Kung Lao Thread - "For the Shaolin!"

Yes you do. You always jump to cyrax's defense on resets.

He's not easy. Until you learn to beat top level players with Kung Lao. You'll learn soon enough it's not execution that makes a character easier to win with it's tools.

Kung Lao is a really strong character not gonna lie. But it's not easy to pick up at high level. All the crap you need to be able to do understand isn't a walk in the park.
No character is.

You whine about something that shouldnt be a factor at high level. And that's ease of execution

Yes you do. You always jump to cyrax's defense on resets.

He's not easy. Until you learn to beat top level players with Kung Lao. You'll learn soon enough it's not execution that makes a character easier to win with it's tools.

Kung Lao is a really strong character not gonna lie. But it's not easy to pick up at high level. All the crap you need to be able to do understand isn't a walk in the park.
No character is.

You whine about something that shouldnt be a factor at high level. And that's ease of execution
Thats
a fair point. Resets should not be in the game IMO. I have read what you have said and learned from it in one of the responses. I always got the impression you were trying to be arrogant or pompous, but it looks like your trying to help folk really.

Kung Lao has tools for every situation, that means you've got a way to make him do what you want in every situation. You can bait his counter zoning, certain characters can bait his anti airs, you can bait his reversals ect you've got more to work with against the character. You know you're at roll range? backdash incase he rolls and if he does d4 it on reaction to get the advantage. Because he is also a jack of all trades, if your character is a character that has strong tools in a particular playstyle then your gonna out do him at that. I guess the goal to beating KL is not letting him control the pace of the match. I don't fight many KLs really, I haven't fought one for about 2 weeks.

As its stands from TYM (for people that pay attention to match up charts from top players ) kung Lao is a S tier character but he does have some even match ups at the highest level 5-5 Kenshi being one Kabal being another obviously any character can beat another but this is based on tournament play but for me Mileena is the best answer to kung lao. That's because I understand the match up best using her (even though i heard the match ups in Lao's favor) I've beaten many really good kung lao players using her and even those times that I do lose to him its normally 5-5 match up for me if lag isn't involved. The only real problem I have with lao is his EX teleport all I can do is try to escape it. My answer for it at the moment is a roll to get away but as far as I know there is no way to punish it.

He has a bunch of even matchups. As a jade player I'd even say it's pretty close to 5-5 in that matchup.

But what my point is what makes him hard to play is properly applying his tools at a high level.

Immortal Reaver talks about kabal being hard to play as if it's ok for a character to be OP as long as he's really difficult to play. Bo the goal should be to make everyone even regardless of technical prowess.

At high level of you lost to a pre-patch kab jail infinite, Would you be like good job man thats really hard to do.
No because the higher you go the less the fingers matter and the more your brain and how it thinks and how you respond and react matter more.

And the way you must play him to beat the best. Is hard.

Thats
a fair point. Resets should not be in the game IMO. I have read what you have said and learned from it in one of the responses. I always got the impression you were trying to be arrogant or pompous, but it looks like your trying to help folk really.

Lol, thanks for the honesty. I might come off that way when I really feel like the person I'm debating is really wrong or the perception is extremely off.

In this case I think his perception is off.

At the bare naked beginning stages of learning the game. Noob saibot vs johnny cage seems unfair for JC. All you gotta do is spam projectiles right? JC has to work hard to get in. Atleast in the eyes of noobs. So someone with immortals mindset would think wow, noob is so easy to play. Anyone can pick Jim up and beat JC easily.

But once you dwell deeper into the mechanics you learn this to be
Not so true.

I'm not trying to play kung Lao off as a technical character, Marth in ssbm isn't technical either. But Marth the way he must be playe is extremely tough to be good at. Same goes for kung Lao.

Last edited: