Sonya Thread - "Mission Accomplished"

Aaron Covey

Sonyaguiderender.png

Sonya blade is one character you will grow to love. Her fast combos, are move Military stance moves, and mind games can leave her open to almost being untouchable. I may be talking out my butt on the whole untouchable aspect but learn her, and master her skills can leave you with deadly results. Great character and very easy to get into but hard to master.

Spoiler:

1=
fp.png

2=
bp.png

3=
fk.png

4=
bk.png

Kiss -
d.png
l.png
fp.png
- grants a combo on hit. safe on block vs stand block. vs crouch block is punished by uppercut.

Dive Kick -
d.png
bk.png
- has priority over most moves. on hit grants a combo. punished by full combo if blocked

Cartwheel -
d.png
r.png
fk.png
- safe mid launcher.

Leg Grab -
l.png
r.png
bk.png
- very unsafe. mainly uses as a combo ender.

Rings -
l.png
r.png
bp.png
- projectile. safe on block even up close.

Arc Kick -
d.png
l.png
bk.png
- travels almost full screen. knocks down on hit. punished by full combo on block.

Air Throw -
fp.png
fk.png
(while in air) - throws the opponent out of air. has priority over air moves. comes out even if the opponent doesnt jump and is punished by full combo.

Spoiler:
sonyacombostestyourmight.png

Complete Guide Video i made with including Combos and more, and i explain how to do all of them as well.

Spoiler:

Sonya is a mind trick character. Her arc kick is deadly for reaching your opponent faster and also good for jump spammers. Her dive kick can also be good for when your Opponent is left open after a blocked combo to jump over you. Kinda like Cyber-Sub Zero dive kick trap. Very Useful. With her Enhanced Leg grab as a combo finisher is extremely good. Just be careful not to spam her leg grab during the fight due to it being extremely punishable. So only use it at the end of Combos. Just be extra careful with her dive kick and Arc kick, they can be punishable on block so use those moves with caution.

Spoiler:

Her Millitary stance (d,b,2) is her BnB. She has a few good moves out it along with a nice crouch block take down (1+3) and a very nice low blow for stand blockers (f+1). Her Uppercut (b+1) can be extremely useful if you follow it with a b+2,1,f+2 combo. I don't recommend using her Military Stance loops since it will be patched soon. You can also break into her stance from within a combo. For example, you can do b+2,1,f+2,dash,b+2,1~military stance,1+3,22. Or you can change it up to how you see fit. She has alot of mind games to play around with. So see what you can come up with.

All props to Testyourmight.com for the combos and info

Sonya Guide

Last edited:
I like sonya a lot. I actually like all of the officers. Jax, Sonya, and Stryker are my favorites. My only problem is the Arc Kick. It's so easy to miss it sometimes. Other than that she is pretty perfect.

well i would say good job for putting this together, but you copied it, nonetheless..
i'll say good job for putting it on TRMK.

could you please make the combos read in a (1 = Square/X) type of format like in the sub-zero guide. it's easier and faster to read. my gratitude if you can. thanks alot.

could you please make the combos read in a (1 = Square/X) type of format like in the sub-zero guide. it's easier and faster to read. my gratitude if you can. thanks alot.

yes i will be making a new and improved guide, not a copy and paste again. Such a huge lazy half ass guide on my part. Expect the new guide to be up in a few day's.

i am suprised how much i like her, i didnt expect her to be any good but she is my second favourite character after kano, she just has so many good moves

These Combos Hard To Do But They Are Fantastic ... Sad Her Kiss Stuns Half Second :(
vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Thanks for making this Aaron! I've been working on Sonya quite alot recently in tag matches with Mileena to get the hang of her and figuring out what works best in what situations. I've got a long way to go, but I'm sure this guide is going to make things much easier for me