top tier making the game no fun for average joe?

magnumta

take the following scenario. player 1 vs player 2. both players pick there favorite toons which are not (easy to play) characters. both characters require skill to win. after player 1 beats player 2 so many times, player 2 decides to pick a top tier char. (rayden, kung lao). all of a sudden, player 2 which has lost several games before, starts to win some games because of the power and easy to use top tier char. now i know alot of people will give various answers to why those 2 can be beat, but i've noticed that when i see explanations on how to beat those 2, it's a WAY higher level than a average player can do. ive noticed sinced playing online since the 1st week, this happens over and over. so is it fair to have a more skillful guy lose to a char. just because its easier to use? is that "fun" to anyone to see your work go down the drain because the other guy has to know 4 super moves? has this happened to anyone else out there?

Last edited:
Well seeing as no tier list is accurate currently. I say anyone can beat anyone aside from Baraka being a complete joke.

magnumta said:
and easy to use top tier char.
lol. Being godtier doesn't mean easy to use.

Shang Tsung, Reptile, Kitana and Sub-Zero are S/A tier and they're among the hardest characters to use (effectively) and master.

Alright let me give you a quick SSF4 tier list example (not AE). Dhalsim is considered A tier because he has advantage vs a lot of characters but still has 11 bad (very bad) matchups. Adon is only mid tier but he's still is considered tourney viable because all his matchups are 5-5 meaning they can go either way. See where I'm going with this? So is Dhalsim better than Adon just because he's in a higher tier? No. Of course not. Not by a long shot.

Justin Wong beat Air (top Ryu player) with Dan. Proving that any character can win in the right hands, especially if you know your matchups or if your opponent doesn't know how to deal with your character or playstyle.

Last edited:
i think everone might be missing the point. i guess im saying that why should there be ANY tier what so ever? (and we all know that some toons are stronger than others) should a player be FORCED into picking certain characters? i know every one can beat anyone else at any time, but the point is skill should matter, and a less skilled player should'nt be granted any "free rides", which they are with a more higher % wins type character.

I don't understand where you are coming from. I don't think any character gives someone a better chance at winning.

Only fighting game in history where every character was 100% balanced was karate champ its only natural certain characters will be easier to use then others and average Joe doesn't know what a tier list is all he knows is who's easiest to control does it suck losing just because of bad match ups sure but it also forces you to get better

Tiers don't even matter that much anyway.

At the end of the day, the better (most prepared and focus) player will always win. Alex Valle just proved that earlier today by whooping KrazieBone's Cyber Sub with Shang Tsung (which is supposed to be an almost 10-0 matchup for CSZ btw). Alex Valle just knew how to deal with Cyber Sub so he made the tier list lie.

There's plenty of examples like that (e.g. Daigo losing to Hakan and Fuerte players).

tierlists are only viable for the players that have completely maxed out their skillset and master the characters. Anyone can beat anyone but a tier list is a way of organizing it for the master players so they can see their matchups so they have a better percentage of winning. ex: godplayer 1 uses kung lao godplayer 2 uses Baraka, the actual players are at equal skillset at the game but the matchup (baracks too slow for Lao) will more then likely prove the winner. If that makes any sense

i did'nt say ALL top tier characters are easy to use. i was talking about those charecters that are. i was talking about those chars. that basicly have 4 easy to use moves that will destroy you if you make 3 or 4 mistakes and you die. in other words, moves that are just too powerful and make the more skilled guy lose based on that fact.

I don't play in competitive tourneys or anything, mostly just with my friends and college roommates before summer kicked in. I'm an alright player. My friend's favorite character was Smoke (widely regarded as an extremely n00b-friendly character) and I beat him both times he used Smoke one night. I beat him with Quan Chi once and then with Kabal the other time. When playing a lot of games with friends I pick a wide variety of characters and win with them all at different times. I lost with Nightwolf against my friend who loves Jax, I simply don't know Nightwolf well enough to win consistently lol. Tier lists don't make the world go round.

Stop complainging about tiers!!!! Lets play everyone with baraka and sheeva, the lowest tier, im sure the online will be full of fun...... ¬¬
Baraka can beat the best Smoke if you are skilled enough, people needs to go in training mode and stop complaint...

Last edited:
i made the biggest mistake of my life when i put tier list in my post. what a bad choice of words. and everybody has completely missed the point of my topic except 2 guys. my mistake. sorry everybody

i made the biggest mistake of my life when i put tier list in my post. what a bad choice of words. and everybody has completely missed the point of my topic except 2 guys. my mistake. sorry everybody

My experience has been to just keep playing. Enjoy the character(s) you like and play as them. Eventually you'll get the hang of them. If your buddy is using Kung Lao once or twice to snap his losing streaks and you're using (random example) Mileena a s--t ton of the time, you're going to figure her out better than he will and give yourself a better chance to win. If you play better than him/her then your chance to win will be higher, regardless of who you fight as.