Nightwolf Thread - "Ancestors Give Me Strength"

Yup, I know I can. However, dash+1 doesn't work so well with enhanced lightning and I am unable to do his 1, 2, 2, shoulder as finisher :/ Doing lighning, I believe with dash+1, shoulder does 45% damage too. Which is good, don't give me wrong though...

My main 1 meter bnb from Nightwolf:

JF1, B1, 1, 1, axe swing, axe swing, dash+1, enhanced axe swing, 1 (time it well), dash+1, dash+1, 2, 2 shoulder ---> 45% I believe.
That's a nice combo. I get 44% with it I think.

I added onto that combo a little bit:

JP, B2-2 (or B1-1-1), DF1, DF1, 1, DF1 EX, DB3 EX, 1, 1-2-2, FF4 (49%)

Although B2-2 can be tricky because of negative edge, if you wait until he's doing the 2nd '2', then input the axe swing, you'll have no problems. Another big benefit of using B2-2 instead of B1-1-1 is that (a) you don't knock your opponent nearly as far away (can hit with the axe much easier), and (b) I find that sometimes I'm sloppy with the B1-1-1 (sometimes mashing 1 a little bit) and he'll do B1-1-1 and the axe swing won't input. Though I know you like the B1-1-1 because of its safety on block; not sure what B2-2 is like.

Also, I'm surprised you're not able to pull off his XRAY combo.

JP, B1-1-1 (or B2-2), DF1, DF1, B+2, X-RAY - (54%)

I find it real easy to do. While his meter might be better saved for multiple 44% combos, if you can take the match when he's a little over half health, may as well.

44% for 1 meter combo is still pretty good.

Both B1, 1, 1 and B2, 2 are safe on block in case you miss his axe swing, I just feel the negative edge kills B2, 2 for me. Choke is not a bad alternative, it just don't have the juggle potential axe swing does. Fortunately Nightwolf is the kind of character you can play around with because he has an insane amount of combo starters:
1, 1 - fast, low damage, though not safe on block.
B1, 1 - slow, high damage, safe on block.
1, 2, 2 - fast, high damage, safe on block, but negative edge kills it.
B2, 2 - not very fast, nor very slow, but safe on block.
F3, 1 - fast, not very safe on block.

1, 2, 2 is his best choice, it deals damage as high as B1, 1 but faster and even safer on block, however be prepared to be frustrated by negative edge :/

Also building upon your previous combo Voncroy:

JP, B2-2 (or B1-1-1), DF1, DF1, B2, DF1 EX, DB3 EX, 1, 1-2-2, FF4 (52%)

In order to get the B2 in after both axe swings (DF1s), it's important that you get the second DF1 in really quickly after the first DF1 so that your opponent gets launched higher in the air.

Also building upon your previous combo Voncroy:

JP, B2-2 (or B1-1-1), DF1, DF1, B2, DF1 EX, DB3 EX, 1, 1-2-2, FF4 (52%)

In order to get the B2 in after both axe swings (DF1s), it's important that you get the second DF1 in really quickly after the first DF1 so that your opponent gets launched higher in the air.
Going to try it on :hail:
I actually tried to do that combo with a choke finisher instead of a shoulder since it'd deal more damage that way but it's impossible to get near enough your opponent after enhanced lightning which doesn't really have a high pop-up effect. I am going to try that on, but I am pretty sure it's gonna work.

52% for 2 meters is still a kick ass combo! Although I am pretty sure it's impossible to do online due to lag...

OFFICIAL changes to Nightwolf's gameplay:

Nightwolf
• Nightwolf's reflect should work better as a wakeup attack.

Thank you Lord Jesus Christ even though I don't believe you at all!!! How annoying it was to even try to reflect projectiles as wake-ups, it was worthless because Nightwolf would simply absorb them with no life gain. I hope this time he DOES reflect them back!

Usually his reflect just wouldn't work. I've tried so many times to reflect an iceball on wake-up just to have my guy stand up and get frozen like an idiot.

Usually his reflect just wouldn't work. I've tried so many times to reflect an iceball on wake-up just to have my guy stand up and get frozen like an idiot.
Sub-Zeros LOOOVE to throw a ice ball when the opponent is down. But if you do reflect as wake-up, Nightwolf will merely absorb it with no life gain (like he does with Cyrax's net), he doesn't reflect the ice ball back to Sub-Zero.

If this does get better, then this is a great buff for Nightwolf. As we've seen in tournaments, like Evo, throwing a projectile after a combo string while the opponent is on the ground may decide a match completely. Sick and tired to try to reflect a low hat as wake-up and it happens NOTHING to the fricking hat. Now, let's see who will laugh this time...

Seems like it's easier to reflect stuff on wake-up now.

Easier 1 bar 44% combo:

JP, B1-1-1, DF1, B2, DF1 EX, DASH, 1, DASH, 1-2-2, FF4 (dashes might not be necessary).

This combo shortens the one you had initially posted Voncroy, in that instead of doing ... DF1, DF1, 1, DF1 EX ... you can use do ... DF1, B2, DF1 EX. I find that sometimes (especially lately, maybe I'm just out of practice) after the 2nd DF1 my guy just freezes up or won't input anymore axe swings or advanced jabs.

That B2 seems crucial in his combos. Not sure if it's a reset or not, but when you can fit in a B2 instead of a regular jab, the scaling seems to fall apart and the damage gets substantially larger.

The reason why I like to use 1 is because it's much faster than B2.

1 - 9 frames
B2 - 19 frames

As I can only play online I have to take advantage of his fastest pokes over his most damaging ones.

It's funny, the only string I don't use from Nightwolf is his 2, 3, 4 LOL

About Nightwolf's match-ups, there's been some controversy over this, but TO ME his bad match-ups are Kung Lao, Raiden, Kabal and Reptile for several reasons.

I personally do not agree with Kitana's match-up. People understimate Nightwolf's reflector and I have yet to see one NW player to use it right. Nightwolf can kill a Kitana zoner. Specially because a reflected fan allows you to counter-attack with a arrow (air) or a lightning (ground) and she'll eat 15% punish full-screen on that alone. Whoever played with my Nightwolf online (when I play with minimal lag), they know I will always throw a lightning after a reflected projectile on ground (or arrow if I reflect an air projectile). Even if they block their own projectile, they will eat a lightning no matter what. That's why against me, people don't use projectiles at all, save some situations. And Nightwolf can use a meter bar for enhanced shoulders. 16% free and you'll have armor.

The same for Sub-Zero. I'd give Sub-Zero a 5-5 match-up to Nightwolf now. I've been beaten by good Sub-Zero and defeated equally good Sub-Zeros. Nightwolf's corner game is almost as deadly as Sub-Zero, specially with his F3. F3, 1, 2, F3, 1, 2, shoulder deals over 35% alone and you can go on with F3, 1, axe swing for over 40% meterless punish. And you can grab, you can do his fast 1, 2, 2 (overhead) or low pokes for pressure followed by a shoulder. It's pretty sick what you can do with Nightwolf in the corner and you can even punish wake-ups ith F3 easily or do a safe B1, 1, 1, followed by shoulder again. Quite often I deal an amount of 70% damage by punishing my opponent who cannot simply get out of the corner. Not sure about post-patch though. Sub-Zeros won't do his ice ball, specially now Nightwolf can reflect it on wake-up. Slide is not as punishable, but his still doable. But I feel Sub-Zero's pressure and pokes can overcome Nightwolf a bit, a good Sub-Zero may be hard to beat.

I like using 2,3 cancelled into double axe. I find, for some reason, you can launch them higher in the air, as opposed to doing F3, 1, double axe.

I find, because of lag/negative edge, I tend to always connect his 2, 3 axe. The amount of times I go to do F3, 1 axe, and the string stops at the 1. Soooo frustrating...

Guys, I'm scared, please confirm me this.

So, I was playing today against this Kitana (fantastic Kitana I have to say). She beat me the first time and I won the next 9 following matches (she was a zoner, so you can tell I did a lot of reflectors, arrows and lightning, no way in hell I am going to rush down a Kitana). He also played Sub-Zero, whom I won for the three matches we play with almost no effort. Nightwolf's reflector works now WONDERFULY as wake-up, I am in Heaven, it got both Kitana and Sub-Zero by surprise. HOWEVER! - please, let this not be true - I was doing his B2, 2, axe swing which is his overhead and this player was ducking EVERYTIME and simply did not get hit. I had to shut my PS3 off once we were over, so I couldn't confirm this. Unless this dude knew that string, along with his 1, 2, 2, is an overhead and was standing while on screen he was ducking everytime, I am a bit scared they took Nightwolf's overhead game :/

I hope not, that overhead is a crucial part of my mix-up game (which Nightwolf lacks as you all know).
Does that mean the patch has come to PS3 at last? Because reflector as wake-up was never this efficient before, it's definately different.

Guys, I'm scared, please confirm me this.

So, I was playing today against this Kitana (fantastic Kitana I have to say). She beat me the first time and I won the next 9 following matches (she was a zoner, so you can tell I did a lot of reflectors, arrows and lightning, no way in hell I am going to rush down a Kitana). He also played Sub-Zero, whom I won for the three matches we play with almost no effort. Nightwolf's reflector works now WONDERFULY as wake-up, I am in Heaven, it got both Kitana and Sub-Zero by surprise. HOWEVER! - please, let this not be true - I was doing his B2, 2, axe swing which is his overhead and this player was ducking EVERYTIME and simply did not get hit. I had to shut my PS3 off once we were over, so I couldn't confirm this. Unless this dude knew that string, along with his 1, 2, 2, is an overhead and was standing while on screen he was ducking everytime, I am a bit scared they took Nightwolf's overhead game :/

I hope not, that overhead is a crucial part of my mix-up game (which Nightwolf lacks as you all know).
Does that mean the patch has come to PS3 at last? Because reflector as wake-up was never this efficient before, it's definately different.

He ws probably fuzzy guarding, who knows why as nw can be blocked standing all day.

When fuzzy guarding it doesn't appear in game as if you change your stance from crouch to stand or vice versa, but you actually do

Really wish Nightwolf had a better mixup game, and I wish some of his attacks were a bit faster. Find it to be quite difficult to stand toe to toe with certain players when they won't give you any distance.

Then again, every character needs to have some sort of weakness.

Really wish Nightwolf had a better mixup game, and I wish some of his attacks were a bit faster. Find it to be quite difficult to stand toe to toe with certain players when they won't give you any distance.

Then again, every character needs to have some sort of weakness.

Have you ever used his f3 string? That's his mixup game, sure it doesn't hit low but it has rediculous priority over attacks and its fast.

His d4 gives you crazy adavantage on hit as well. As a matter of fact if you connect with d4 and go into f3 1 string they MUST block or you get a full combo.

With a low combo starter I believe nw would be op. Feather tier.

Have you ever used his f3 string? That's his mixup game, sure it doesn't hit low but it has rediculous priority over attacks and its fast.

His d4 gives you crazy adavantage on hit as well. As a matter of fact if you connect with d4 and go into f3 1 string they MUST block or you get a full combo.

With a low combo starter I believe nw would be op. Feather tier.
I haven't used his F3 too much, I suppose I'll give it a try. I always found that it took a while for him to reach back and then stab. As he has his arm behind him bringing the knife forward, I seem to get jabbed or something. I'll try though.

And yeah, if he did have a low move he probably would be overpowered. Just frustrating sometimes when you can't get any combos going. Nightwolf is very easy to read really. Once you recognize his combo starters you just have to sit and block. Then you have a character like Kitana who has basically zero recorvery time between blocked combos and can just go to town on you until you decide to unblock.

f3, 1 is god,

ive picked up nw recently and id like to share combos i use frequently online with nw

jip, f3, 1, hatchet, b2, 2, hatchet, shoulder/ 36% (ez midscreen)
jip, f3, 1, hatchet, dash 1 dash 1 dash 1 dash 1, 2, 2, shoulder/ 34% (corner placer)
jip, f3, 1, hatchet, b2, 2, x-ray/ 49% (ez x ray)
edit:
jip, f3, 1, hatchet, b2, ex hatchet, b2, choke/ 43% (1 bar kombo)
jip, f3, 1, hatchet, b2, hatchet, f3, 1, 2, d2/ 45% (corner kombo)

@Voncroy you said you cant punish mils teleport?, i just use f3, 1 hatchet, shoulder for 19%. Maybe this could help you too.

Last edited: