Smoke Thread - "Where There is Smoke, There is Fire!"

pfft, I'm not exactly producing 720p videos lol :)

I wish I had better ways to record...if money permits I might invest on something better. We'll see.

check out ARIS hes about 5 minutes in. not a bad smoke at all. also if i find it, there was a smoke at powerup in frisco that i learned a few things from.

http://www.youtube.com/user/levelupseries#p/u/5/m57nvfTCtec

Reposting this for page 3! Def worth a watch if you are a Smoke player. Aris has one of the best Smoke players right now. I know he won one night at WNFs not sure how many more tournaments he won with him. Aris if most of you dont know is a very good Tekken player. Glad we have some cross overs with the players.

Unmm...

Not to be a jerk, but your train of thought is quite inaccurate.

Actually its not inaccurate. Many noob I mean smoke players repeat the same 2-3 moves and perhaps just to make it look like there are not quite doing the same shit, they will toss in some little bullcrap combo. I had my fair share of battles ( If you glanced at my signature) so I am clearly aware of what I am stating. There is also a thread floating around somewhere called: "What do noobish smoke players look like" and many people have stated the same things I have. Perhaps you are just among the very few who use smoke legitimately. Thanks for replying nonetheless and sharing your thoughts.

Last edited:
Actually its not inaccurate. Many noob I mean smoke players repeat the same 2-3 moves and perhaps just to make it look like there are not quite doing the same shit, they will toss in some little bullcrap combo. I had my fair share of battles ( If you glanced at my signature) so I am clearly aware of what I am stating. There is also a thread floating around somewhere called: "What do noobish smoke players look like" and many people have stated the same things I have. Perhaps you are just among the very few who use smoke legitimately. Thanks for replying nonetheless and sharing your thoughts.

would i be making an ass out of u n me by saying that youre judging this by online only?

would i be making an ass out of u n me by saying that youre judging this by online only?

Yes. My judgement is from online only. I dont know why that would make a difference though. Smoke players play differently offline lol? I use my cyrax the same way offline and online

Yes. My judgement is from online only. I dont know why that would make a difference though. Smoke players play differently offline lol? I use my cyrax the same way offline and online

yea mayn they do lol i recommend looking for some local offline people to play.. its like filtering all the scrubs out.

not understanding the whole smoke cloud OTG thing in combination with the air throw, unless its a smoke cloud thrown to catch them off guard while they're recovering from the air throw. There's no way that you can land a smoke cloud in the middle of the air throws damage to link a combo, no way.

EDIT: Just watched it online. Don't see how its possible, has it been done on the PS3 version? Cause I've tried it, and it doesn't work.

Last edited:
not understanding the whole smoke cloud OTG thing in combination with the air throw, unless its a smoke cloud thrown to catch them off guard while they're recovering from the air throw. There's no way that you can land a smoke cloud in the middle of the air throws damage to link a combo, no way.

EDIT: Just watched it online. Don't see how its possible, has it been done on the PS3 version? Cause I've tried it, and it doesn't work.

yo dood do a late jk xx air throw, while they are on the way down, then buffer the qcb motion and hit 2 right when you hit the deck. it easy once you get it. but its gonna be taken out anyway.

Ahh yes, that thread is of my own creation. Funny you bring it up actually, as I myself wanted to see what these Smoke spammers play like. But yes, apparently you are correct. I feel pity for anyone spamming Smoke Cloud and Teleport, as they're making what could be a very viable and damaging character a completely bad name online.

Unfortunately I'm on PS3 and I see you're on LIVE. I would've love to have gotten in a few sparring matches with you. But, yes I do concede that the majority of Smoke users use him in an inconsistent and jarring manner. Guess you can count me as the minority that actually puts him to good use as a kombatant. :p

In simpler terms,

Here's how to do a simple OTG Smoke Cloud:

Launch your opponent with 3,D+1,2. Immediately jump in the air after them but DON'T immediately grab them. Wait until they're as close to the ground as they possibly can be, then Air Throw them. If you performed this correctly you should have landed and they should be in a bounce state for a very short time. At this point you throw a Smoke Cloud.

I went ahead and took bmsirhc's advice and made my first MK9-related video! This video shows a very basic way to OTG Smoke's Smoke Cloud. Bottoms up to anyone having trouble with it!

EDIT: There is also a new section in the Smoke Thread. Welcome to the "Smoke OTG Cloud Help Zone" section which can be found in the first post. Enjoy!

I went ahead and took bmsirhc's advice and made my first MK9-related video! This video shows a very basic way to OTG Smoke's Smoke Cloud. Bottoms up to anyone having trouble with it!

EDIT: There is also a new section in the Smoke Thread. Welcome to the "Smoke OTG Cloud Help Zone" section which can be found in the first post. Enjoy!

Went home and got it. Really wasn't that hard actually... I think the trick is: do the Smoke Cloud when Smoke's feet are a few inches from hitting the ground.

I'm actually addicted to it now. I've just been doing jump kick, airthrow, smoke cloud, jump kick, air throw. Easy 32% damage.

Went home and got it. Really wasn't that hard actually... I think the trick is: do the Smoke Cloud when Smoke's feet are a few inches from hitting the ground.

I'm actually addicted to it now. I've just been doing jump kick, airthrow, smoke cloud, jump kick, air throw. Easy 32% damage.

Indeed, it is quite simple to execute, you just need to watch your timing and height from the ground on your Air Throw. However, I wouldn't practice it too much, as it's confirmed to be removed in an upcoming patch ):

I believe theyre only removing the Jump kick xx Grab to Smoke Bomb OTG. I think you can still combo into smoke bomb to continue a combo.

It will just remove his 45-50% damage range with his combo. We will still have the 30-38%

Reposting this for page 3! Def worth a watch if you are a Smoke player. Aris has one of the best Smoke players right now. I know he won one night at WNFs not sure how many more tournaments he won with him. Aris if most of you dont know is a very good Tekken player. Glad we have some cross overs with the players.

Took a quick peek against his matches Vs. Kitana and Liu Kang. Overall I have to say I'm not super impressed. His Smoke seems to be based mostly on zoning and has trouble chaining his BnB. Overall though he knows when to throw out a Smoke Cloud and when to Teleport, so that gets a medal in my book.

I believe theyre only removing the Jump kick xx Grab to Smoke Bomb OTG. I think you can still combo into smoke bomb to continue a combo.

It will just remove his 45-50% damage range with his combo. We will still have the 30-38%

I don't think NRS is being fair with this removal. Smoke already has a difficult enough time getting in on his opponent, not to mention the fact that he has NO high/low mixup game. I disagree with their decision

I really like this thread, well done Thirteenorder :)
This is my favorite combo with Smoke, and since I don't see it in the first post you can add it if you want:

44% 14 Hits: jf2 3,D+1,2, 3,D+1,2, 3,D+1,2 Smoke Cloud j4 xx Teleport

- Looks cool :)
- Requires great timing
- Is meterless
- Doesn't use the OTG cloud, so we can probably do this even after the upcoming patch
- If you use Air Throw instead of Teleport, it does 43%
- If you use EX Smoke Cloud, it does 45%
- For the ones that want to waste 3 bars for 7% more damage: 51% 14 Hits: jf2 3,D+1,2, 3,D+1,2, 3,D+1,2 Smoke Cloud X-Ray

Hope this will be useful and sorry for the poor english.

If they remove smokes org smoke bomb combo they better nerf the heck out of everyone else with easier 50%+ combos cause without the org combo smokes high damage possibilities are few