Sub-Zero Thread - "Feel Death's Cold Embrace!"

Wait... no no no I never asked what strings.... I never even mentioned strings. I meant how close does the opponent have to be or what srate for the clone not to come out because sometimes is does and sometimes it doesn't at close range.... No wonder I was confused as to wtf you were talking about.

Wait... no no no I never asked what strings.... I never even mentioned strings. I meant how close does the opponent have to be or what srate for the clone not to come out because sometimes is does and sometimes it doesn't at close range.... No wonder I was confused as to wtf you were talking about.

You have to go into the lab and learn the spacing, we can't just tell you :laugh:

You have to go into the lab and learn the spacing, we can't just tell you :laugh:

Its quite inconsistent, sometimes it will work at the spacing, sometimes it wont, thats what I wanted to know about more, like whether it made a difference if they are crouching ect hence why I used the word "requirements". Anyway I read over what you said before & its helpful now I know wtf you were on about.

Good question I think its random. I just guess it best not to try it at close range. Its weird you cant do an ice clone but d4 into ice clone, leaving not much difference in spacing and it will come out.

Good question I think its random. I just guess it best not to try it at close range. Its weird you cant do an ice clone but d4 into ice clone, leaving not much difference in spacing and it will come out.

^So it's not random then, you also have to factor in push back and the space inbetween you and your opponent.

Yes you are right, but it seems a bit odd to be fair. You can D3 or D$ into ice clone in the corner which one i cant remember gives little to no push back. It seems odd that you can be in the exact same posistion standingas the push back from a d4 on an ice clone, and the standing when just doing an ice clone, with the exact same spacing wont. hear what your saying that you have to acknowledge certain factors to it.

Im gonna mess around with this when i get home, it means nothing to me to be fair but its bugging me now if theres an exact science to ice clones. Im sure there will be.

A good way that I use to test out his ice clones is an ice clone and then an Enhanced Slide. You can slide into and flip him over and then you can shoot an ice ball to deal a total of 16% damage to an opponent who never guards low. Good move to turn the tide of a battle with an over-teleporting or overaggressive opponent (most Scorpion players, Ermac players etc etc).

Honestly I feel as though Sub-Zero is (excuse the pun) Sub-Par in MK9. He feels sluggish, has almost no special moves, has a near useless ice puddle move, has no teleport or anti teleport, and has no really slow recovery time from combos and special moves. Ed boon must have said, "hey lets make sub-zero awfully slow and weak for a change!". He is the worst Sub-Zero of all the games in my opinion. Dare I say it... the MKvsDC sub-zero was the best of the 3D era. He has a teleport! He has average speed and can move at a decent speed without getting slaughtered by enemy projectiles. His mid range game is amazing.

So here are my pros and cons:

Pros:
High damage combos
Forces your opponent to slow down and think
Cons:
Slowest Kharacter in the game
4 special moves (3 useful ones)
Slowest recovery time in the game from ANY combo or special move

Overall, he is a 7/10 and is pathetically slow. His speed is okay, but could they at least make it so his combo recovery and special move recovery was normal. Playing as him is like ice skating on cleats (pun somewhat intended). I love Sub-Zero, but I am honestly let down at his weaknesses in the new MK. Lets hope the next game has a better Sub-Zero. :)

Nope.

I agree with the 7/10 rating but not the reasons why.

I feel that you may not be using Sub to his full potential which is resets and overall combo opportunity. Did you know, his forward 4 is an overhead?

Look, Sub-Zero is slow but sluggish is over exaggerated. Sub-Zero has a flow about him, you just have to catch on to it. Nothings wrong with having 4 special moves. Hell, his ice ball and ice clone is the center of his game. The ice puddle is kinda useless but you can use it for resets or when you catch your enemy off guard.

Sub-Zero doesn't need a teleport to win, and anti teleport is false. The anti-teleport is either the block button or the ice clone. Also what slow recovery time are you referring to anyway? Cause you know, if you do a combo like 2,1,2 you can either ice ball or ice clone to make yourself safe.

I'm not trying to bash you but Sub-Zero can be a great character to use if you know all the properties for him. Also MKvsDCU was a totally different game from the current one.

I thought I was the only one who felt that way about Sub, Yung.

He's not sluggish, it's just everything he does flows together in a sense.. Like with Scorpion you can just mash out 1,1,1 and it's Rapid, but with Sub's 2,1,2 it's like a pattern or a rhythm to it. Most of his other strings are like that too, except for 2,2 or 2,2,2.

and Iceballing after 2,1,2 opens Sub up to being combo'd because the Iceball has no push back and the recovery is ass up close, but you're right about cloning after 2,1,2 though.

Thats why they made Cyber Sub. Fast and efficient.

But if I recall correctly, Kratos is the slowest character.

Thats why they made Cyber Sub. Fast and efficient.

But if I recall correctly, Kratos is the slowest character.

Yes, you are correct.

These fudgetards up here think sluggish = bad.

God will give you an example. Kanji is slow, and sluggish in Persona 4 Area, but he compensates with damage. Yes, he is very sluggish. Sub-Zero is sluggish, but that's just how he plays. Doesn't mean he's a bad or useless character (In terms of gameplay. Fvcker is useless as a character when it comes to story.)

But let's not get into that.

Nope.

I agree with the 7/10 rating but not the reasons why.

I feel that you may not be using Sub to his full potential which is resets and overall combo opportunity. Did you know, his forward 4 is an overhead?

Look, Sub-Zero is slow but sluggish is over exaggerated. Sub-Zero has a flow about him, you just have to catch on to it. Nothings wrong with having 4 special moves. Hell, his ice ball and ice clone is the center of his game. The ice puddle is kinda useless but you can use it for resets or when you catch your enemy off guard.

Sub-Zero doesn't need a teleport to win, and anti teleport is false. The anti-teleport is either the block button or the ice clone. Also what slow recovery time are you referring to anyway? Cause you know, if you do a combo like 2,1,2 you can either ice ball or ice clone to make yourself safe.

I'm not trying to bash you but Sub-Zero can be a great character to use if you know all the properties for him. Also MKvsDCU was a totally different game from the current one.

Yeah He does have a certain flow about him. I took your advice. He is much better than I previously thought.

Sub Zero was always my favourite character. Always will be :)

I like playing as him in MK9 but I can't land to many advanced, 5+ Kombos with him though.