Cyber Sub-Zero Thread - "You Are Not So Fearsome!"

Thirteenthorder

~Credit to Zephna for Character Thread Formatting~​

~You are NOT so fearsome!~​

Cyber Sub-Zero is a character that seems to be disliked by many, most notably almost all Tier Lists. It is my goal that with this thread that such myths of him being a "bad", "worthless", and "Crap Tier" character will be put to rest, as he is a VERY versatile and usable character. So usable that I decided he would be my second main after Smoke after 5 minutes with him in Training Mode. If you decide to main Cyber Sub-Zero, you won't regret it. However, should you find his cyborg form to be a little too jarring, may I direct you here?​

Spoiler:

X-Ray Attack - Base Damage: 36%. Must be performed in the air, as it takes the form of a Dive Kick. Travels FULL screen compared to his Long Dive Kick and also travels considerably faster. It's also worth noting that a good tactic to use is, bait your opponent into spamming their projectile, then land your X-Ray in the delay between their projectiles.

Ice Ball - Cyber Subby launches an Ice Ball from his hands in almost exactly the same fashion as normal Sub Zero. Freezes the opponent on hit for about 2.5 seconds.

Ice Bomb(Close/Medium/Far) - Cyber Sub-Zero releases a small bomb on his chest that detonates after approximately 2 seconds. The opponent remains in a frozen state for approximately 3 seconds. Distance can be changed depending on the directional combination you press. Use to force opponents to make mistakes. They will have to avoid it since its unblockable, just read their moves. (credit to bmsirhc.)

Slide - Cyber Subby travels full screen distance on a floor of ice. Hits the opponent low and has a pretty speedy startup, but can be punished on block.

Teleport - Cyber Sub-Zero separates his limbs and reforms on the opposite end of his opponent, similar to Cyrax. Very fast on startup and not easy to punish if your opponent can't see it coming. Use sparingly but not predictably. Cancellable after any air attack. If a jump punch is blocked, you can teleport for safety. Random teleports are not safe so make sure the situation in the match is safe before doing it "randomly". (credit to bmsirhc.)

Ice Parry - Another move borrowed from his human self in the alternate timeline, Cyber Subby goes into an "iced-over" state where he encases his entire body in ice. If attacked in this stance, the opponent themselves will freeze and Cyber Sub-Zero will smash them with an ice greatsword. This move has extremely fast startup and is not easy to punish. Use it when your opponent is on wakeup to make them think twice about attacking.

Useful Ice Parry Situations:
-After a Kombo is blocked
-On Wakeup
-To Trap your opponent in the corner
-After a Teleport (ESPECIALLY notable)

(Credit to the list goes to bmsirhc)

Divekick(Close/Far) - Can only be done in the air. Cyber Subby flies toward the ground in a kick. The angle of the kick is dependent on the button you press (3 version will fly at a 30 degree angle, while the 4 version will hit at a 60 degree angle). Use when your opponent is spamming projectiles and a jump in would be too predictable.

Other Notes on Divekick:
-Cancellable from any Air Attack
-Can close space between you and your opponent
-Safe on block below the waist
-3 Bars of EX Dive Kick does 56% damage, more useful than X-Ray in some situations

(Credit to the list goes to bmsirhc)

Spoiler:

1 = Front Punch (Square or X)
2 = Back Punch (Triangle or Y)
3 = Front Kick (X or A)
4 = Back Kick (Circle or B)
DC = Dash Cancel
EX. = Enhanced Version
J. = Jump/While in the Air
NJ. = Neutral Jump - Jump up
-x? = Do Attack ? number of times

Ice Ball: D,F,1
Ice Bomb (Close): B,B,3
Ice Bomb (Medium): F,F,3
Ice Bomb (Far): B,B,F,3
Slide: B,F,4
Teleport: D,B,1
Ice Parry: D,B,2
Divekick (Close): D,3
Divekick (Far): D,4

Spoiler:

VS Keepaway, Projectile Spam, and Zoning: Just as in facing Human Sub-Zero, Cyber Subby absolutely SHUTS DOWN Keepaway/Zoners and Projectile Spammers. Anyone who attempts to trade projectiles with you (sans another (Cyber) Sub-Zero) will be in a frozen state. Sure, both of you may take 8% damage but since your opponent will be frozen, you can inflict another 30% with a kombo. Additionally, if you want to keep it simple, punish jump-ins with Slide. If Projectile Spammers are truly getting annoying, you can also shut them down with a well-placed Divekick. Just be sure to choose correctly between the Close and Far versions.

VS Teleporters: Block and punish with a kombo that leads into an Ice Ball, which can then lead into another kombo. You'll need fast reflexes to punish some Teleports (such as Cyrax's), but others (such as Smoke's) can easily be punished with a number of Cyber Sub-Zero's more damaging kombos. Stay sharp against Teleport spam and you'll emerge the victor.

Anti-Air: Divekick will almost always win against an opponent attempting to jump in at you. Additionally if you're in a tight squeeze, Slide can also act as an Anti-Air for anyone hoping to score a free overhead attack on you. Ice Ball can also catch the opposition if you're quick enough about your wits, though not as reliable or practical as the aforementioned two in the heat of online combat.

Mix-Up Game: Cyber Subby doesn't have much in the form of mixing it up. There's not much advice to be given here except for the usual "Attempt to Jump in with 1 or 2 Overhead". However he does have a notable mix-up combo that can chain into a number of things. Use inbetween your barrage of special attacks, but don't over-indulge (which can be tempting because it's VERY useful): B3,2,1. This combo results in Cyber Sub-Zero performing a quick ankle kick followed by a rising uppercut. Very, very useful and an awesome mix-up starter to keep your opponent guessing.

Spoiler:

This section of the Cyber Sub-Zero thread will be divided into X-Ray, Meter, and No Meter Kombos. Have at it!

X-Ray Combos
52% 11 Hits: j.1, 2, 1, Ice Ball, j.1, 2, 1, 1+2, Jump xx X-Ray (Credit to bmsirhc!)

48% 10 Hits: j.1, 2, 1, Ice Ball, j.1, b.3, 2 xx X-Ray (Credit to bmsirhc!)

47% 9 Hits: j.2, 2,1 xx Ice Ball, 2,1,2+1, Jump Forward, X-Ray (Jump immediately after 2+1 !)

46% 8 Hits: B+1, Ice Ball, 2,1,2+1, Jump Forward, X-Ray (Jump immediately after 2+1 !)

38% 6 Hits: 2,1 xx Ice Ball, Jump, X-Ray

Meter Combos
31% 9 Hits: j.2, 2,1 xx Ice Ball, 2,1,2+1, EX Slide

29% 9 Hits: j.2, 2,1 xx Ice Ball, 2,2,1 xx EX Slide

23% 4 Hits: EX Ice Bomb, B+3,2,1

Meterless Combos
[Corner Only] 44% 12 Hits: j.1, 2, 1, Ice Ball, j.1, [3,4]x3 xx Slide (Credit to bmsirhc!)

38% 11 Hits: j.1, 2,1 xx Ice Ball, j.1, 2,1,1+2, dash, f.1,4 (Credit to Sektorpionax-Zero!)

36% 11 Hits: j.1, 2, 1, Ice Ball, j.1, 2, 1, 1+2, Dash, 2, 1, Slide (Credit to bmsirhc!)

32% 10 Hits: j.1, 2, 1, Ice Ball, j.1, b.3, 2, dash, 2, 1, Slide (Credit to bmsirhc!)

32% 9 Hits: j.1, 2, 1, Ice Ball, j.1, 2, 1, 1+2, Dash, f.4 (Ice bomb, dash, Ice counter) (Credit to bmsirhc!)

32% 9 Hits: j.1, 2, 1, Ice Ball, j.1, 2, 1, 1+2, Dash, f.4 (Ice Bomb, Ice Freeze) (Credit to bmsirhc!)

32% 9 Hits: j.2, 2,1 xx Ice Ball, 2,1,2+1, j.4 xx Divekick

26% 8 Hits: j.2, 2,1 xx Ice Ball, 2,1,2+1, B+1,2 (Second hit of B+1,2 should whiff)

27% 7 Hits: j.2, B+1 xx Ice Ball, 2,1,2+1, j.4 xx Divekick

27% 7 Hits: j.2, 2,1 xx Ice Ball, B+3,2,1

23% 5 Hits: B+1 xx Ice Ball, F+1, 4. (credit to Demetrius!)

21% 5 Hits: B+1 xx Ice Ball, B+3,2,1

27% 7 Hits: j.1, 1,1 xx Ice Ball, f+1,4 (Credit to Kopykat007!)

29% 7 Hits: j.2, 2,1 xx Ice Ball, f+1,4 (Credit to Kopykat007!)

Spoiler:

Cyber Sub-Zero BnB Kombo Video 1 By bmsirhc

Cyber Sub-Zero Trap Setups Video 1 By bmsirhc

Cyber Sub-Zero BnB Kombo Video 2 By bmsirhc

Last edited by a moderator:
You should prolly change the font color on his quote, I have to squint like a motherf----r to read it, even already knowing what it says lol.

Otherwise, good thread. I like Cyber Sub-Zero, he has a lot of potential as a fighter. I don't play as him enough to be great, but when I do play as him, he's all kinds of fun. So many people rag on him, but I have to wonder if they really gave him a fair shake because I know I'm not the only one who sees big potential in him. Lots of people in this forum say he's quality and even Tom Brady has said good things.

Diggin' the support for this underrated fighter.

This is what I came up with

Cyber Sub Zero BnB's

Combo 1, Bars used 0, 32% Damage
With EX Slide, 34%

Combo 2, Bars used 0, 36% Damage
With EX Slide, 38%

Combo 3, Bars used ALL, 48% Damage

Found those combos to be relatively easy for online use while dealing decent damage. Dont like the idea of using the EX slides when you can save the bars for a 48% damage. Also like to note that his EX Dive kick alone does 18% damage with one bar. I'd rather save the bars for 3 EX Dive kicks or one X-ray combo.

I started messing around with Mixups/Traps. Hes not like Cyrax where its inescapable but to an opponent not anticipating it, they may fall for these shenanigans.

First trap, the combo sends him to the corner and gets option selected by an ice bomb. Hes got to jump so by dashing it, I'm bating for a jump kick or jump punch hoping to catch him with a counter. Again, the trap is not like cyrax where its inescapable.

Second trap, sends him to the corner but instead of me dashing in and hoping for an attack, I'd sit back and throw an ice ball which is unblockable in the air.

Third trap (unrecorded), Same as above but after the ice bomb, Jump Dive kick. If they sit and block, they eat the bomb, if they jump they'll get hit by the dive kick.

Combo 1, Bars used 0, 44% Damage [Corner Only]

Combo 2, Bars used 3, 52% Damage

My Strategy with his special moves and x-ray:

Ice Ball:
-If from full screen and the opponent decides to have a projectile war, Ice ball should win since projectiles dont trade in the game. Freeze the oppoent then teleport to get near for a meaty combo
-Could also be used for an anti-air from full screen

Ice Bomb:
-Use to force opponents to make mistakes. They will have to avoid it since its unblockable, just read their moves.

Slide:
-Since its easily punishable, I only use it if I find the opponent blocking high a lot, mix it up with a quick slide. Generally, I only use this after a combo to keep it safe.

Teleport:
-Cancellable after any air attack. If a jump punch is blocked, you can teleport for safety. Random teleports are not safe so make sure the situation in the match is safe before doing it "randomly"

Ice Parry:
-I like to do it after a block string if the opponent decides to try and punish me
-After teleport, if they try to punish the teleport
-Jump ins
-Corner trap

Dive kick: Has many uses other than the obvious
-Cancellable after any air attack.
-Used to close in
-Overhead mixups
-Safe on block only if below the waste
-3 EX of this does 54%, way better than a stand alone x-ray
-Punish zoners

X-ray:
-I prefer comboing with it
-Can be used after baiting a projectile as a standalone
-Goes pretty far, I forget if its full screen but it goes at least more than half.

Last edited:
You should prolly change the font color on his quote, I have to squint like a motherf----r to read it, even already knowing what it says lol.

Otherwise, good thread. I like Cyber Sub-Zero, he has a lot of potential as a fighter. I don't play as him enough to be great, but when I do play as him, he's all kinds of fun. So many people rag on him, but I have to wonder if they really gave him a fair shake because I know I'm not the only one who sees big potential in him. Lots of people in this forum say he's quality and even Tom Brady has said good things.

Diggin' the support for this underrated fighter.

Thanks so much! I appreciate the feedback and made the necessary changes to the font colour. Otherwise, I definitely agree. Cyber Sub-Zero has TONS of potential, and we'll certainly have some fun figuring out the entirety of his kombo-ing abilities.

@bmsirhc - I'll update the thread with the videos and notations, and give credit where credit is due. ^_^

Right now, I feel like CSZ is very restricted. After a pop up combo, dashing and utilizing his 3,3 combo is very hard without having the bombs come out. The motion to do it is -> -> <- 3,3.

From the recent Tom Brady Show on stream, he mentions of a possible remapping of his special moves to open him up more. If they remove forward, forward 3/back back 3 for his bomb, we can utilize his 3,3 more after dashes. Heres for hope!

You know, simply because he is so underrated, I thought I would give him a try. The ability to Dive Kick, Freeze, AND counter is just not something that should be taken lightly, not even bringing his Bombs and teleport into consideration. Any specific tricks for him?

Also, what does BnB mean? I have no idea...

Even though I don't have something to really add, I'd like to say that you have something going on there Thirteenthorder. I remember the first time playing as him and I felt that there was something different about him and that he might have some major potential. He is really interesting when it comes to speed, because his attacks feel kinda slow, but his dash is rather quick.

Demetrius, BnB means Bread and Butter. In fighting games, it basically means a standard combo that is easy to execute, a preferred combo for that character.

what are his advantages and disadvantages? ever since i saw him in play i been excited to try him

As far as disadvantages go, ill quote REO from TYM because I strongly agree with it:

What I've noticed so far is chars that have air control (Kabal, Mileena, Kitana, Sub-Zero, etc.) and chars that always punish your dive kicks 100% regardless of spacing (Raiden, Cage, Reptile, Nightwolf, etc.) give CSZ the most trouble.

If CSZ can't get in and apply pressure or control the air against an opponent well with dive kicks then he has to stay grounded and his ground game is pretty poor. His normals have poor range and are only most effective when he's at pointblank which he uses dive kicks and jump-ins to acheive.

Right now he seems like a very solid char, you're just gonna have to adapt in different ways of playing him as a whole in certain match-ups. I'm gonna continue messing around with CSZ for a while and use him at future tournaments and see how he plays out. I don't have much experience with this char against humans, most of what I've built on came straight out of practice mode.

His advantages:
-Hes got a very good block string which is pretty safe.
2,1,1+2

On block, you can mix it up by doing 2 series of a poke string 2,1 then go for a grab or sweep.

-His Dive kick and teleport makes him very easy to close in on zoners
-Bars, when CSZ has bars, he should be respected. Having a full bar can net him a meaty 52% X-ray combo as shown above on one of my videos
His EX dive kick does 18% alone, multiply that three times does a lot of damage.
His EX bomb covers majority of the screen which forces the opponent to jump because it is unblockable. You have then many options to capitalize on this.

@bmsirhc - Could I bother you for the notations of the CSZ combo videos you posted up? Would love to add them to the first post.

@newbie1556 - His main advantage over the human version of Sub-Zero is that he is noticeably faster, has a Dive Kick, an Air X-Ray Attack, and also can utilize Ice Bombs. The main thing you're benefiting from though is his speed.

@Demetrius - Sorry about any confusion. The term "BnB" refers to Bread and Butter combo. (because Bread and Butter is usually referred to as a basic staple, so a character's BnB combos are their basic staple combos that you should memorize.

@kodkilla - Absolutely, I implore you give him a chance. From what I've discovered via playing with him, you certainly won't be disappointed. Far too many players on TRMK give CSZ a bad rap and they have barely scratched the surface of what looks to be an extremely viable character.

Thanks for the definition :D

Just found a little, 23% combo with him:

Back 1, Ice Ball, Forward 1,4.

5 Hits.

Yeah, it's not that impressive, but still, not hard to do and it's almost a fourth of their life. Very easy for beginners.

Thanks for the definition :D

Just found a little, 23% combo with him:

Back 1, Ice Ball, Forward 1,4.

5 Hits.

Yeah, it's not that impressive, but still, not hard to do and it's almost a fourth of their life. Very easy for beginners.

Absolutely! Thank you very much for your contribution! I've added it to the first post and given you credit.

No problem,

Video 1
Combo 1, Bars used 0, 32% Damage, 10 Hits
j.1, 2, 1, Ice Ball, j.1, b.3, 2, dash, 2, 1, Slide

Combo 2, Bars used 0, 36% Damage, 11 Hits
j.1, 2, 1, Ice Ball, j.1, 2, 1, 1+2, Dash, 2, 1, Slide

Combo 3, Bars used ALL, 48% Damage, 10 Hits
j.1, 2, 1, Ice Ball, j.1, b.3, 2 xx X-Ray

Video 2
Setup 1, Bars used 0, Damage 32%, 9 Hits
j.1, 2, 1, Ice Ball, j.1, 2, 1, 1+2, Dash, f.4 (Ice bomb, dash, Ice counter)

Setup 2, Bars used 0, Damage 32%, 9 Hits
j.1, 2, 1, Ice Ball, j.1, 2, 1, 1+2, Dash, f.4 (Ice Bomb, Ice Freeze)

Video 3
Combo 1, Bars used 0, 44% Damage, 12 Hits
Corner Only: j.1, 2, 1, Ice Ball, j.1, [3,4]x3 xx Slide

Combo 2, Bars used 3, 52% Damage, 11 Hits
j.1, 2, 1, Ice Ball, j.1, 2, 1, 1+2, Jump xx X-Ray

Last edited:
Just another few xray strategys here you can start it directly out of his b,3,2 combo which starts off with a low hit also if you manage to catch your opponent by an ice bomb a xray directly after deals out 44% damage and here's a sweet combo that takes some setting up its a 59% midscreen xray medium ice bomb (you want this to land right behind them) as soon as it comes out hit them with a dive kick doesn't really matter which one if timed correctly it should push them into the bomb just as it explodes once frozen dash bounce punch jump kick an xray

Last edited:
u guys like my ps3 setup? lol

Haha I love it! Did you make the wallpaper yourself? I might try my hand at making a full Cyber Subby PS3 theme. Got nothing else to do while the network is down :/

In the meanwhile, at this time I'm updating the Kombo List

UPDATE: I had to rush out of the house this morning, so I'll be on mobile a majority of the day. I'll completely add the rest of your combos and give credit when I get back to a computer, bmsirhc.