Cyber Sub-Zero Thread - "You Are Not So Fearsome!"

Are you guys using a stick or a pad with him? Are you comfortable with his 2,1,1+2 juggle? I'm on a PS3 pad and the 1+2(square+triangle) input is driving me crazy.

Are you guys using a stick or a pad with him? Are you comfortable with his 2,1,1+2 juggle? I'm on a PS3 pad and the 1+2(square+triangle) input is driving me crazy.

I'm fairly comfortable with it, it comes out consistently 99% of the time. The only thing I have problem chaining into the 2,1,2+1 is his 1,1 xx Slide. They end up falling after 1,1. But I'll play around with it more tonight. My best advice would be to practice hovering your thumb over Square and Triangle and bringing it down swiftly after the 2,1.

@bmsirhc - Well it looks fantastic! Nice to see that I'm not the only Graphic Artist here. ^_^

@Demetrius - Very nice contribution! Will +Rep and add to the first post when I get off mobile.

The first time I played as Cyber Sub-Zero, I knew there was no way he was low tier. He's got so many tools for different situations, he's fast, he's really good, and I bet he's high tier or top tier. Nice thread, Thirteenhorder!

I have a question, does his ice parry catches low attacks? Sub-Zero's ice parry in MKvsDCU didn't, he got hit by them.

The first time I played as Cyber Sub-Zero, I knew there was no way he was low tier. He's got so many tools for different situations, he's fast, he's really good, and I bet he's high tier or top tier. Nice thread, Thirteenhorder!

I have a question, does his ice parry catches low attacks? Sub-Zero's ice parry in MKvsDCU didn't, he got hit by them.

I absolutely agree. Once his strengths are fully realized, he will be very utilized in Top Tier play. And thank you! I'm just glad to pass along knowledge of such a versatile character.

To answer your inquiry, Cyber Subby's Ice Parry CAN catch Low Attacks. The only thing it won't catch are some specials (like projectiles), or X-Ray Attacks.

If they do decide to remap his specials with the patch, he will for sure open up by a lot. If that does happen, expect more videos from me lol.

@MKBlade, I use sticks.

Just noticed no corner combos here so here's a couple high damage xray corner combos 11 hit 49% jump in with punch,2,1,iceball,bounce punch,bounce punch,b3,2,xray and 12 hit 56% jump in punch,2,1,iceball,2,1,1+2,bounce punch,jump kick,xray couple notes on this first make sure not to jump straight up on the jump kick it lowers the damage to 54% also you can add a jump in punch before the 2,1,1+2 bringing the damage up to 58% but the window for this is very tight and not worth it for the 2% gain

No disrespect mrb1973, I'm glad youre contributing and all but can you rewrite those combos with complete numerical annotations? Theres two punch buttons which both have different properties. Depending on which you choose affects the juggle of the combo. Try to label it
Format so its easier to read and easily added to the original post.

Also, I posted a 44% very easy no meter corner combo on the first page. Even made a video :)

He has been my main from the release of this game. The characters i have the most trouble beating with him online are scorpion, sonya, and johnny cage. Any suggestions on how to tackle those three would be greatly appreciated.

Thirteenthorder, take your time no rush man. I'm sure everyone is busy outside of this forum :)

He has been my main from the release of this game. The characters i have the most trouble beating with him online are scorpion, sonya, and johnny cage. Any suggestions on how to tackle those three would be greatly appreciated.

First, nice avy man, do you have a high res version of it? If you do can you pm me it? Now for your question, can you elaborate more with each specific characters? Like what are they doing thats catching you off guard? I dont want to give any tips because I dont know whether your opponent was good or "not" good and just caught you off guard with a few setups or their special moves.

-Johnny Cage has a very good flip kick that is safe on block. Only a few characters can punish it with a very quick uppercut. Against that, your best bet is probably baiting it with CSZ's Ice Counter or just completely blocking it. Its a very good move unfortunately lol.

-Sonya has her Military stance that she can use very effectively. I think theres plans to patch that. But her dive kick is also very good. If you can setup practice mode or with a buddy, just practice finding out how to punish it. Unfortunately the training mode in this game is horrible. LEts hope they patch it with a computer record system.

-Scorpion is a tricky one because hes very fast. Hes got teleport which is punishable on block, just make sure you differentiate which he is doing, either the ex version or not. The ex version does an extra hit which a lot of people forget about. If you space him out too much he goes with the unblock able flame. You can try baiting then and when he goes for it, teleport behind him and punish or slide. If you're pretty close in, you can jump and go for a meaty BnB.

Jumping around against scorpion is also not a very good idea because hes got a lot of options to punish that, specifically his spear and teleport punch.

Hes also got a good high to low mix up after a jump punch. So essentially to keep it safe, after you block his jump punch, block low. Again, I dont know how good this guy you fought so I dont know if he knew about this high to low mixup

Hope that helps for now, if you can get specific with them then we may be able to help you out some more. Guess only thing you can do is recreate the situation with your friend and learn how to punish it.

Last edited:
Btw guys, I encourage people to post videos of combos, mixups, live matches..ect. I'll do this as soon as finals are over, ill have more videos up.

Haha bmsirhc pretty much covered the general tips for your Scorpion/Cage/Sonya match-up dilemmas, though if you can tell us what's specifically bothering you I'm sure we can help you counter it.

Sorry only reason I didn't write 1 or 2 in those combos is because on a jump in punch there's really no difference between the two trust me when I say this because in a lot of other peoples combos I usually end up substituting 1 for 2 depending on what the ground combo starts with its up to personal preferance really. I personally use 1 before a ground combo that starts with 2 and vice versa because it keeps me from over taping potentially breaking the flow of the combo

Last edited:
thank you for the infomation he sounded really good till i read he has very little reach, i'll prob still go better with him than i did with sub zero though

Finally found a practical use for his ice bomb (medium version anyway) OK if you throw out the Medium ice bomb at point blank range fallowed by b1,2 the bomb should freeze them just as 2 connects so basically the button sequence would be ff3,b1,2 note this does not work in the corner

Last edited:
Hey bmsirhc. I don't mean to be a jerk, but could I get the # of hits per kombo that you posted on Page 1? Just wanna keep everything in order when I add it to the first post.

ok im new to this site. But i play alot of MK9...regarding this topic i have found a fairly simple 25% combo, no meter ... 1 2 iceball, Forward 1, 4

Not sure if this was already mentioned, if it was then sorry! just testing out ol' Cyber Subby!

and a 32 percent one

1 2 iceball, 1 2 1+2, Dash, Forward 1,4 .. Again im not sure if this was added already

ok im new to this site. But i play alot of MK9...regarding this topic i have found a fairly simple 25% combo, no meter ... 1 2 iceball, Forward 1, 4

Not sure if this was already mentioned, if it was then sorry! just testing out ol' Cyber Subby!

and a 32 percent one

1 2 iceball, 1 2 1+2, Dash, Forward 1,4 .. Again im not sure if this was added already

Ahh a new kombo! Thanks so much for your contribution! I'll add it to the first post.