Choice of story progression

yeah it would make sense for smoke to come back since he is... well yknow, smoke. Jade... I'd like for her to come back, and I do hope that they'll use that woman we saw in her ending, will be rather interesting. I don't know how you think Sub Zero would be turned back into a human but I don't mind him the way he is, not dead btw, I mean a Cyborg. Liu could return like that and it would be pretty interesting. They should bring back all of those that died at the hand of Sindel. The only one I'd keep in his place is Jax, I don't really care for him, given how generic and hollow he is.

Why the hell does everyone want the dead characters to remain dead in story mode.
Having them playable in arcade, online, etc. is not enough for me. I wan't them to come back and have a part in the story mode. Or atleast the ones i like most: Sub Zero and Kitana.

Yea that lady at the end of Jade's story mode could lead into an interesting story line..it's like her alliance can be good, evil, or neutral so it leaves the door open to so many possibilites!

Yea that lady at the end of Jade's story mode could lead into an interesting story line..it's like her alliance can be good, evil, or neutral so it leaves the door open to so many possibilites!

The lady in Jade's ending is Ed Boon's mom!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I547 using Tapatalk

Why the hell does everyone want the dead characters to remain dead in story mode.
Having them playable in arcade, online, etc. is not enough for me. I wan't them to come back and have a part in the story mode. Or atleast the ones i like most: Sub Zero and Kitana.

So that MK10 doesn't turn into MK4 ver 2.0 as far as story goes. Plus there are many good (arguably even better) characters in MK in the post MK3 era, all of whom can be used to make an excellent story, if NRS can rise up to the challenge.

So that MK10 doesn't turn into MK4 ver 2.0 as far as story goes. Plus there are many good (arguably even better) characters in MK in the post MK3 era, all of whom can be used to make an excellent story, if NRS can rise up to the challenge.

I never said post mk3 characters should be excluded. I just want at least my favourite pre mk3 characters to be there. I don't like (and don't care about) any of the post mk3 characters exept Kenshi

For the sake of argument, there is the common argument: killing off characters does not = story progression and isn't necessary to be a good story. Although, I too would prefer that characters stay dead but at least appear on rosters. Then again, I didn't like how most of them were killed off, so it doesn't even matter to me, personally, anymore that NetherRealm Studios will go back on their word of people staying dead.

I never said post mk3 characters should be excluded. I just want at least my favourite pre mk3 characters to be there. I don't like (and don't care about) any of the post mk3 characters exept Kenshi
Why should only your favourites be spared from death?

For the sake of argument, there is the common argument: killing off characters does not = story progression and isn't necessary to be a good story. Although, I too would prefer that characters stay dead but at least appear on rosters. Then again, I didn't like how most of them were killed off, so it doesn't even matter to me, personally, anymore that NetherRealm Studios will go back on their word of people staying dead.

Why should only your favourites be spared from death?

You might as well make an orange-colored ninja, give him a muffled voice, and name him Kenny because that's exactly what MK characters really are; they die all the time, and with very few exceptions, those deaths never stick. Why would anyone expect them to stick anyway?

Problem though is that MK isn't based entirely around your favorite characters alone. It's high time NRS showed some confidence in their decisions, bringing back dead characters in past didn't really contribute anything worthwhile as far as the story was concerned, all it did was perhaps dilute it. I feel it would be best if the dead characters take a back seat in the next game, probably just staying as pawns of Shinnok. Even with all of them remaining dead, the story potential is still treamondous.

The same could be said the other way around, keeping characters alive also does not automatically = story progression either. If they were alive and Shao Kahn defeated, how would the story of MK10 be any different from MK4? Although I did like the original MK4 story, I feel it can be made better by going interesting routes with characters such as Kai, Kenshi, Shujinko, Ermac etc.

Last edited:
Problem though is that MK isn't based entirely around your favorite characters alone. It's high time NRS showed some confidence in their decisions, bringing back dead characters in past didn't really contribute anything worthwhile as far as the story was concerned, all it did was perhaps dilute it. I feel it would be best if the dead characters take a back seat in the next game, probably just staying as pawns of Shinnok. Even with all of them remaining dead, the story potential is still treamondous.

No, the problem is that you clearly don't know what "at least" means. I don't want MK story to be based entirely on my favourites, i just want them to be there. Having them remain dead might be treamondous for you but not for me.

If we want characters to stay dead, then perhaps characters who get a fatality done on them should be unselectable for a period of 24 hours, and human players who get a fatality performed on them in Arcade/Ladder mode should NOT be allowed to use a continue, even with only a single player.

If we want characters to stay dead, then perhaps characters who get a fatality done on them should be unselectable for a period of 24 hours, and human players who get a fatality performed on them in Arcade/Ladder mode should NOT be allowed to use a continue, even with only a single player.

the no continue fatality thing is actually a pretty good idea. There should be a ladder difficulty called "hardcore mode"(or something along those lines) in which there would be no continue upon fatality.

No, the problem is that you clearly don't know what "at least" means. I don't want MK story to be based entirely on my favourites, i just want them to be there. Having them remain dead might be treamondous for you but not for me.

What does the meaning of "at least" have to do with anything? You want "at least" your favorite characters? A good number of so called MK fans will want their favorite characters in irrespective of story, if NRS starts catering to them all, MK will lose the one important thing that differentiates itself from other fighting games. Plus if you "want them to be there" with no real purpose why should they be bought back in the first place? Instead have them focus on characters that drive the story. Of course they can return via other modes and such and certain fan favorites should return, but bringing them back at the cost of the story would be a major downer for me.