anyone disappointed by Mk? not as hardcore as i hoped, pretty spammy

AriesSiren

Alot of people begged for 2D. i didnt. but i for one loved MKdeception. it was pretty deep with 3 fighting styles and amazing production values. MK9 is kind of just OK, the soundtrack is the worst, the armory is the only music i like. the fighters are really tiny, and the stages/sound effects aren't that great. like its not finished. theres just no magic. The biggest complaint, just from me, is that it reminds me of tekken(worst fighter ever, sorry guys). the dial a combo thing they said they weren't going to do is getting spammed like crazy. even if your blocking, your opponent can just keep combo-ing you so you cant move and then dash-jump over you and jump punch combo. its never ending especially with raiden. i think if your fighter is blocking the combo you shouldnt be able to continue the combo. should stop after 2nd hit. it reminds me of the 10 hit dial-combo. i really was hoping for a timed counter move like in MKarmageddon/DOA4/virtua fighter5/soul cal4. lui kang has one. i can get out of players spamming special moves, but the combo spam is just ridiculous. it was skill to counter a hit, but here its all a jump punch-a-thon like mkdc. i still love MK, dont get me wrong, there are some great legit fighters playing it. but man, i need some more depth. Virtua fighter 5 just raised the bar and its like stepping back. any1 can remember a combo, but true skill is countering them with timed precision and if you miss, thats your fault. what do you guys think? Mk9 is a guilty pleasure, but i still go back to VF5(Aoi umenokuji) for my hardcore fix. 2D is just outdated to me. please dont think im a hater, deception is my fave Mk, but this one, while i like it, just feels so casual to me. more for tekken street fighter people i guess. heres hoping the patch fixes alot and balances the game to make it fair. cheers

Let's see here: you're looking at MK for a hardcore fighter.

I'm just going to say you'll probably be in the minority here.

While I respect your opinion. There is a world of differance between mortal kombat and virtual fighter on one hand you have a no where near realistic projectile based fighter on the other you have a game striving to be as real as possible that being said with mortal kombats projectile heavy style the move back to 2d was needed badly projectiles are simply too easy to avoid in 3d space and as far as this so called spamyness thats all on the players not the game engine there's plenty of depth but remember this games bairly a month old

NO.......just NO.....3D just doesn't work for a fighting game like MK. The 2D in this game is not outdated at all, it's all in a 3D space. You are just limited to a 2D fighting plane, that's called 2.5D if I'm not mistaken. The Sound effects in this game have been praised by most reviews, yet you say their not very good? I think it's nearly unanimous that they are incredible. This is all subjective though, if you enjoy the 3D space fighters good for you. That just doesn't work well for an MK type fighter.

P.S. There is a timed combo breaker, it's actually called a breaker....learn to love it

The game itself is fantastic. I'm only disappointed in NRS. They don't tell the fans anything concrete. Some people call it "playing" around with fans; I call it lying, unprofessional and unwarranted. Capcom and Treyarch don't "play" around with fans, so why should NRS? Moreover, it's been over a month since MK's release, and they still haven't fixed the online lag issues. There's no excuse for that. NRS are amongst the most unprofessional development teams in gaming today.

I don't think that there is anything wrong with 2D fighting. You have to understand, MK was born out of 2D fighting. It works best when presented that way. Virtua Fighter is a totally different style. 3D works for that game, it's "meant" to be played that way.

The 2D style is certainly not outdated in any way. In fact, what NRS did with the engine is incredible. It brought the game back to life. I can think of at least one other major fighting game that doesn't believe 2D is dead either... ...

The game itself is fantastic. I'm only disappointed in NRS. They don't tell the fans anything concrete. Some people call it "playing" around with fans; I call it lying, unprofessional and unwarranted. Capcom and Treyarch don't "play" around with fans, so why should NRS? Moreover, it's been over a month since MK's release, and they still haven't fixed the online lag issues. There's no excuse for that. NRS are amongst the most unprofessional development teams in gaming today.

Haha no Treyarch just flat out lies to their community, not jokingly either. I know I used to be a part of it. I got sick of the lies they were feeding people, so I traded in Black Ops and will not buy another Treyarch game. Treyarch also can't create a game that's not buggy as hell, NRS can...

Hmmm lets see cant exactly fix online code when part of your user base doesn't have online access psn outage couldn't of had worse timing and last I checked capcom charged money for a character that was already on the game disk

Not sure why people feel the need to compare MK to other fighting games. MK isn't anything like other fighting games.

I know your just stating your opinion and its all subjective but I have to disagree with just about everything you said :p

MK9 is the best MK in the series

Tiny fighters? Maybe you need to upgrade to a larger TV?

There's nothing unfinished about this game. MK9 is one of the most complete fighting games ever.

If anything Tekken should remind you of MK. MK was the first fighting game to have juggle combos and it has always emphasized pokes.

Basically you can't deal with block strings and frame advantage and you wish you had an easy out. Breaker isn't good enough for you? If you only play this game online i can understand why this is a problem. If that's the case you need to play offline.

Obviously you are a big VF fan but MK9 is a different kind of game. MK has always been about pokes, projectiles, and juggle combos (although 3D MK's shifted away from this) so I'm kinda baffled why you want to turn it into something else. MK9 was always intended to be a return to the roots.

I think there's definitely a lot of depth with Enhanced moves, super armor, X-rays, wakeup attacks, fuzzy guard, safejumps, resets, kara cancels, etc etc. You just need to dig a little deeper.

Some advice:
If you are getting spammed by block strings you need to find a fast move or jump out or use an enhanced move with armor or use a counter. Some block strings can be ducked under.
If you are having problems with crossover jumpins try jabbing or crouch jabbing. Or meet them in the air with a jump kick. Or dash under.
Point is there are numerous ways out of any situation.
However if you are playing online the lag might make it impossible to counter spammers lol!

The fighters are tiny? C'mon dude!

Last edited:
This game has plenty of depth. I also enjoyed Deception, but in terms of depth and enjoyment, this game beats the 3d games on PS2 and Xbox hands down. I actually like how every character doesn't have a generic parry/ counter/ wake-up like in MKA. Or has the same inputs for parries in DOA. It makes the characters a lot more differentiated. There are no dial a combos in this game. Only short combo strings that can be cancelled. Combos generally require stricter timing than in the 3D MK games.

The old PS2 games relied too heavily on dial a combos. There was virtually no creativity in creating your own combos. You can't cancel into dashes or specials and using specials in combos to add damage or to help string together longer combos was virtually non-existent.

Switching between stances and weapons added nothing. It was just a gimmick that sounded cool on paper, but brought nothing new to the table. In practice, all you had to do was pop the character into the air and enter the pre-programmed multi-stance, dial-a-combo with little regard given to timing or thought. It made every character feel and play the same. There was little need in knowing anything about the other characters weaknesses and strengths. Who cares if they use a projectile, I can just side step them they're so slow.

Look at sub-zero for instance. You couldn't cancel out of a normal into a freeze...at best you can end a combo with a cold shoulder charge. You might be able to freeze them if you pop your oponent into the air, but what for? Damage scaling still counts so you might as well continue with normals...or a shoulder charge. Rinse and repeat. How creative.

In MK9, the x-rays and enhanced specials which have different properties for each character add another layer of depth to the differentiated cast where you have characters that are excellent at zoning, anti-zoning, rushing and characters who have a good mixed, or balanced style.

You can't compare this to VF as well. While I love VF, it is a completely different game to MK. You seem to be equating the level of depth with the amount of dimensions the game is played which is just flat out ridiculous. Play SF3 and 4, it's a lot more difficult and has a lot more depth than fighters that take place on a 3D plane. Whether you like them or not is your own opinion, but to say they are casual fighting games is a complete joke. If anything, I think fighters that take place on a 3d plane are generally simpler and/ or slower...a lot slower than 2d games.

Also, if you face someone who just jump punches into a combo. Ducking and a well timed uppercut will sort those guys out. 90% of the time their first and second ground attacks hit high and can't hit you. There are a number of ways to get out of that situation....figure them out.

Last edited:
Everyone has there own opinion and I respect that but I have to disagree with everything the OP said. I like Tekken but it is nothing like MK, This is the Best MK to date followed by MK2, MK3 Ultimate/Trilogy, Mk1. Deception is the best of the 3D MK's IMO I will give you that but doesnt hold a candle to any of the 2D MK's. You say the fighters are small I say they are the largest of any MK game yet. Virtua Fighter is one of my least favorite fighting games of all time and in no way compares to MK. The Music and Sound effects in MK9 are incredible if you ask me I think NRS did an amazing job mixing some old school MK tunes in with newer stuff. As far as I am concerned MK9 is a MASTERPIECE. Question for the OP, did you ever play the original 2D MK's and did you enjoy them?

Not sure why people feel the need to compare MK to other fighting games. MK isn't anything like other fighting games.
I'm interested in game design so I think comparison is really important when deciding what sorts of features work and don't work. It's also a fun mental exercise thinking about how different gameplay systems would work together.

The Tekken comparison is valid however. Both games emphasize pokes and juggle combos. But I get annoyed when people say MK is like Tekken when its actually the other way around :p

It really feels like you just need to practice the game more, the bottom half of your post sounds like you're just depressed over failing at blocking and punishing

Last edited:
Well dont play the game anymore if your that dissapointed with it and the rest of us will enjoy the 60+ dollars spent on this wonderful game

Last edited:
I know everyone has their own opinion and I respect that, but I disagree with everything that one foo posted.
1. he is way to big of a fan boy of VF
2. it takes time to master combos...practice practice practice. Utilize the training mode
3. characters and the backgrounds look fantastic and don't get what's so bad about it or what is missing.
The list can go on forever,but if you don't like the game, then don't play it at all. The game can be as perfect as it can be and you still will get those that will cry about it.

Treyarch also can't create a game that's not buggy as hell, NRS can...

That remains to be seen. We are still waiting for the full patch, in order to correct the online lag issues.

last I checked capcom charged money for a character that was already on the game disk

It's called business, and it has worked effectively for Capcom. Come back in two weeks, and see if you get Skarlet for free.

It's called business, and it has worked effectively for Capcom. Come back in two weeks, and see if you get Skarlet for free.

That's not the point, Capcom charged for characters that were already made and on the disk. You basically paid to unlock something already made. Skarlet is not on disk. Only her basic model that acts as a placeholder is.