Kitana Thread - "You'll Learn Respect!"

I use Kitana all the time online, with her being the only character I feel I'm decent with. Combo's aren't a problem for me, I've got a fair few down. My problem is finding openings to start the combo, the best I've come up with so far is to dash and then use the f2, 1 start up or f4, 1. Once I start playing people that can block effectively, thats when it gets a bit difficult, I mean where do you find the openings for the combo? She doesn't have ANY mix up combos (virtually no low attacks at all aside from the generic sweep), she also has no over-heads that can be performed from one button press.

I do enjoy playing as her though, she was the only character I picked and clicked with straight away, aside from Scorpion but mashing 2 is no way to play a game :p

@DaFunk

when i try 2 find an opening i squarewave 2 opposite end of opponent & sweep, i sweep maybe 3 times before they start blocking low & then i do (Forward+Circle, Square) it bounces them up & u can do a charged fan combo or the charged fan cancel 4 a longer combo.

Thanks Outworld! this is the kind of stuff I need to learn, I tend not to think too much about strategy but eventually this will change. Thanks again.

@DaFunk

when i try 2 find an opening i squarewave 2 opposite end of opponent & sweep, i sweep maybe 3 times before they start blocking low & then i do (Forward+Circle, Square) it bounces them up & u can do a charged fan combo or the charged fan cancel 4 a longer combo.

what is circle and square on xbox :p ??

I love Kitana's look (masked and Klassic) and would love to play her since I have her MK3 Kostume. However she just feels so..stiff to me. Like Mileena, none of her animations or combos feel fluid to me. Can anyone give tips on how to get over this?

what is circle and square on xbox :p ??

By the context I'm sure it's F+4, 1 (or F+B, X) which ends with an overhead and bounces them just enough to combo afterwards.

I love Kitana's look (masked and Klassic) and would love to play her since I have her MK3 Kostume. However she just feels so..stiff to me. Like Mileena, none of her animations or combos feel fluid to me. Can anyone give tips on how to get over this?

I'm not sure what to say to that, but if you spend enough time with her she'll seem anything but non-fluid. Her combo potential is obscene, really. I spent hours with her in practice mode the night I got the game, but then again, I'm a Kitana fan, so I was pretty determined.

like i posted in another thread:

to be honest...i was expecting kitana's hair 2 look like this before she was revealed

image_medium.jpg

Thanks Outworld! this is the kind of stuff I need to learn, I tend not to think too much about strategy but eventually this will change. Thanks again.

np, just ask if u have any "kitana kuestions" hehe im the kitana expert ;)

Once I get my xbox back, I'll have to try and learn some of these kombos.
Side note:
I'm view number 2000...

...I want cake

I have a problem where when i do fan toss i'm ussually far away from the opponent and if i want to start a combo or at least go on the offensive i have to close in on the opponent which is hard for me. Square air boost is not a very secure way of doing it because they will just uppercut me, so do you guys have any suggestions as to how to reduce the distance between the opponent and Me?

Dashing is the way forward, Exemery. Kitana will cover a lot of ground with a couple of dashes and you can also dash block your way along which is the safest option, the only other thing I can suggest is jumping but obviously that leaves you wide open.

I'm not really sure there's any other option.

I started to give up on Kitana, but I think I will continue to main her. I don't practice enough and I suck at combos. :[

Titties, if you don't mind me saying; that may be a very good choice (to give up on Kitty). To me, her strings feel slightly inorganic and just don't mesh well. You may just have to find someone that flows with you.

I LOVE Kitana as a character, everything about her story and personality. But she just doesn't handle well in my hands (and maybe yours). I ended up picking other mains (Reptile, Smoke, Mileena, Liu Kang, Cyrax, Kabal, etc). I think you should broaden your horizons and maybe look for someone that feels perfect in your hands.

A Friend,

Titties, if you don't mind me saying; that may be a very good choice (to give up on Kitty). To me, her strings feel slightly inorganic and just don't mesh well. You may just have to find someone that flows with you.

I LOVE Kitana as a character, everything about her story and personality. But she just doesn't handle well in my hands (and maybe yours). I ended up picking other mains (Reptile, Smoke, Mileena, Liu Kang, Cyrax, Kabal, etc). I think you should broaden your horizons and maybe look for someone that feels perfect in your hands.

A Friend,
I feel the same a Kitana. I find that sometimes she won't do her Forward+2, 1 pop up move, or she won't throw a Fan after her Back+2, even if I input them correctly. Supposedly she's a A+ tier, "beginner friendly" character. But I just feel she's too stiff to a beginner character. And yes, I do remember Ed Boon saying that Kitana is supposed to be accessible, but I just don't see it. Same thing with Jade really. I just find the combos both on Zephna's guide and the strategy guide, just too hard for me to do.

I started to give up on Kitana, but I think I will continue to main her. I don't practice enough and I suck at combos. :[

i felt the same way @ 1st but then i started doing alot more combos & she became very fluid. try jae out maybe ur a ranged fighter :)

@Titties - I'm glad to hear you're expanding your horizons on who you choose to main. Anytime you're online on PSN, shoot me a message and we will do some constructive sparring. Hit me up!

@REPTILE - Glad to hear I'm not the only one who felt a little out of place trying to main Kitty. Guess her and I weren't meant to be in MK9. ):

@Titties - I'm glad to hear you're expanding your horizons on who you choose to main. Anytime you're online on PSN, shoot me a message and we will do some constructive sparring. Hit me up!

@REPTILE - Glad to hear I'm not the only one who felt a little out of place trying to main Kitty. Guess her and I weren't meant to be in MK9. ):
I remember you saying saying that Mileena was stiff as well. I'm not exactly sure what you mean by that. Maybe it's because I played as her longer than you? I find her combos "flow" naturally into each other in her juggles. Her juggles mainly consist of finding creative ways of stringing together her pop-up combos/moves. Maybe you had a different experience than me? Anyway, I'm glad your going to try and main Mileena, she could use another devoted fan online ;).

I remember you saying saying that Mileena was stiff as well. I'm not exactly sure what you mean by that. Maybe it's because I played as her longer than you? I find her combos "flow" naturally into each other in her juggles. Her juggles mainly consist of finding creative ways of stringing together her pop-up combos/moves. Maybe you had a different experience than me? Anyway, I'm glad your going to try and main Mileena, she could use another devoted fan online ;).

Nah it's not that. I've been toying with Mil since the demo. Like others have said, her strings just have a slight delay to them that make her playstyle feel slightly inorganic. It was also a shocking transition from the fluidity that her moveset possessed in Deception. Nevertheless I like her, and I'm determined to master her.