Tips for Newer Players

Demetrius

I haven't seen a thread like this, so I figured I would make one. Basically, just give out some advice that might not be quite so apparent to a newer player.

1) Do NOT Jump AWAY from Projectiles. If you do, you are just keeping yourself in it's effective area and are most likely still going to get hit. Block it, jump straight up, or jump over it. This is especially important against Noob Saibot; his X-ray comes from the back of the screen, and most people I see try to jump toward me to get away from it, only to land directly in front of it and getting hit by it. In this case, you have to jump to the BACK of the Screen.

2) Learn to Block! This game may be built on Kombos, and sure, Kombos are more impressive, but Defense is also key. Besides that, Blocking is the same for every character; you learn to block effectively with Scorpion, you'll be able to block effectively with Johnny Cage. Online especially, being able to block is much more important than Kombos, right off the bat when your starting out.

very useful couple of tips. i have one, it helped me when i first got the game.

3) learn the BnB (bread and butter) combos! This may seem obvious to some, but it wasnt for me when i was first trying to learn combos. spending your time learning these few basic combos that are not that big will help greatly as they often are used to branch into more advanced combos, or thru the use of specials can become connected for bigger combos. learning these smaller combos made it MUCH easier for me to later build on that base and make longer more advanced combos, rather then just jumping into those big combos right away. it also helps build muscle memory

Don't be to predictable would be my best advise any good player will read any pattern that's constantly repeated and punish you hard for it

Don't just rush in firing off all your special moves 1 after another..

I've beaten some players by just sitting back and waiting for them to attack (and to whiff moves) then i go for the opening..

patience, timing, anticipation will help you lots...

4. LEARN TO LOSE.
dont say it's cheap or broken cuse you lost spammers get theirs dont worry.

5. DONT CRY WOLF
by this i mean dont talk a big game but get your ass kicked talk big if your game is as big as your words. and then call foul when you lose

6. LEARN TO READ UR OPPONENT
this will help you combat spammers or zoners as they've been called as of late. it also help you learn to block inbetween long combos with out a braker.

Last edited:
Going into practice to learn special moves for players that you don't even WANT to play with helps too--at least it's been helping me. Then you know what's coming by the way the other player is moving around. For example I know that if I'm fighting a scorpion and I see him inch backward for no good reason then he's about to shoot his chain, or if he ducks first then he's probably going to teleport.

play with many different style players to feel more confident about your skills...My younger brother constantly beat me at MK9 but he suck when he play online against other people..he can use very effective combo on me and constantly attacking me but when he's online, he's constantly blocking even when he's against an opponent who's not even that good...i beat the same opponent who beat my younger brother because i feel confident with my skills even when i face different opponent...he only feel confident when he's facing me...