Kung Lao Thread - "For the Shaolin!"

VictorMefer

Kung Lao
~ For the Shaolin! ~

kunglao.png

Kung Lao is a shaolin monk, friend of Liu Kang, and uses a hat with a hazor-sharped blade as weapon. He's a really fast character, with many tools for rushdown and countering.​

Moves:
Spoiler:

Notations:
Spoiler:
1 = Front Punch
2 = Back Punch
3 = Front Kick
4 = Back Kick
BLK = Block Button
DC = Dash Cancel
EX = Enhanced Version
NJ = Neutral Jump - Jump up
-x? = Do Attack ? number of times

Normal Combos:
Spoiler:
Windy Palm: 1, 1, 2, 1 - Although most of his strings can be canceled into the spin for a combo, this will probably be your bread and butter. Can be canceled into spin for combos after the first, second and third hits, and into ground hat for blockstring mixups after any hit. Tag combo after the third hit;
Healing Wind: B+1, F+1 - Good damage and can be canceled into spin in the middle of the last input, but has slow startup;
Chained Fist 2, 1, 2, 1, 2 (must be pressed rapidly) - Fast string, can be canceled into spin for combos, and is also a tag combo. Worth pointing out, I might have found a secret variation, not listed on the move list, at least not on my game: 2, 1, 2, 1, 2, 1+2 or at least I believe that's it, I just mash the buttons. The last hit is an overhead;
Iron Broom: 2, 4, 1+2 - Good for mixups: 4 is a low, and 1+2 is overhead. Tag combo after second hit;
Leg Bar: 2, 4, 1+3 - Last hit is a throw, and will only be pulled of if the attack before hits. If opponent is blocking high, 4 will hit them and the throw will connect;
Uprooting Step: 2, 4, 1+3, 4 - More damage, switch positions;
Plum Flower: 2, 4, 1+3, 2 - Even more damage, but timing is tight. Actually I don't even know the exact timing, I just mash the button until I pull it off;
Lead The Way: B+3, 3, 3 - Also good for mixup, since the first hit is low and the second hit can be cancelled into spin for combos.

Special Moves:
Spoiler:
Hat Toss: B, F, 1 - The hat can be controlled with the directionals up and down. EX version deals more damage and can be used to extend combos;
Ground Hat: D, B, 2 - Low projectile, good for mixups in blockstrings. EX version, the hat ricochets and goes upwards, and can be delayed by holding 2 and controlles with the directionals up and down;
Spin: D, F, 1 - Really fast, juggle starter, fast tag, high priority, can be used as anti air, and good wake up attack. Yeah, it can be a pain in the ass for other players. EX version deals more damage and travels a bit forward;
Dive Kick: D + 4 (while in the air) - Fast air attack, but unsafe on block. EX version adds more hits;
Teleport: D, U (can be done in the air) - Good escape move, can be followed by some options: 1 (throw), 2 (overhead launcher), 3 (combo starter kick) or 4 (knockdown kick). EX version teleports twice and has super armor;
X-Ray: Base damage: 31%; can be comboed into and out of, anti air, but not very good range.

Tatics:
Spoiler:
Vs. Spammers, Zoners and Keepaways: Teleport is a good option, you can use the throw or the 3 kick to start a combo. If you see a projectile coming, you can also jump it and use the dive kick.

Vs. Teleport Spammers: Block and punish with a combo, which can be easily started with a spin.

Anti Air Tatics: Spin is very efficient, since it's fast and has high priority, beating jump kicks. If the opponent jumps backwards and you think fast enough, punish with a dive kick. EX ground hat can also work as anti air.

Mixup Game: Kung Lao's ground hat allows some good low mixups, if the opponent is blocking high. Also, in his 2 4 1+3 string, the 4 is a low as well, and if the opponent does not block this low kick, the throw in the end will catch him.
Kung Lao's overheads, besides the generic neutral jump punch, are F+2 (good damage, but slow startup and slow recovery), 2 4 1+2 (good mixup if the opponent is blocking low expecting the low kick to throw) and teleport + 2 (good if the opponent ducks expecting a throw or a kick).

Combos:
Spoiler:
Meterless Combos
8 hits 32%: 1, 1, 2, spin - jump kick, dive kick - F+3, spin
11 hits 37%: 1, 1, 2, spin - jump kick, dive kick - DC~1, DC~2, 4, 1+3~2

Corner Combos
8 hits 38%: Jump kick, dive kick - 1, spin - jump kick, dive kick - D+4, spin
8 hits 48%: Spin - jump kick, dive kick - back jump kick, dive kick - back jump kick, dive kick - D+2

Enhanced Combos
10 hits 37%: 1 1 2, spin - 2, EX hat toss - 2, 4, 1+3~2
(^^ In this combo, you can add a 1 - dash just after the EX hat. The damage is the same, but the timing might be easier (it is for me), and, if you miss the ~2 during the throw, the damage will be 1% higher with the 1 added)
10 hits 40%: 1 1 2, spin - 2, EX hat toss - jump kick, dive kick - F+3, spin
13 hits 44%: 1, 1, 2, spin - jump kick, dive kick - DC~1, EX hat toss - dash, 1 - DC~2, 4, 1+3~2

Corner Combos
12 hits 49%: 1, 1, 2, spin - NJ punch - jump kick, dive kick - 1, EX hat toss - jump kick, dive kick - D+2
10 hits 53%: Spin - jump kick, dive kick - back jump kick, dive kick - back jump kick, EX dive kick - D+2

X-Ray Combos
11 hits 45%: 1, 1, 2, spin - 2, X-Ray - F+3, spin
15 hits 56%: 1, 1, 2, spin - jump kick, dive kick - F+3, X-Ray - DC~2, 4, 1+3~2

Corner Combos
13 hits 60%: Jump kick, dive kick - 2, spin - jump kick, dive kick - 2, spin - X-Ray - F+3
15 hits 70%: Spin - jump kick, dive kick - back jump kick, dive kick - back jump kick, dive kick - X-Ray - DC~2, 4, 1+3~2

Note: Most of these combos that begin with 1, 1, 2, spin can also begin with a jump punch, 1, 1, 2, spin, a teleport+3, 1, 1, 2, spin, just the spin or one of the strings below followed by a spin:
- B+1, F+1 (last input hits twice, cancel into spin just before the last one - it's easier than it sounds)
- 2, 4
- B+3, 3
- 2, 1, 2, 1, 2 (spin must be input quickly)

Blockstrings:
Spoiler:
- 1, 1, 2, 1 (and segments) followed by a throw
- 1, 1, 2, 1 (and segments) followed by ground hat (for those who don't block low)
- 2, 4, 1+2 (if 4, which is a low, is blocked, the 1+2, which is an overhead, will probably hit)
- 2, 4, 1+3 (for those who don't block low, the 4 will hit them and the throw will connect)

Videos:
Spoiler:

Last edited:
Reserved for later use.

I tried to make this the best possible. I'm not a high level player, so you guys gotta help me keep this thread updated and with all the info needed. This thread is, after all, for every Kung Lao player.

Oh yeah... it's Kung Lao... bring on the hate!

He is my main atm. I train with him every day but I couldn't play at my best with him online. The delay really hurts him.

Thread is off to a good start.

No one has anything to say about Kung Lao, huh?

I'm having a bit of trouble getting his EX Teleport. Maybe it's the crappy R2 button on my controller because so far it has been very unreliable for me. Sometimes the input doesn't work and I end up with the regular one. What's up with that?

Also, what BnB's are you guys using and what is your strategy going into a game with Kung Lao?

You might want to put that his Ex ground hat can be held with 2(y) or (triangle) and controlled to hit higher or lower with the Pad/joystick. You can still move around and attack while his Ex ground hat is stuck in the ground. Dunno if this was on this thread or not, didnt see it

You might want to put that his Ex ground hat can be held with 2(y) or (triangle) and controlled to hit higher or lower with the Pad/joystick. You can still move around and attack while his Ex ground hat is stuck in the ground. Dunno if this was on this thread or not, didnt see it

Oh yeah, I knew about that but forgot to put it there, thanks for reminding me about it. Gonna put it tomorrow, have to sleep now.

Has anyone noticed Kung Lao's been nerfed? His damage power is much lower this time. I had some pretty good combos with his x-ray that now damages 45% at best really, Kung Lao's still top-tier material though. Curiously, Ermac hasn't been nerfed, has he?

Yes, they toned down his damage. He definitely needed a nerf on his wall combos but I think they were a bit too harsh on his midscreens. You can barely do 30% midscreen now. You either need to use meter or start with teleport+3 to go that high...

Hey there
could anyone update the damage of the Combos for him?
the nerv was pretty hard, maybe a bit too hard.

And I have some questions

if you hit with (EX) b f 2
what do you connect? I tried to teleport 2 or Teleport 3 and a combo afterwards but the damge is very low for this combo. And I'm not exactly sure if it works (I set comp on auto block but... )

Sometimes I got problems with correct input, usually I start with 1 1 spin not 1 1 2 spin. It often fails. Furthermore after spin kick, dive kick and sometimes my f+3 spin misses but I don't know why.

Oh and a big problem is, in the past I used f+3 spin after the X-Ray but I noticed that 2 4 1+3(~2) do more damage but it often misses because the enemy in the air for different periods of time. Any suggestions?
btw. you trigger the ~2, don't you?

(as you expect, english is not my native language)

Kung Lao Is Bug BUG !!! He spins & jade hit him with stick !!! & jade hurts HA HA HA !!! maybe stick glued to jade hands or kung lao spins so fast that ... oh stupid !!!
jade or kratos with blades must kick kung lao ass !!!