Official TRMK Tier Rankings: YOU Vote!

Thirteenthorder

Hey all!

So, basically there has been much talk of Tier Lists (or lack therof) for Mortal Kombat 2011. Many users have been looking for a definitive list, yet there isn't really one to be found.

From this I had an idea. Instead of looking elsewhere for Tier information, let's make one ourselves. We've all been playing for a while now, and I think each and every one of you is qualified to make a contribution to these series of threads.

Basically, here's how things will go:

1. I will make a thread for a character (Example: This is #1, which is Scorpion)

2. You, my fellow users, will decide on a Scale of 1 to 10 on how useful/effective said character is. This vote should not be based on favoritism, rather how effective they are and how well they matchup against the rest of the cast. Try your best to be fair.

3. Voting will be open for 3 Days. After that the thread will be closed to new votes.

4. I will average the votes to come up with a decisive ranking based on the collective opinions of our community. Eventually all characters will have a ranking and we'll have a Tier List that represents us as a community.

So let's get the ball rolling! The current character to be ranked is Liu Kang, Champion of Earthrealm!

Remember, your rating is on a scale of 1 to 10, with 1 being the worst.

TIER LIST:

Cyber Sub-Zero: 8.96
Kano: 8.90
Cyrax: 8.69
Kitana: 8.44
Jade: 8.19
Kenshi: 8.13
Johnny Cage: 8.20
Mileena: 7.82
Smoke: 7.73
Sindel: 7.39
Liu Kang: 7.36
Sonya Blade: 7.25
Noob Saibot: 7.08
Scorpion: 6.46
Jax: 6.32

Last edited:
Re: Official TRMK Tier Rankings #1 - Scorpion

Scorpion? 7. He's great against the average player, but any good player can hand him his ass. I have no trouble with Scorpions.

Re: Official TRMK Tier Rankings #1 - Scorpion

7 .... he is easy-going and friendly to start to train, and to memorize, so, any newcomer in MK 2011 , I recommend try Scorpion first, to get used with the basics and how MK 2011 gameplay works .... when demo was released, I picked him first to learn the very basic about the game, and, he is a great character, despite now, being overused by newbies that just spamm his moves.

But, he is a good character to play. I have not none hate about Scorpion.

Last edited:
Re: Official TRMK Tier Rankings - YOU Vote!

Hey all!

So, basically there has been much talk of Tier Lists (or lack therof) for Mortal Kombat 2011. Many users have been looking for a definitive list, yet there isn't really one to be found.

From this I had an idea. Instead of looking elsewhere for Tier information, let's make one ourselves. We've all been playing for a while now, and I think each and every one of you is qualified to make a contribution to these series of threads.

Basically, here's how things will go:

1. I will make a thread for a character (Example: This is #1, which is Scorpion)

2. You, my fellow users, will decide on a Scale of 1 to 10 on how useful/effective said character is. This vote should not be based on favoritism, rather how effective they are and how well they matchup against the rest of the cast. Try your best to be fair.

3. Voting will be open for 3 Days. After that the thread will be closed to new votes.

4. I will average the votes to come up with a decisive ranking based on the collective opinions of our community. Eventually all characters will have a ranking and we'll have a Tier List that represents us as a community.

So let's get the ball rolling! First up is Scorpion, ninja of the fallen Shirai Ryu Clan.

Remember, your rating is on a scale of 1 to 10, with 1 being the worst.

Just a heads up.....please put all of this is one thread. We're not going to have a bunch of tier threads all over the place. Please try to keep things confined to a single thread.

What you should do to keep it organized is this:

#1 - Scorpion

scorpion.gif

*people vote*

*announce the rank after the 3 days and then put the next character up*

# 2 - Raiden

Dark_raiden_versus.png

*people vote*

*announce the rank after 3 days and then put up next character*

....etc.

A community tier list is a fun idea. But problem is it would be extremely biased and based on online experience which isn't worth much to be honest. Some people will say Scorpion is 9-10 but in reality he's just good online because lag makes his 50/50s and specials that much harder to react to.

Scorpion: 7.5

+ High tier imo and doesn't really have a lot of bad matchups.
+ Very easy to use and master. Advantaged by online lag.
+ Great offense and mixups.
+ Can counter zoners with ease.
- He's high risk/high reward.
- Relies heavily on mixups and guessing games to win. Scorpion loses to people that guess right or know how to block/fuzzy guard.

Last edited:
Okay Jade, will do, thanks!

Oh yeah, and you can add the results to your first post so everyone can look at the Tier list =)

Just a suggestion. We just don't want this section to be jumbled with tier lists and we want people to easily find it. Adding a list to the first post will be easy for people to see who has been voted on already and what rank they got.

Cool idea :)

Gonna give Scorpion an 8.

Another suggestion (too late I guess): But if you want to make a REAL community tier list, then you should do it like SRK: http://bbr.s23.eatj.com/matchupper/

Ask people to give their score on every matchup (ex: scorpion vs sub = 5-5). Because honestly, a community tier list without a matchup chart of any kind isn't worth much imo.

Sounds fun

Scorpion: 7

Very easy to use, has very good combination of special moves. Each one is effective and can punish pretty much every behaviour of the opponent. Still, just like Smoke, he's a nightmare for beginners & average players yet easy for pro class players.

Oh yeah, and you can add the results to your first post so everyone can look at the Tier list =)

Just a suggestion. We just don't want this section to be jumbled with tier lists and we want people to easily find it. Adding a list to the first post will be easy for people to see who has been voted on already and what rank they got.

Cool idea :)

Gonna give Scorpion an 8.

I actually do like the idea of keeping all votes in one thread, however I was gonna combine all rankings into one final thread which could be Stickied for all to see, once we determine the rankings of all characters.

Another suggestion (too late I guess): But if you want to make a REAL community tier list, then you should do it like SRK: http://bbr.s23.eatj.com/matchupper/

Ask people to give their score on every matchup (ex: scorpion vs sub = 5-5). Because honestly, a community tier list without a matchup chart of any kind isn't worth much imo.
You mean like this?
Scorpion's Matchups

Matchup Notations
Spoiler:

1=Strong Advantage
2=Slight Advantage
3=Even Matchup
4=Slight Disadvantage
5=Strong Disadvantage

Baraka: 1
Mileena: 5

You mean like this?
Scorpion's Matchups
Matchup Notations
1=Strong Advantage
2=Slight Advantage
3=Even Matchup
4=Slight Disadvantage
5=Strong Disadvantage
Mileena: 5
No.

See an example of a tier list with matchup chart: http://iplaywinner.com/storage/images/tierlist-jan2011.png?__SQUARESPACE_CACHEVERSION=1294258475181

Matchups in fighting games are usually scored like this:

0-10 = impossible matchup
2-8 = extremely bad matchup
3-7 = very bad matchup
4-6 = disadvantage matchup
5-5 = equal matchup (can go either way)
6-4 = advantage matchup
etc.

For example, some people say that Shang Tsung vs Raiden is a 2-8 matchup. So this would mean that Shang has 20% chance to win vs a same skilled Raiden player. So for this matchup, people would score Shang 2 and give Raiden 8. Understand?

Obviously, same character matchups are 5-5 (that's why you see a black square in the image I posted instead of a number)

Would be much easier if we had a dynamic template like SRK had though.

Last edited:
Scorprion's best tools are actually really underutilized. His EX spear has armor on it so it could be used to break out of pressure for a free juggle. An armored juggle starter is RIDICULOUS in this kind of game and yet absolutely none of the Scorpion's I have ever fought use it.

Overall he's a solid character but when it boils down to it I'd probably put him in lowmid tier. He has a good amount of even matchups vs some great characters but in the end he also has alot of bad matchups. This isn't saying he could never be incredible in the right hands though.

Vs rushdown he could EX spear to stop pressure so the opponent will have to respect that option. And vs zoners he has a REALLY solid(probably the safest and best right below Liu Kang's) mixup game with his F3 and F4 strings and his frame advantage 1,1,1.

Alotttttttttttttttttttttttttt of potential for Scorpion.

Scorpion: 6.0/10.0

As much as I dislike Scorpion, I'd say he's a very balanced character. I'd put him in the Mid to Low-Mid tier.
Scorpion: 6

Scorprion's best tools are actually really underutilized. His EX spear has armor on it so it could be used to break out of pressure for a free juggle. An armored juggle starter is RIDICULOUS in this kind of game and yet absolutely none of the Scorpion's I have ever fought use it.

Overall he's a solid character but when it boils down to it I'd probably put him in lowmid tier. He has a good amount of even matchups vs some great characters but in the end he also has alot of bad matchups.

Scorpion: 5.0/10.0

You and I think very alike sir! I was also planning to give him a 5. He has some useful tools, however in the end I just feel he has a lot of bad matchups and most of his tools are outclassed by others (I mean, Smoke's teleport vs Scorp's teleport, very disadvantageous).

So a 5 for me

Side note: I'd prefer the Tier List to look as least confusing as possible to anyone (such as new members and lurkers), so I'm gonna keep it at a simple 1 to 10.

Heck I'll just put my score for all characters right away:

S tier

Raiden: 9.5
Shang Tsung: 9.5
Johnny Cage: 9.5
Sub-Zero: 9
Reptile: 9
Kano: 9
Kung Lao: 9
Cyber Sub-Zero: 9
Ermac: 9

A tier:

Kabal: 8.5
Nightwolf: 8.5
Kitana: 8.5
Sindel: 8
Mileena: 8
Noob: 8
Liu kang: 7.5
Cyrax: 7.5
Scorpion: 7.5
Sonya: 7

B tier:

Quan Chi: 6.5
Stryker: 6.5
Jax: 6.5
Baraka: 6
Smoke: 6
Jade: 6
Sektor: 5
Sheeva: 5

But if 5 is litteraly "average" then A tier should be full of 5s and bottom tier should be 1s and 3s. I might have to change some numbers..

Last edited:
:S I may not be able to keep track of all your averages as the thread progresses. If you can, repost them as the days go on. Otherwise thanks =)