Nightwolf Thread - "Ancestors Give Me Strength"

Bnbs for my nightwolf
Just started using him last night with Melina.

Jp b1 1 df1 b2 df1 ff4 35%

Jp b1 1 df1 b2 arrow ff4 35%

Jp b1 1 df1 b2 ex ax dash choke 40%

Jp b1 1 df1 dash b2 X-ray 50%

Jp b1 1 df1 b2 ex ax ex lightning 1 dash 1 ff4 47%

Unbelievable how Nightwolf is so underrated. Yet, he's my main.

Nightwolf is by essence a defensive character, however, when you counter-attack, be sure you use Nightwolf's combo potential to destroy your opponent. Nightwolf is one of those characters you don't want to get caught in one of his combos since he hasn't be nerfed (nor does he need to) and his combos are so diverse and so easily linked together that you'll have to use lots of breakers. However, Nightwolf is arguably one of the hardest characters to master due to his defensive nature and his difficulty to start a successful combo (he doesn't enjoy the wonders of a spear, ice ball or a scream). So, you have to play very wisely with Nightwolf to time his defense and his counter-attacks. I would not advise an offensive game for Nightwolf since the only true offensive move in his arsenal is his shoulder, which can be pretty punishable if your opponent has experience one his side.

In terms of special moves, Nightwolf is probably one of the most balanced characters in the game. Every single special move and its respective enhanced versions are great for many specific situations, none is unecessary.

Nightwolf's special moves:

Shoulder: great for pressure game, for ending a combo and specially for wake-up attacks. The most versatile move in Nightwolf's arsenal.

Lightning: dangerous for distant pressure since it's unblockable, when you do a successful shoulder against your opponent and he is far in the opposite side of the screen, time your lightning and he will be easily hit, Nightwolf's lightning is also great for lazy opponents who just stay there blocking. This move cannot start a combo, nor be linked into one.

Arrow Shot: Nightwolf's projectile, good for zoning and also for ending a combo (which I do not advise since his shoulder and choke are much better options for that matter).

Reflect: Nightwolf's Holy Graal gameplay-wise, if you know how and when to use it, you're fearsome, since it instantly reflects most projectiles in the game.

Axe Swing: perfect combo-starter and perfect anti-air, this move is the basis of most Nightwolf's combos.

Choke: the most powerful option for ending a combo (9% for shoulder, 11% for choke), but you have to time when to use it correctly.

Nightwolf's enhanced special moves:

Power Charge (also know as "double shoulder"): unlike the regular shoulder, power charge has a two hit damage and works full-screen with armor. Perfect for wake-up attacks and for getting close to spammers, also good for ending a combo for more damage percentage.

Thunder Storm: unlike lightning, thunder storm is a perfect combo start due to its pop-up effect, do not use it if your opponent is far from you, but only when you know you can catch him near you.

Multi-Arrow: while it can be used for ending a combo, it's better used as a more powerful replacement to the regular arrows from the opposite side of the screen since it's impossible for your opponent to avoid it both in the air or in the ground, it can be deadly for deciding a match.

Absorb: one of the best enhanced moves in the game, Nightwolf can literally gain life bar (between 5%-10%) for each time he uses it. Use it wisely.

Tomahawk Dash: simply the most deadly of Nightwolf's enhanced moves, you can abuse it for 3 times, it not only has a pop-up effect and leaves your opponent wide open for more combos, as it is truly devastating damage-wise. Note that once you do the third tomahawk dash, there's not pop-up effect and the combo ends there.

Strangle: a substitute to the regular choke but more devasting (choke = 12%, strangle = 16%), it is the best enhanced special move for finishing a combo if your opponent is falling near you, it's even more powerful than power charge itself.

1 - square
2 - triangle
3 - X
4 - circle
B - back
F - forward
J - jump
D - down
P - punch
K - kick

Nightwolf has a lot of combo variety to choose, but I will put my favourite ones here. Have in mind that Nightwolf has a lot of choices combo-wise, you can easily mix up his special moves.

Great basic combos:

F+2, choke (2 hits) - 12%, fantastic because it's pretty fast and unexpected.

F+3, B+4 (2 hits) - 11%, the only low combo in Nightwolf arsenal, use it wisely.

These are my two favourite most basic combos from Nightwolf because they're useful for several situations. The first choice (F+2, choke) is perfect for fast characters because the move itself is pretty fast and the second choice (F+3, B+4) is great for putting pressure on opponents who don't defend low specially when they do a wake-up attack.

Favourite easy combos (meterless):

Mid-screen: 1, 1, axe swing, choke (5 hits) - 21%, combo start with JP = 24%, (6 hits)

Mid-screen: B+1, 1, axe swing, axe swing, shoulder - 26%, combo start with JP = 30% (8 hits)

Corner: 1, 1, axe swing, B+2, 2, 1 (6 hits) - 25%, combo start with JP = 29% (7 hits)

Nightwolf is a great character to start a combo with JP, hence why I added the damage value in case you choose that combo option. Most of Nightwolf's meterless combos are 20%-30%, so learning them is totally worth it and they are pretty easy to do if you time them well. Feel free with to use his variety of specials to ending a combo in different ways.

Favourite complex combo (1-3 meter bars)

Mid-screen 1 bar: lightning EX., axe swing, dash, 1, shoulder - 21% (4 hits)

Mid-screen 2 bars: B+1, 1, axe swing, axe swing EX., axe swing, shoulder EX. - 37% (10 hits), combo start with JP = 40% (11 hits)

Corner 3 bars: B+1, 1, axe swing, axe swing EX., axe swing EX., choke EX. - 43% (13 hits), combo start with JP = 46% (14 hits)

There are sooo many options for meter combos for Nightwolf that would be insane to put them all here. Use a simple combo that requires the axe swing + axe swing EX., then you can end the combo with the enhanced versions of his various special moves such as choke or shoulder or even arrow shut. It's up to you to decide that. The damage power will most likely be 30%-40%!!!

Favourite x-ray combo:
Corner: B+1, 1, axe swing, axe swing, 1, x-ray - 48% (10 hits), combo start with JP = 51% (11 hits)

Nightwolf's x-ray: 34% (3 hits)

In my modest opinion, it's not worth using Nightwolf's x-ray unless in very specific situations where you have to end a close-up match. You can do easy and more complex combos which may require 1-2 meter bars that will do a lot more damage than 34% and you still get 1 meter bar for future breakers. I only use Nightwolf's corner x-ray I wrote above, preferably with a jump punch starter, since I can easily do a damage over 50% in my opponent's life bar, which in my - again - modest opinion is great. And, mostly, this x-ray combo situation is perfectly doable.

FANTASTIC post. I've copied and pasted it so I can print it out. Given you rep points too.

Bnbs for my nightwolf
Just started using him last night with Melina.

Jp b1 1 df1 b2 df1 ff4 35%

Jp b1 1 df1 b2 arrow ff4 35%

Jp b1 1 df1 b2 ex ax dash choke 40%

Jp b1 1 df1 dash b2 X-ray 50%

Jp b1 1 df1 b2 ex ax ex lightning 1 dash 1 ff4 47%

i prefer to start with either 1,2,2, or b2,2, or sometimes f3,1 (f3 is very fast)

so my bnb looks like this 1,2,2, hatchet, b2, hatchet, dash, 1 , dash 1,2,2, shoulder - i think its 40 or 41% (with jump in)

also, this combo Jp b1 1 df1 b2 ex ax dash choke 40%. after you ex hatchet, instead of dashing just hit b2 then choke and its 44%

myself i dont like to use meter in my combos, after they land you can throw out a ex lighting and then a shoulder and i think it is like 18% damage so you get the initial 40% combo then a 18% follow up which is insane dmg

Gosh, that post is sooo old :p

Btw, I also wrote the potential of his F+2 too. F+2 is a fantastic unlockable combo starter that most people overlook for some reason. I believe it is in page 2. Check it out. If you hit your opponent with F+2 (12% damage alone I believe), you can do a lightning or enhanced lightning and your opponent won't be able to avoid it, it's a 100% safe combo starter and 100% safe on recovery too if blocked.

Those combos I posted are his simplest and most doable online. Nightwolf can do way more than that but due to lag it gets nearly impossible to juggle with Nightwolf online with dash punch or with his fantastic overhead starter: 1, 2, 2, axe swing - this combo starter is IMPOSSIBLE for me due to negative edge BUH! :|

Gosh, that post is sooo old :p

Btw, I also wrote the potential of his F+2 too. F+2 is a fantastic unlockable combo starter that most people overlook for some reason. I believe it is in page 2. Check it out. If you hit your opponent with F+2 (12% damage alone I believe), you can do a lightning or enhanced lightning and your opponent won't be able to avoid it, it's a 100% safe combo starter and 100% safe on recovery too if blocked.

Those combos I posted are his simplest and most doable online. Nightwolf can do way more than that but due to lag it gets nearly impossible to juggle with Nightwolf online with dash punch or with his fantastic overhead starter: 1, 2, 2, axe swing - this combo starter is IMPOSSIBLE for me due to negative edge BUH! :|

For the longest time I've over looked his f+2 shenanigans and I'm really glad that I started to use it, its awesome and has great range due to the lunge.

With his 122 starter sometimes the negative edge messes you up and you will throw out a choke instead, but I found that if you wait just before he swings his axe to hit df1 then it will work every time :)

I agree that lag limits you somewhat, I can only do his b2 ax combo in a 1v1 situation, never king of the hill, however instead of b2 axe if you just hit 2 then axe the enemy will go higher and then its easier to do tghe dash 1, I think itgs only a 1 or 2% difference in dmg so that's what I use in koth

Love nightwolf

The greatest thing about F+2 is that your oponent cannot jump for a while and you HAVE to do lightning. It is a safe string for Nightwolf, I am sure NRS designed F+2 for that purpose. F+2 and lightning damages alone over 20%, F+2 and enhanced lightning opens a variety of combo possibilities for him. The unblockable nature of Nightwolf's lightning is pure gold with F+2.

However, the negative edge is too awful with Nightwolf. I'm not kidding. Today, I played over 50 matches online and countless times I was trying an uppercut after someone's special and Nightwolf would do reflector for no reason! This happened a lot today! It just pisses me off :/ I gave up 1, 2, 2 string online because of this shit. Online in MK9 is nearly unbearable for me at times...

You know Voncroy, it's funny you mention it because I printed out your post as I mentioned and worked with Nightwolf a LOT last night with friends (and a little practice mode). In practice mode, I had a few of the different combos down pat. I could do them while not even looking at the screen.

We get online and I don't think I hit one of the full combos the entire night. I would hit the buttons the same way, but they just wouldn't follow through.

I will say however, that my play has already improved a great deal just from a little work and know how from your tips. I'm going to keep working with him!

What I wrote there about Nightwolf was the basics of his gameplay. People want to know juggles but sometimes the basic combos are the most valuable online in my opinion. You can go crazy with his combos, but I prefer to keep it simple and explain the mechanics of his chains and specials. You can already do 20%-40% combos with him pretty easily and Nightwolf is an extremely versatile character, hence why he's always in the top tier lists...

Another great thing:
1, 2, 2 (or B2, 2) is a overhead starter.
F+3, B+4 is a low basic combo.

These two combos are great for rush-down. For example, when I generally do a shoulder against my opponent, what I usually do is I rush towards him and do one of those two combos above. If you do the low combo, it is a free hit you gain over your opponent (you can jump over him and start a combo with JP) and then when the opponent tends to defend low, do the overhead for juggling (B2, 2, axe swing and so on). This kind of mind games are great and it's been very effective online for me. Obviously you have to watch out for dangerous wake-up attacks such as Ermac's, but for that you have block button...

I love that Nightwolf is not broken, nor cheap, and you can barely spam with him (apart from his shoulder which is very punishable). You have to know how to play this character to be pretty effective and that's why Nightwolf fits my style. He's defensive, ofensive, he can zone, he can anti-zone, he can rush, he has great wake-up attacks (shoulder, or enhanced shoulder or enhanced choke both having armor), he can gain health from specials (ABSORB!!!), overall a good and a pretty solid character to master IMO

Agreed on your points. I feel he has a large set of tools but tools take actual work to be productive with. He can play any style of game too which I love - especially being able to counter effectively.

Didn't know that the enhanced choke had armor - another solid piece of info.

I actually didn't put that information about enhanced choke because that was a buff Nightwolf had in the most recent patch. I can confirm it on gameplay. Enhanced choke is his most powerful special damage-wise (over 16% damage I believe), so a armor for wake-up is GOLD!

The best thing about this is Nightwolf is a great anti-rush character too. The best way to finish pressure from someone is to pull the oponent away from you and most characters in MK9 are simply not able to do it. Nightwolf however has three choices:

- Shoulder or enhanced shouler - hits hard and pushes the opponent to the other side of the screen. Very hard to punish on block, very hard to punish enhanced shoulder with duck + uppercut.

- Enhanced choke - has armor and pushes the opponent far away from you too, but it can be blocked. Use it for characters like Liu Kang who keeps juggling even when you're on the ground since even if he hits you low, enhanced choke will still grab him (an advantage that enhanced shoulder doesn't seem to have).

He is a character where every special and enhanced special move he has are all worth using in a match, something that most characters cannot be proud of. Also, every single enhanced move from Nightwolf has different proprities from his normal special moves apart from higher damage, which I adore. It's like he has 12 specials moves...

See, didn't know that regarding the recent patch.

The more you write, the more I'm glad I've started to work with NW more. I used him when the game first released but then got away from him. Now I'm all about him again. :)

Yeah, each patch brings something new.

Enhanced shoulder actually gained armor too. For example, if a Cyrax throws you a net, you can do enhanced shoulder to hit him and having armor the net won't catch Nightwolf and he'll go right through it. A bit similar to Johnny Cage's enhanced shadow kick. A great anti-zoner tool IMO

Yeah, each patch brings something new.

Enhanced shoulder actually gained armor too. For example, if a Cyrax throws you a net, you can do enhanced shoulder to hit him and having armor the net won't catch Nightwolf and he'll go right through it. A bit similar to Johnny Cage's enhanced shadow kick. A great anti-zoner tool IMO

Again, had no idea. I figured the net would always get me. In fact, was playing my buddy the other night who uses Cyrax and told him that my wake up shoulder sucks against Cyrax due to the net.

Fantastic!

Cyrax players are spoiled little brats. I actually learnt to beat them quite efficiently and they all rage online LOL there was even one dude last night who sent me a message and called me spammer because I was doing enhanced shoulder (which requires 1 meter bar) to pass through his net and as wake-up attack, how in the world can I spam a move that requires 1 meter bar??? You can pretty much expect anything from scrub Cyrax players, they all play the same and do the same plastic combos over and over and think they're awesome at this game. I hope they patch him again to be honest...

Thank lord Nightwolf was buffed in terms of special moves with armor, Cyrax was a real bad match-up for Nightwolf before, now they're even.

Funny I was just listening to Tom Brady's interview about MK9 and the status of its characters. Now I know he's not the end all of MK information, but he certainly knows more than I ever will. Being an average player who just plays with friends, I had no idea Cyrax was so broken. Wow.

Thankfully, me and my friends can win and lose with any character as we're not at that level. :laugh:

Back to Nightwolf, the info you've provided is fantastic and I appreciate it greatly. I'm actually excited to try the enhanced choke next time I play.

Funny I was just listening to Tom Brady's interview about MK9 and the status of its characters. Now I know he's not the end all of MK information, but he certainly knows more than I ever will. Being an average player who just plays with friends, I had no idea Cyrax was so broken. Wow.

Thankfully, me and my friends can win and lose with any character as we're not at that level. :laugh:

Back to Nightwolf, the info you've provided is fantastic and I appreciate it greatly. I'm actually excited to try the enhanced choke next time I play.

link? i dont take his word for gospel either but its always entertaining to watch and see where your own experiences/opinions fall in relation

Believe me, Cyrax was a pain in the ass before and he still is and even now many of my defeats are against fantastic Cyrax players, even though I beat them too, it's 50-50. At the hands of a great gamer, Cyrax is deadly and you have to sweat to beat the hell crap of him with Nightwolf, he has the tools to defeat Cyrax, but the fact Cyrax can do a full 50% combo with only 1 meter is a huge advantage, with Nightwolf online, the best I can do is a 35% corner combo (meterless) and 45% combo (2 meters). All it takes for Cyrax to start his 50% combo is a net. I actually tend to use enhanced reflector when Cyrax throws me the net and I gain 10% of life - it is always a match decider for me (wasting 1 bar for 10% of life is worthwile if you still have meter saved for breakers). I have to save meter for breaker 'cause Cyrax combo-wise can be even more dangerous than Kung Lao and Raiden.

For Cyrax use meter for: breakers, enhanced shoulder (when he throws bombs and net, Cyrax is vulnerable) and enhanced reflector (absorb). Try to rush Cyrax because he's more deadly full-screen when he can throw you bombs and net to leave you vulnerable, Nightwolf is at advantage at close fight with Cyrax. It's really the only way to catch him (even if he blocks your combos, it's a great way to build meter, I hear cristicism to Nightwolf that he lacks mix-ups so they just stand there blocking - what those people don't realize is that's the whole point of Nightwolf gameplay, we need to build meter and it's faster if the opponent blocks - B1, 1, 1 if blocked can increase 75% of 1 meter bar!)

link? i dont take his word for gospel either but its always entertaining to watch and see where your own experiences/opinions fall in relation

He rambles a bit which drives me nuts. But here is his two part about it. If you listen for a while he talks about Kung Lao, Cyrax, and why Sub has been nerfed too much for tournament play.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iTBWtMQ7T4Y&feature=player_embedded

Believe me, Cyrax was a pain in the ass before and he still is and even now many of my defeats are against fantastic Cyrax players, even though I beat them too, it's 50-50. At the hands of a great gamer, Cyrax is deadly and you have to sweat to beat the hell crap of him with Nightwolf, he has the tools to defeat Cyrax, but the fact Cyrax can do a full 50% combo with only 1 meter is a huge advantage, with Nightwolf online, the best I can do is a 35% corner combo (meterless) and 45% combo (2 meters). All it takes for Cyrax to start his 50% combo is a net. I actually tend to use enhanced reflector when Cyrax throws me the net and I gain 10% of life - it is always a match decider for me (wasting 1 bar for 10% of life is worthwile if you still have meter saved for breakers). I have to save meter for breaker 'cause Cyrax combo-wise can be even more dangerous than Kung Lao and Raiden.

For Cyrax use meter for: breakers, enhanced shoulder (when he throws bombs and net, Cyrax is vulnerable) and enhanced reflector (absorb). Try to rush Cyrax because he's more deadly full-screen when he can throw you bombs and net to leave you vulnerable, Nightwolf is at advantage at close fight with Cyrax. It's really the only way to catch him (even if he blocks your combos, it's a great way to build meter, I hear cristicism to Nightwolf that he lacks mix-ups so they just stand there blocking - what those people don't realize is that's the whole point of Nightwolf gameplay, we need to build meter and it's faster if the opponent blocks - B1, 1, 1 if blocked can increase 75% of 1 meter bar!)

Thank you again Von. I'm really appreciating all of this.

I do have a question. I was messing around in practice last night and testing out the combo where he does the shin kick into the stomach stab (apologize as I can't remember the buttons). The weird thing is that the hit where it looks like he steps on their foot/kicks their shin to start a combo is listed as a "high" hit. Is that right?

Yup, F3 is a high combo-starter, even though the way he steps is clearly a low. I think they didn't want to give Nightwolf a low starter because he already is a high/top tier, there was no need to improve him any better on that field.

Yup, F3 is a high combo-starter, even though the way he steps is clearly a low. I think they didn't want to give Nightwolf a low starter because he already is a high/top tier, there was no need to improve him any better on that field.

BS I say!

:laugh:

Although I've even caught my friends blocking low because it looks so low which is pretty funny. Add to that his enhanced hatchet which is low/high and he clearly has options.