Choice of story progression

Marto

Hey guys,

What would your preference be on where they take the Mortal Kombat story?
Would you prefer characters that die, to remain dead (highly unlikely as previously seen) or would you prefer them to come back?
Also, do you want the story line to include the new characters/realms introduced from MK4 onwards, or start afresh with new characters?

My personal preference:
Id rather see character stay dead then return, I know it probably wont happen and i know ill probably hate it if one of my favs die, but it does make more sense storywise.

In regards to 'MK4 onward' characters/realms, although there werent too many i liked, there were enough i did enjoy that i would love to see them 'revived' for another take on their story line.

New characters would still have a place in any future story too.

How about if they died, but remained on the roster for regular arcade and 1v1/tag team etc. modes? I'd be really really cool with that, and it'd help with the validity of the story greatly! So everyone that had died before will still be on the roster with a new cool costume regardless.

How about if they died, but remained on the roster for regular arcade and 1v1/tag team etc. modes? I'd be really really cool with that, and it'd help with the validity of the story greatly! So everyone that had died before will still be on the roster with a new cool costume regardless.

I agree with this! Personally, if someone dies in story mode, i want him to stay dead (a few exceptions are acceptable). The death of a protagonist should be a big deal, but it simply ain't, when you know that he'll be resurrected in the next game.

I agree with this. As long as the "dead" characters are playable in the actual game, then I am happy. Besides, allowing "new" characters to be mostly in the story will allow players to get some quality playtime with them.

I suppose that if i character i love does die, then itll make me have to try out other characters.

Even though i do play with every character, i never delve deep enough into their fighting style to see if the suit me. I think i have the set few characters i love and ill be stubborn enough to play with them over and over till i make their fighting style suit me. As you can tell im set in my ways lol, sorry, bad habit.
(gone are the days when my fighting style for MKII was spamming special moves because i had no idea about any combos lol)

Your right about the deaths not being such a big deal when you know theyll come back next time. I think i just worry that theyll kill off a character (only in story mode) then next game replace them with a crappy new character.
However, i have been proven wrong in the past with characters ive hated becoming a favourite of mine.

MK is 20 odd years old now, so some of these characters are like 'ambassadors' for the game, but new generations are coming through and deaths within the story (most of which) should be a permanant thing and not constantly revived.

Both. I definitely want new characters to be introduced so that MK can keep moving forward. But I don't want future installments to be overloaded with a crappy batch of "new" characters ala Deadly Alliance and Deception. Also, keep the klassic characters. They could switch up how much emphasis is put on the established characters' stories in each story; for example, Sub-Zero may be more prominent in MK10's story, and then in MK11, Smoke might be more an important character.

I would also like for some MK4 and Deception characters with potential to be given the Stryker/Nightwolf treatments and be more fully fleshed out. Characters like Reiko, Tanya, Ashrah, Fujin (he is already pretty well-liked), Kai, Li Mei and Havik (see Fujin) can be revamped and become what most of the MK3 characters are now; characters who weren't given enough attention in the past but are now great because more attention was indeed given to them. But there aren't many post-Trilogy characters that have potential and most of them just need to be axed completely. Kira, Kobra, Hsu Hao, Nitara, Moloch, Drahmin, Taven, Daegon, Blaze, Jarek, and Mavado are examples of post-Trilogy characters that I think need to stay in the past. Sheeva, too, is a character I think should be getting a pink slip from the MKverse; she is never really liked in any game she appears in and Sheeva doesn't have much if any reason to be in the story anyway; the only reason people really want her is because fans back in the day wanted a playable Shokan, and Sheeva was the answer for that. We don't really need a playable Shokan now. She has nostalgiac value, yes, but if there was one well-known klassic character that the MK team would ever get rid of, it would definitely be Sheeva.

Last edited:
She has nostalgiac value.

You are right. Alot of people just want characters because of that nostalgic feeling. I think the nostalgic value is important with the MK games as most of us have grown up with these characters and i suppose we have developed some sort of 'bond' with them. But, each story needs to be different and how will they create new favourite characters without finding room for them or having them 'overshadowed' by current well-known favs.

We all know that no matter what the MK team does in the future, the wont be able to please everyone. Deaths, resurections, newbies, old favs... they have tried it all.

My theory wont be liked by many people but i think its the right way to go:
'dont try and please everyone'
Create a game and a storyline without trying to fit in every character here and there. The storyline will become too messed up otherwise and before they know it, theyll have armageddon once more and story lines will need to be reset again.

I for one would like the next game to be MKSM, not with LK or KL but do Scorpian and his clans story. involving quan chi, shinnok and Original SZ. Just to clarrify their whole story within this rebooted version. MK Mythologies would have been better if it was done this way, but alas.

after seeing the death of my favourite i don't know if i can imagine a MK with out him.

Spoiler:
Kung Lao was one of my favourites.Since MK2 he hs been my main. It'll be interesting seeing him gone if they decide to stick with deaths. What about Sub Zero now too. He is like the no.2 character for Mortal Kombat but now both forms are dead. The Original who becomes Noob, and the brother who became Cyber SZ.

But i am willing to hold on to this copy. just incase they do ditch the favourites.
It'll be like the old days where i held on to my mk games. rather then trade and sell them for the next one.

I have a feeling there might be a few exceptions in mk10.

maybe quan chi will use the lost souls for his army.

I think they should ditch Sheeva though. She's just waste. She has bad moves, no one likes her and my Kung Lao owned her in Story mode.k.
Stryker's another one. He's sooooo weak. and booooring. But has a good back story. the rest is crap though.

EXACTLY what i was thinking . Like the story doesnt need to have to everyone . But the in game roster does

This But Luckily My Favourite Well My Other Fav Subby Is Dead R.I.P Sub-Zero. But Reptile Gets His Ass Handed To All The Time

No Love For Reptile:(

New Fighters! New Fighters!

Hsu Hao FTW

ok that was a joke.

Would you want all characters always available, or some as DLC?

I think i prefer having a select range for each game, otherwise every game will be the same. I have enjoyed the story lines over the years, but now that things have been 'refreshed' itll be interesting to see if they stick to their guns thins time in regards to character deaths

On this topic for future games, I feel that the original character, or the ones that/die in story mode remain dead in story mode, as far as the next game, do a progressive dlc to the next chapter of the ladder, kinda like madden or rock band. Draft them over, if you own the first. But don't include them in the story, just the ladder and online play.

On this topic for future games, I feel that the original character, or the ones that/die in story mode remain dead in story mode, as far as the next game, do a progressive dlc to the next chapter of the ladder, kinda like madden or rock band. Draft them over, if you own the first. But don't include them in the story, just the ladder and online play.

I wouldnt mind that either. Id be sad if my favourites died but atleast it would mean something when it actually happened.
Wait another ten years and they can do another reboot and start all over again. Or tell the story from a different angle like they did in MKSM

I think some of the characters should come back since they killed so many of them. I think if they do though it should be classy, like they would all basically be wraiths that perhaps Raiden is about to save from the Netherealm. Or that when they are used to invade Earthrealm Raiden can save their souls or something.

The dead characters could stay dead and used by Quan Chi/Shinnok for sexual plea- *ahem* I mean for their upcoming battle. That way they could still somewhat be part of the storyline. It would seem a bit dumb to me if they took the time to put on a plan where they would enslave the souls of many warriors and don't use it to their advantage.

It wouldn't hurt to see a few of them return... I supose they could find a way to free them or whatever since so many ares dead, we kinda need more on the good side. But I wouldn't like all of them to return out of nowhere...

Frankly, I won't be impressed at all if NRS brings back all the dead characters into the storymode of MK10 as the main characters. There is hardly any effort or creativity involved by just bringing them back since its an easy way to get fans content and also lesser work for them since they don't have to focus on new characters.

What I would like to see, is NRS bring back all those post Mk3 characters which are hated by fans and turn them into fan favorites during the course of which they won't even feel the absence of the dead characters. MK9 was a fan service game and NRS delivered well, more or less. Now its time for them to move forward taking into account all positives and negatives of MK9 and going by their own agenda instead of having fans steer them to developing another fan service game. However that does not mean ignoring fans entirely, they should keep track of their feedback but that should not be the basis on how the game develops. Start thinking out of the box people!!! No risk= No reward.

I wonder if monster in the MK:D konquest mode will have a pivotal role in the future games. Though he was originally intended to be an alt for scorpion I wish NRS would expand a bit on his purpose and make him more unique. This would also throw a bit of light on what the Elder Gods are doing. What do you guys think?

All I would say is bring back 2 people:

Sub Zero- killed by Sindel, WTF? He's CLASSIC, for Elder God's sake.
Meat- never actually played him, but he looks epic. Think of him doing X-Rays.