Challenge #300 Broken, Other Tower Bugs

TerryMasters

This is my first time doing the Challenge Tower, and I noticed some bugs along the way. I'd already posted a few of them in an existing thread but didn't realize it was located in the spoilers forum, so I thought it might be a good idea to have one general discussion about tower bugs without revealing anything.

Firstly, here's what I had originally posted:

"...a lot of bugs seem to pop up after #231 - where tasks are completed but the gameplay continues for a good ten or so seconds (lifebars included) before spontaneously ending, and another bug with Ermac that may be a serious gameplay issue:

During challenge #275, I called for Ermac's X-Ray but missed, and got hit. Somehow the missed X-Ray animation continued, and Goro was able to attack me while I was forced to wait for the animation to finish. If this same glitch is discovered to happen against a regular playable character, it could be a serious blow to Ermac. I also had a problem with Sub in #293, where numerous times throughout the match the X and Y buttons were swapped."

But as far as #300 is concerned, there are two problems I've come across:

Everyone knows the trick to enable health regen in the last challenge, but some people feel it's cheating. I have reason to believe that this isn't an exploit, but actually a way of tricking the game into fixing the real bug - that health regen is missing when you retry. It's documented (and personally confirmed by myself) that the first time you attempt the challenge health regen is intact, so why this would be intentionally disabled on a retry just doesn't add up. From what I can tell when using this trick, there doesn't seem to be any difference in difficulty that you wouldn't normally see when retrying a challenge.

I'm also noticing a blocking problem on 300 when fighting Mileena - using Johnny Cage playing normally all the way through, blocking will sometimes randomly trigger a breaker when it's not supposed to. This is personally crippling my ability to complete 300 as I can no longer build up an X-Ray to use on Shao Kahn.

Can anyone else here confirm these issues? Again this was the 360 version using default/unchanged control settings. (If this should infact be in the spoilers forum, then forgive my posting it here!)

I don't recall having those issue's, it did freeze up on one of the challenges I forget what number but it was the one where your arms fell off if your health bar went below half, and that's about where it froze.

Does anyone notice Mileena having an issue with skipping in her speach right before her fight? (so by skipping I mean like your CD gets caught in a section and just repeats it over and over and over again w/o moving on)

I've noticed several times she'll start skipping midway through her intro and not say everything she says, but the fight itself starts normally. No actually video glitch either, its all audio.

I've also had issue on some fights performing the X-Ray when it doesn't specifically say they are disabled. OP not sure if this is what you're referring to or not but it's almost like they put their hands up like Liu Kang's perry (but w/o the fire) but never perform the X-Ray. They don't get stuck there for me, its just like they wig our for half a second. Its sort of like they look like they're trying to block, but it isn't the block animation, its a different one. I've had problems on more than a few challenges on this, but I just quit trying to perform the X-Ray and beat it w/o it. Not sure if that is what you're referring to but if so I've experienced it on roughly a handful of challenges that I recall (though I can't point to specific ones).

Anyone else experience this?

Does anyone notice Mileena having an issue with skipping in her speach right before her fight? (so by skipping I mean like your CD gets caught in a section and just repeats it over and over and over again w/o moving on)

I've noticed several times she'll start skipping midway through her intro and not say everything she says, but the fight itself starts normally. No actually video glitch either, its all audio.

I've also had issue on some fights performing the X-Ray when it doesn't specifically say they are disabled. OP not sure if this is what you're referring to or not but it's almost like they put their hands up like Liu Kang's perry (but w/o the fire) but never perform the X-Ray. They don't get stuck there for me, its just like they wig our for half a second. Its sort of like they look like they're trying to block, but it isn't the block animation, its a different one. I've had problems on more than a few challenges on this, but I just quit trying to perform the X-Ray and beat it w/o it. Not sure if that is what you're referring to but if so I've experienced it on roughly a handful of challenges that I recall (though I can't point to specific ones).

Anyone else experience this?

I noticed the issue audio issue with Mileena as well. I wonder if it's an issue specific to Challenge #300 or her costume. I noticed with Sonya's alternate costume, when she wins without a finisher, the audio clip "Mission accomplished" can't be heard.

From my experience, beating Mileena will carry on a status effect (such as no blocking), and last through the entire round against Shao Kahn. I'm not sure if that is intentional or a bug.

Last edited:
I noticed the issue audio issue with Mileena as well. I wonder if it's an issue specific to Challenge #300 or her costume. I noticed with Sonya's alternate costume, when she wins without a finisher, the audio clip "Mission accomplished" can't be heard.

From my experience, beating Mileena while have a status effect (such as no blocking), it lasts through the entire round against Shao Kahn. I'm not sure if that is intentional or a bug.

I am SO glad that you mentioned this, I knew there was something I forgot.

This third glitch that's cost me challenge #300 numerous times is the fact that powerups/disablers can sometimes be in effect even though the icon is missing. Going up against Mileena with blocking disabled and having no idea about it sucks, royally. I'm not sure if it's a carryover issue where it's coming from the previous round and the icon goes missing on account of Mileena's entrance, but I can't rule out the possibility. Personally everytime this has happened to me it did fix itself after a few seconds, but you're still going into a match unknowingly handicapped.

I know you commented on my thread but just to add it to this thread:

mission 273: you have to hit Shang Tsung 30 times as Ermac

I got in 29 hits in and he turned into Ermac, I did another hit and it said "successful" but, he got back up and kept attacking. When he turned back to Shang Tsung, I hit him again and he fell over and I got challenge completed.

I assume you have to hit him 30 times as shang tsung but if you hit him as someone else, the counter counts it but the match doesn't? lol

On other bugs:
I have had the Mileena Dialogue skipping bug on Mission 300.

This third glitch that's cost me challenge #300 numerous times is the fact that powerups/disablers can sometimes be in effect even though the icon is missing. Going up against Mileena with blocking disabled and having no idea about it sucks, royally. I'm not sure if it's a carryover issue where it's coming from the previous round and the icon goes missing on account of Mileena's entrance, but I can't rule out the possibility. Personally everytime this has happened to me it did fix itself after a few seconds, but you're still going into a match unknowingly handicapped.

On challenge #300, I noticed that Kintaro's health would continue to regen well after the buff had already expired, making it nearly impossible to beat him with a turtle tactic. This would happen at random and wasn't a carryover scenario. It would only happen on Kintaro, too.

I know you commented on my thread but just to add it to this thread:

mission 273: you have to hit Shang Tsung 30 times as Ermac

I got in 29 hits in and he turned into Ermac, I did another hit and it said "successful" but, he got back up and kept attacking. When he turned back to Shang Tsung, I hit him again and he fell over and I got challenge completed.

I assume you have to hit him 30 times as shang tsung but if you hit him as someone else, the counter counts it but the match doesn't? lol

On other bugs:
I have had the Mileena Dialogue skipping bug on Mission 300.

I think after the 30th hit, you need to kill him for it to count. If you hit him 30 times in the face and he kills you afterwards, you have to restart. I believe his morphing dosen't play a role in this.