250px-BarakaMK9VS.jpg

NOTATION
1 = Square/X
2 = Triangle/Y
3 = X/A
4 = Circle/B
ToP = Tears of Pain
EK = Easy Kill
OW = Open Wounds (All uses in this guide are b+3, 1 only)
~ = Enhanced
* = Covered in further detail later

BASICS

Normals
Blade Swipe - B + 1 HIGH Decent speed, does not serve as good poke, punishable on block
Cross Swipe - B + 2 HIGH Slower than Blade Swipe, hittable from sweep, punishable on block or pokes
Gut Strike - F + 2 MEDIUM Somewhat slow, unsafe on block
Foot Stomp - B + 3 LOW Good for starting mixups, decent on block
Hop Kick - U + 3 HIGH "Launch"(low height), somewhat slow start up, but decent on block (pushes them back)
*Quick Knee - F + 4 HIGH Unsafe on block, no longer able to cancel into specials
Big Legs - U + 4 MEDIUM Hittable from sweep, very long recovery on whiff, you're best going w/ gut strike because it leads into much bigger damage.
Specials(All specials covered in detail later)
Blade Charge - D, F, 2 - HIGH Fast, moves about jump distance
Spark - D, B, 2 - HIGH Good to annoy opponents from afar, not the best in projectile wars though
Chop Chop - B, B, 1 HIGHx7 Good anti-air/rushdown, auto corrects, able to combo into Blade Charge
Blade Spin - D, B, 3 HIGHx2 Decent anti-air if you're looking for a jump out
Slices - D, F, 1 HIGHx4 Slow start, moves about sweep - jump distance

~Blade Rush - Has 1 hit armor, very fast, moves a little over jump distance
~Sparked - Causes slight stun, pretty good damage for a projectile
~Chopchop Shop - More hits, does NOT juggle
~Spinner - More hits, has armor on startup
~Slicer - Armor on start up, pops up in the corner

X- Ray - Does decent damage, has armor so it goes through projectiles, and one of the few x-rays that can be cancelled into by almost all chains.

Chain Combos
Tarkatan Rush - 1, 2, 1 HIGHx3
Painful Swipes - 1, 2, 2 HIGHx3
Tricky Fury - 1, 2, B+3 HIGHx2LOWx1
Cut 'Em Loose - B+1, 1 HIGHx2
Splinter - B+1, F+2 HIGHx2
Cold Steel - 2, 1, 2 HIGHx3
*Tears of Pain - 2, 2, 2+1 HIGHx2MEDx1HIGHx1
Tarkatan Push - B+2, F+2 HIGHx1MEDx1 Overhead possible from jump distance but can be risky
Horror Show - F+2, 4 HIGHx2
Outworld Bash - F+2, 2 MEDx1HIGHx1
Tarkatan Blows - 3, B+3 HIGHx1LOWx1
*Open Wound - B+3, 1, F+1 LOWx1HIGHx2
Easy Kill - B+3, 2, 2 LOWx1HIGHx2
Doom Kicks - F+4, 4 HIGHx2

Advanced Combos (I'm not adding fj.p to everything, I assume you know you have the option)

Spoiler:
BnB (Again, b+3, 1 only on OW)

ToP, dash, OW, dash, 4, Blade Charge - 3rd hit on ToP is an overhead and the # of hits can take the opponent by surprise causing them to drop their block.
OW, dash, OW, dash, 4, Blade Charge - A third OW is possible, but I find it very unreliable and whiffing it will get you punished.
F+2, Chop Chop Blades, dash, 4, Blade Charge - Quick way to punish a squatter, does a pretty decent amount of damage also.

Corner

OWx4, B+1, 1, (Insert Special) - Extremely vicious in the corner, can be hard to land so many OW's online but it's totally worth it. Possible to do more OW but I find after 4 the timing can get a little off causing you to drop it (or maybe that's just me). I think the confidence in only 4 more than makes up for the extra damage, but do what works for you.
ToP, OWx4, B+1, 1, (Insert Special) - Kind of the same as above but ToP has an overhead in it for ducking opponents.

Resets (Mashing opponents can break the reset)

ToP, dash, F+4 (Reset) OW, dash, OW, dash, (Insert Special) - Be careful of this reset for it's punishable by mash out, just read your opponent, if he's been mashing out, just finish normal bnb.
ToP, dash, F+4, (Reset) Throw - Pretty much same as above, mixup option.
ToP, dash, F+4, (Reset) B+2, F+2 - Same w/ overhead, somewhat slow but you do NOT have to dash to make this work because 2nd chain covers from about jump distance.
OW, dash, OW, dash, F+4 (Reset) mixup - Same, but starts low instead of using ToP to force reset.

X - Ray

ToP, dash, OW, dash, D+4, X-Ray - The D+4 isn't necessary and doesn't add to damage (gets scaled out) but it DOES, however, hit confirm into X-Ray so you don't do it too fast and maximize damage.
OW, dash, OW, X-Ray - Hit confirm isn't necessary, you can't miss X after 2nd OW
F+2, Chop Chop Blades, dash, D+4, X-Ray - Again, you CAN land X w/o D+4 but it's much safer to hit confirm so you do not waste your entire meter on a whiff.
(Corner)OWx4, B+1, 1, X-Ray - As before, more OW is possible, gets unreliabe though. With about 6 OWs then X, this can do 56% damage
(Corner)ToP, OWx4, B+1, 1, X-Ray - May be good to start w/ this one on occasion as it has an overhead in ToP allowing you to get your OW off.

Last edited:
I'm interested to see how this thread will evolve, as Baraka tends to be seen as a very limited and generally bad character in the game. Maybe the Baraka players here (if there are any) will be able to show the rest of us what he's working with.

After tomorrow, Baraka will be able to juggle of his blade spin or was it his chop chop...one of those.

I'm interested to see how this thread will evolve, as Baraka tends to be seen as a very limited and generally bad character in the game. Maybe the Baraka players here (if there are any) will be able to show the rest of us what he's working with.

I feel I have a pretty decent Baraka but there are def some 1 sided matchups for him

Maining Baraka was fun until every tom, dick, and harry started
tier whoring. It will be interesting to see how much of an affect
the juggle state buff will have though. I may use him as an alt.

Last night Tom Brady confirmed a juggle state will be added to his Slices special along w/ possible damage increase :) That's why I have to wait to finish the thread really, could be a game changer to some of my strategies

Really? That's cool. As Baraka is a good character but he has so few juggle options..

Last night Tom Brady confirmed a juggle state will be added to his Slices special along w/ possible damage increase :) That's why I have to wait to finish the thread really, could be a game changer to some of my strategies

SAWEEET ROLL FOR FIMION!

Here is a basic little Combo for Baraka:

Back 3, 2, Chop Chop Blades. Does (I beleive) 18% Damage, starts low, and hits from Sweeping Distance.

Also, I can Confirm that Chop Chop trumps Sub Zero's Slide, and I would assume Reptiles, too.

Yeah, I'm down. Notorious_JIZ

Hmm. Okay. I'll be online tonight-ish and I'll add you. Hopefully we can get in a match tonight.

SAWEEET ROLL FOR FIMION!

Here is a basic little Combo for Baraka:

Back 3, 2, Chop Chop Blades. Does (I beleive) 18% Damage, starts low, and hits from Sweeping Distance.

Also, I can Confirm that Chop Chop trumps Sub Zero's Slide, and I would assume Reptiles, too.

Yea I like the mixup combos, I'm going to assume everyone knows you can cancel into special move on any hit but last haha. I prefer using slices because it puts them at a safe distance but still able to keep the pressure via a dash
Ya, def sub & rep's slides, I don't think it's fast enough for reps elbow though.

Very good. I made a possible corner combo with him I just thought on the fly.

(Corner) 2, 2, 1+2, B+3, 1, Blade Spin - 8 Hits 23%
(Corner) 2, 2, 1+2, B+3, 1, Enhanced Blade Spin - 10 Hits 25%
(Corner) 2, 2, 1+2, B+3, 1, F+4, X-Ray - 11 Hits 42%

Good look on the combos, the X-Ray one is one I use, you can do it in open space (I'm sure you'll be able to extend it w/ slices soon) and I'll take the corner combo into the lab, though I'm hoping to get one more damaging, I've seen a few but I can't get the hop kicks & low 3 in like they do but I'm working on it. I'm not too great in the corner so any corner pressure tips in general would be great