How about secret hidden fighter patches, rather than DLC?

Rexroth

I think it'd be awesome if NRS SECRETLY added a few more hidden fighters via mandatory game updates / patches.

Newer fans may not know this, but some of the hidden fighters in the arcade games were not in the original arcade machines. They were patched into the game in later revisions. Reptile was not in the original Mortal Kombat until rev. 3.0. They started leaking hints about Reptile in rev. 4.0. Noob Saibot was not in Mortal Kombat II until rev. 3.0, either. (Jade and Smoke were in the initial release version though.)

Because there are a lot of apologists on here who will defend NRS' right to only doing things that net them a profit, maybe they could use it to sell Kenshi and Scarlett. Put them in as hidden fighters to tease people into buying them. I also think it'd be smart if they patched in new "attraction" mode clips showing the DLC.

NRS could really make this like playing the arcade at home and I think this would be an excellent way to keep the arcade tradition AND the longevity of the game alive & kicking.

I didn't even mention stage fatalities and friendships, which were patched into Mortal Kombat 4 and Mortal Kombat 3, respectively. The possibilities are endless. This could make a nuisance (patching) something to actually look forward to. And, they could use it to sell paid game content.