pretty spectacular really.

And why like it? Because it's a fast paced game that plays incredibly different from match to match. Not only in matchups but individual play styles really come to in this game, much more than MvC3 or MK9 for example.

Also the "rebel one" thing, I'm not sure what it really is meant to refer to, I doubt it's bad translation because really the translation is pretty good in the game overall. The voice acting, however is terrible, I just leave it on Japanese voice haha. Unfortunately doesn't fix the terrible announcer.

Also has a pretty high skill ceiling, It's not Guilty Gear hard, you can perform some decently damaging combos even at my skill level, but the long, flashy combos require a great deal of execution ability.

Also the continuum shift 2 patch is free so I doubt they will release it as a new disk. It is annoying having to buy the new characters, but hey, at least they aren't on the disk like OTHER games...