Kano thread - "One dead Lin Kuei, in a tick!"

Is kano best suited for keeping his distance? Thats what I find. In my opinion, maybe I just have to get use to him, but hes not very good up close. Anyways any other tips and tricks I should be aware of using kano?

Kano = broken ball and projectile.

That's all my thoughts on him.

why would you even post this here? this is not a i hate kano thread, its a kano guide. youve posted a entier thread based around your hate for what you deem cheap and op.

quite simply kanos upbal on recovery is getting nerfed (block only) and his knives are fine. they are fast and fast recovery but they are also no real mixups with them, there is no high/low varients or anything tricky, its just fast. entirely possible to get around when upball on block isnt broken. quite simply know the distance on his upball so you dont jump over a knife and eat a upball, you dashblock the last little bit. other chars have much harder strats to get around.

take your whining elsewhere, dont clutter my guide with it plz.

Is kano best suited for keeping his distance? Thats what I find. In my opinion, maybe I just have to get use to him, but hes not very good up close. Anyways any other tips and tricks I should be aware of using kano?

imo kanos close game can be quite deadly. hes not a rushdown char like johnny cage but he has some nice mixups and his choke/air grabs are great ways to keep the pressure game on wakeup. hes a bit like reptile in that he has a strong close and far game, but neither is the best in the game. so what is important is your ability to read and know when to switch between close and far games.

Both his knives and his up-ball have been nerfed.

if you can't still handle those moves, then you just suck.

I enjoy playing Kano and learning him more very day. Toughest part Im having is getting the timing down on his 2,1,2 and not whiffing the third hit. Also Im having trouble finding anything to do with his overhead other than a second hit.

Both his knives and his up-ball have been nerfed.

if you can't still handle those moves, then you just suck.

How were his knives nerfed? I haven't played much since Skarlet came out (storm knocked out my power til last night), but I didn't think nerfing Kano's Knife Throw was being planned?

Great thread.

Just some added info, a very easy combo I tend to favour lately :

F3B2-dash-B12-Upball : starts low, very easy and does 26% damage (30% if you start with a jump in punch)

Longer version : F3B2-walk-212-dash-B12-Upball (added damage but due to online lag I tend to favour the first combo to prevent whiffing)

For his overhead I use B2F1-Choke/ExChoke/Upball, depending on where I want my opponent to end up (far or near); It's short, easy and I use it more for the utility than the damage (although mixing this combo with the other ones above will leave the opponent guessing wether to block high or low ;-))

Last edited:
i too have not heard of kanos knives being nerfed.

also keep mind ive seen other people say kanos upball still isnt nerfed right now, if this is true then they are going to probably hotfix it in the near future since the goal was to make it more punishable on block. NOT on hit/whiff

Upball is nerfed aedanwolfe. Test it yourself. Most uppercuts punish it now and if the character doesn't have plenty of time now to fast special or downjab cancel into a special move.

It has 2 more frames of startup too so alot of the frame traps with it aren't 100% anymore.

People complaining about upball still now will complain about Upball for the rest of the time they play MK. They just have to deal with it and get better. It's not that great.... stop jumping around.....

How do I beat him with Jade, Kitana, Sindel, Sonya, Mileena, and soon Skarlet in Expert mode? I think he should be the boss character instead of Kahn. He's that difficult with his stupid air throws and rolling attacks.

i agree circus i just have had maybe 1 hour of playtime on the game in the past week between work and other real world requirements like my car breaking down. in that 1 hour i played with skarlette. i might get another hour tonight to play! /sigh

but ya people will always complain about upball/spin/noob in general lol.

as for nasty_freak id say learn to play against him instead of trying to use your same strats.

dont jump if your too close...you will eat upball

dash block thru projectiles (and really jade shouldnt be having a problem with them)

learn what his mixups strings look like (you should do this with every char)

be mindful of the range of his sweep (you can sweep some chars from starting screen location with him)

punish, his choke isnt a grab technically as its blockable.

edit: and doubtful now if ill get to play tonight...grr...too much to do.well if i do ill be working on kano and ill try to see if i can expand/update anything in this guide on him.

Last edited:
anyone want to share your tricks/mind games/frame traps? also your strats on the wakeup game? id get into practicing more but im seriously stretched for time and have been burning about a halfhour researching to try and fill out this thread more before i go to bed and am not home again for like 36 hours.

Tricks and mind games... hmmm

Dunno if these qualify, but I tend to use this :

Bait a projectile war then use Ex upball. Dash in and use F33, dash in and use grab. Tends to mess with people's blocking.
Or dash in and use B1 but instead of starting the regular combo string, switch to a grab. Recovery on B1 is often fast enough to do so.
Or use jump in kicks combined with grab. If they don't block, you'll get an air grab. If they do block, you tend to be able to still grab them.

It's just small things, but I find a lot of people don't really expect these and I can keep decent pressure going. You'll notice by round 2 they'll block low quite often and that's when you start using his B2 overhead, F1, upball.

Kano's F+3,3 is a wonderful "dirty trickery" move, hehe !! XD

After some basic combo with at least 2 hits, or after a good 3 hit combo, keeping pressure and coming next with this F+3,3 can catch people on surprise , because hits low .... normally works well. It's a good mix up basic combo. Good to use when opponent is getting up after being put down by some other combo.

Kano's F+3,3 is a wonderful "dirty trickery" move, hehe !! XD

After some basic combo with at least 2 hits, or after a good 3 hit combo, keeping pressure and coming next with this F+3,3 can catch people on surprise , because hits low .... normally works well. It's a good mix up basic combo. Good to use when opponent is getting up after being put down by some other combo.

F+3,3 is pretty nasty and easy to pull off. If you can try to do F+3,B+2 that'll launch them and then you can get some work done from there. It's tougher to pull off but it's rewarding. Also if you mess it up, like I always do, and do F+3,3 it does a nice 2 hitter that will send them flying back.

Last edited:
Knives recieved more cooldown between each throw, it's not alot but it's noticable. He still has the the safest projectile in the game, and the best recovery. the time to throw a knife after he already threw one is increased.

Yea I read about the knives yesterday. Slightly annoyed as he has no specialty knife throws like lows airs etc. Ex knife just does more damage. Id love to see his ex to be something tricky like tww projectiles or one low one high type deal. Happy with the upball change but the knife one I'm on the fence with. Its possible that it was too difficult for some chars to close space. Tho I doubt it as I thought people just had to crouch to avoid them

Yea I read about the knives yesterday. Slightly annoyed as he has no specialty knife throws like lows airs etc. Ex knife just does more damage. Id love to see his ex to be something tricky like tww projectiles or one low one high type deal. Happy with the upball change but the knife one I'm on the fence with. Its possible that it was too difficult for some chars to close space. Tho I doubt it as I thought people just had to crouch to avoid them

Yeah, I kinda wonder why they felt the urge to nerf his Knife Throw even if it was only a slight nerf. Curious. *strokes scruffy beard thoughtfully*