Salt on the Wounds (Please Read)

Matt Wilson

The past few threads I've made had a lot to do with online behavior, and this one is no exception. However, unlike the others which was more along the lines of 'self-help' tools, this one is more of a plea. It's just some food for thought, so try not to be too hyper-critical, but I hope the message gets across none-the-less. (If you want, read any of my other threads in regards to this subject)

I've talked a lot about character and maturity, but I haven't yet touched on the subject of people who cause most of the problems online anyways. No, not spammers, but something far worse. Jerks.

Egotistical, arrogant, ******* people who essentially have nothing better to do than to insult you on your skill level in a variety of ways. Whether you win or lose, they always have something to say, and although it may seem like a big joke to them, some people play this game for fun. Yes, casual gamers play this game, and they don't need to be bombarded with messages each time they lose, or made fun of for their technique in winning a match.

I know everyone will be quick to point out the spammers, and how annoying they are, and that if anyone deserved to be insulted, it's them. You may have a point, but also think of this; what if this was their first time playing the game? They want to get better, but they want to win too. Some people stick with training mode, others like to just hop on the saddle. Either way, if someone tries to spam you and you beat them, then great. Congratulations. You won, there's no reason to rub it in their face. (Unless they messaged you first with something rude to say, in which case by all means defend yourself)

But, sometimes people just insult people for the sake of...insulting them. They never spammed, and they tried their best, yet some people still insist on making fun of them anyways. There's no point to this, and it's only hurting the community as a whole. I can't tell you how many threads I've read with people rage quitting this game, and I feel like it has a lot more to do with it than just getting spammed on. I think a lot of people can only be insulted so much --- it's just a a game after all, and we're not playing for money. Everyone feels great when they win, and sometimes it sucks to lose, but when you start bashing someone (or everyone) constantly with their gameplay, it tends to take its toll on people.

That isn't to say a few quips here and there (in friendly terms) are a bad thing, not at all. Everyone has their smart ass moments. But sometimes people take this stuff like it's for real and tend to fly off the handle sometimes. How would you feel if your first online experience was playing against someone who totally dominated you, then afterward sent you a message like "You suck ass noob. Learn to play, ******." etc. etc.

Trash talk is essentially part of any and every game we play, but I shouldn't have to tell you where to draw the line. You should be able to know this, it's common sense. So all I'm asking is that people take it easy, be more respectful to your fellow players, and just relax, it's just a game. Whether your rage really hard and say things out of spite or anger, or your just a ****y person who likes to belittle the loser, just try to mellow it out and simmer down. I'd hate to see people quit this game because the online community bashed them (verbally) into oblivion. Call of Duty is bad enough, but at least it has a mute button. :D

So lets just play and try to keep the trash talk on a friendly basis, yes? You obviously don't have to listen to me, but I'd like it if you could, please. :D

ppl like this are always going to be around.weather you like it or not, so if you don't like it child lock your communications on your xbox so you can only get things from ppl on your budy list.

trash talk is a part of life. you could hear trash talk in school , online, or at a family reunion. some might be harsher then the others but still thats life.

I received my first piece of hate mail on Xbox the other day. I was in a KOTH room and the person that sent me the hate mail was complaining I was spamming my combos. Really how exactly do you spam a combo. I main Smoke so I get a lot of flack from people that do not like to play against him because people spam his teleport and smoke bombs while they use a spear/teleport/hell fire but I was not liked because I spam a combo. I guess the reality is that people want to win and anyone that keeps them from winning has some super spamming power that prevents it from happening.

The only category of players that I really dislike, are ragequitters.
Ragequitting is the worst a player can do. Childish, shameful, stupid.
When you accept a challenge or challenge someone, you must be prepared to eventually lose and accept your defeat without any problem.
Yesterday I played against a guy who had about 750-100 stats, I chose Smoke and after 10 seconds (I did 1 combo) he closed the match and sent me messages about being a "spammer"....I was disgusted.

I played this morning and was lagging and I always find it hard to do anything when lagging and this guy who was very good with shang tsung wooped me bad and sent me a message after asking if I knew kabal had more than 3 moves and special moves are easy to counter. I just thought wow what a dick and responded kthx. I just play for fun so doing a 4 hit combo + special move is all I really care about, I don't bother to learn those 8-9 hit combos simply because I don't have the desire to do that, I just enjoy the game.

I find the online to be too laggy, and besides, I really don't care for MP in general unless it is co-op. This is one of the reasons because people are jerks; if you lose, you say good game, not spam the person with hate mail or throw racial slurs at them. Really, it is childish and immature of people to act like that. Or when they win and rub it in your face;great, you won, good job, but you don't have to make fun of the loser. Seriously, people have no respect for anyone anymore.

I just played against a great Kitana player. We had some close matches, but I lost 8-0.
After the matches, I sent him a message congratulating with him and asking for tips...do you know what he did?
He answered me with insults, saying that I'm a noob, my game is horrible and boring, I'm a dick etc....
I always give max respect to the opponent, I don't think I deserved this.
I think I lose some interest in playing online...

Agreed. The meanest thing ive sent over XBL is"Thnx for the win" when someone leaves right before the game ends. I personally have been called a ****** AT LEAST 20 times online because I zone with Sindel and no one seems to know how to stop it. Some of what people here send after a game too is just ridiculous. There is no point in making fun of someone if you beat them. I appreciate people who are really good at this game(EMP Tom Brady for example) but I think these people are good because even if they win, theyre not going to be jerks about it. Some good players think they are gods because they won one match on a video game. Some of these people you face are jerks and deserve to be beat, but some might just be guys that after a long day's work, just want to have some fun on MK. But they can't because they get bombarded with messages making fun of how they play. Its extremely pathetic.

Last edited:
last night i was inthe beginner's lobby and stayed in theirfor a few hours. i pl;ayed against this one guy who had a high victory count and i beat him in the first round. but in the 2nd it was neck and neck and i d/c'd. after reconnecting i went back in their and that same player was telling me to "gtfo you rage quitter". first and foremost i dont rq. i'll take my beatings and come back for more. it was a simple d/c and i guess some players see it as quitting.

Everyone has their examples of crap players who like to talk trash after names, or to just call people names to be more precise.

Some people are immune and bullet proof, some people just don't care, but sometimes it's a minor annoyance while other times it's just ridiculous. Like I said on my post, people will always talk trash, that's just par for the course. All I'm saying is if you don't have to, then don't. If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say it at all. It's just a game, no need to rage quit and send messages filled with contempt for a person you may or may not see again. I just don't see the logic in it, and if anyone thinks differently I'd like for them to argue that point.

I've gotten a couple insults online. Not too much. I never send messages out, and that includes responding to these people. There's no reason to encourage them, I really couldn't care less about what they have to say. If they see it bothers me or I'm insulted they'll just keep doing it. I just delete the message and move on. I don't know these people so there's no reason to let them get to me. At least I don't use my headset so I don't have to hear them.

I just played against a great Kitana player. We had some close matches, but I lost 8-0.
After the matches, I sent him a message congratulating with him and asking for tips...do you know what he did?
He answered me with insults, saying that I'm a noob, my game is horrible and boring, I'm a dick etc....
I always give max respect to the opponent, I don't think I deserved this.
I think I lose some interest in playing online...

If it makes you feel any better at a tournament in teams, My opponents, one of them was constantly bashing on his teamate telling him he sucked, and said stuff like "What are you doing?" his teammate said "I don't know I'm sorry" and he responded back with "Well fix it." in the most dickish voice I've ever heard.

So later that day in 1v1 bracket. I got to face this douche in 1v1. I DESTROYED him, and i looked at him when the game was done and said "What's the matter? Fix it"

last night i was in the beginner's lobby and stayed in theirfor a few hours. i pl;ayed against this one guy who had a high victory count and i beat him in the first round. but in the 2nd it was neck and neck and i d/c'd. after reconnecting i went back in their and that same player was telling me to "gtfo you rage quitter". first and foremost i dont rq. i'll take my beatings and come back for more. it was a simple d/c and i guess some players see it as quitting.

bleh most you can do there is just apologize and tell him you honestly d/c'd. If someone was REALLY Rage quitting they wouldn't have bothered apologizing lol. So if he doesn't get the clue then well, screw him. But you can't blame him really for thinking you did that. However... he should have realized... you had another round guaranteed... why would anyone rage quit when they are ahead? or "might" break even. Stupid.

i'm good with kratos and use him all the time but when i win people quit and belittle me and talk shit and call me a shit player but then i challenge them again and beat them with kano then they call me a peace of shit spammer.

i've found with some people u cant win say ggs and move on.

Everyone has their examples of crap players who like to talk trash after names, or to just call people names to be more precise.

Some people are immune and bullet proof, some people just don't care, but sometimes it's a minor annoyance while other times it's just ridiculous. Like I said on my post, people will always talk trash, that's just par for the course. All I'm saying is if you don't have to, then don't. If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say it at all. It's just a game, no need to rage quit and send messages filled with contempt for a person you may or may not see again. I just don't see the logic in it, and if anyone thinks differently I'd like for them to argue that point.

Your second reason is where I fit in.I just do not care what some whiney sore loser has to say about me in a virtual world.I will never meet these fools.as a matter of fact,I have found that if you just laugh with them,they get really pissed that it isnt bothering you and 99% of the time they stop immediately.you REALLY shouldnt let them discourage you from playing games online.when you do that,they win

Yeah I would say the shit talkers are damn annoying. But usually I tell them, whether win or lose. " even though you talk mad shit, ggs mate, I'm just a lil past talking shit over a video games." Usually they respond with gg and then its done.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

I've never seen someone shit talk at me when I lose. Pretty much because I only lose to people with 8:1 win ratios or similar, who tend to be pretty respectful. And when I see folks shit talking others in lobby chat, I make it a point to challenge the shit-talker and silence them for a while.

However, I often get shitty messages when I win. To which I just respond and laugh at them, without any mention of the quality of play.

The reason why people trash talk is because they KNOW it will possibly make you angry.

Doesn't bother me at all. I get trash talked because of my gamertag before the game even starts. I don't care because it's just some guy who is safe in his home talking trash and we all know these same people wouldn't dare do it to someone's face so let them have their immature fun and ignore them. Ignoring them makes their childish tirade boring. They want to get a reaction so don't give them the satisfaction of one.

I suppose it is easy for me to say it because I am pretty laid back and don't let small things bother me.

haha, is also funny when they spam the chat and when you challenge them, they decline you lol, i usually call them out and they end up leaving lol

in the end tho, trash talk dont bother me, as i know that is a game, and theres a lot of people better than me at it, just like i know am better than a lot of people too, is a vicious circle really lol

I used to know a kid who would laugh maniacally while hurting people. It was his joy, he loved it more than people love food. People like him are a dime a dozen out there in the world. Go on a macro level, the government of each and every nation in the world would, if it could and circumstances allowed for it, annihilate all the other countries and people in the way of its interests. Thousands, thousands, millions killed, no big deal for them. Some guys get a kick out of stringing girls along to screw them over. Some girls get a kick out of playing with guys' heads and using them. Adolf Hitler man! Adolf Hitler, and Stalin, and Pol Pot, and Pinochet, and Mao, and Mussolini and Franco, Al Capone, Ted Bundy, Jeffrey Dahmer... And millions of people die of starvation and disease because they don't have the basic hygeinic needs and nourishment. Mother Theresa herself didn't give a shit about people, she made nunneries in the Third World so she could put out fifteen minute commercials to spread her religion and personality cult when the thousands in India and elsewhere that were in her vicinity claimed they'd rather die at home with their poor families than go to her overcrowded, non-equipped, waiting rooms for death that she called "hospitals". Look at cigarettes, companies not only make money off of the slow death of others, but people invest in them. And you are complaining about chatrooms and online gaming?

I don't mean to be a jerk but the reality is that the world is not ideal, in fact it is a very crap place, and life is very tough for a lot of people. You cannot stand up at the UN and say "No more genocide!" because twenty, thirty country delegates will laugh at your face and say "f--- off, we will do what we want" and everyone else will keep quiet because they want their gold/oil/diamonds/coal/uranium. What makes you think online gamers with nothing to lose will listen and be nice? You can't tell a mugger to be nice while he's sticking you up. If forbid some guy on the street held a gun to your head, pleading and saying "I have a family" will most likely make him feel uncomfortable and shoot you. This is the world we live in, and this is humanity. Its got sweet moments but the majority of human behavior is miscommunication and selfishness. People who survive learn to put up with this nonsense. You need to thicken your skin.