I Need a bit of help with the whole Koncept of mortal kombat ( i am terrible)

DoomtrainUK

i havent played MK since the first playstation rendition, and i havent ever been good at fighting games maybe because i just never put the time in

but im having trouble piecing together all the different aspects of kombat, yesterday i spent an hour repeatedly practicing one 4 button combo, the next day i have completely forgotten it, i even forget 3 button combos within seconds of looking at them, is there any tips for learning such things?

i also cant work out how chain combos work? are they where you chain the kombo attacks? single attacks? usually i just get frustrated and give up but i dont want to do that with MK,

conversely my friend who also doesent play fighting games just handed my ass to me and was performing complex combinations after a very short amount of time

one word,practice.It will all become muscle memory after a while.If you want a practice partner pm me,i have it for both ps3 and 360.Also the training mode will help as far as getting the combos down.Also keep mixing it up,you can discover little combos that work best for you.

I remember a while ago a friend of mine didn't know the PS3's controller button layout and wanted to pull off combos like that.
He's doesn't have a lot of patience, is dislecxic and got easily frustrated when practicing in-game.

I told him "Just pickup your controller while you watch TV with the PS3 off. Just pick up combo move lists and do them repeatedly over and over until you can do them without even thinking about it while you watch your favorite program."

It worked. He could naturally pulloff 4 and 5 buttons combos in-game after just a few hours of "TV training". Muscle memory kicked in after a few fights.
The other problem was the rest of the fighting mechanism that he had to learn, but it was the easy part for him. :)

Custom Chains vs Custom Juggles

First you gotta take this idea out of your head: MK9 doesn't have custom chains. It's all pre-programmed chains. You can find the list of these "generic chains" in the menu of training mode (move list). But you don't have to memorize all of them. Just the ones that you find are the most useful or more damaging. Usually the best chains are the ones that launch the opponent in the air because you can continue to combo afterward and deal much more damage.

Cancels

You can cancel a normal into a special. But not all normals can be canceled however. Only if the normal is part of a kombo but not ending it. For example, if you character has this chain: 1, 1, 2. And you want to link a special move after it, you can but you have to cancel the chain before it ends. So in other words, you can't do: 1, 1, 2 xx special. But you could do: 1, 1 xx special or 1 xx special.

Universal Launcher

Neutral jump + punch is a generic launcher that every character has. It makes the opponent pop up into the air in a juggle state, which means you can hit him again before they land. If you have trouble doing complicated combos you could simply dash and uppercut. Uppercut does a lot of damage and is simple to do for newbies. Then when you get more comfortable and you feel your execution has improved you can try more flashy juggles.

The secret to creating big flashy combos is this:

1. Learn your launcher chain. (it will be listed in the move list, you just gotta find the one that pops the opponent into the air). Sometimes it's a single attack and not a chain though.

2. Learn your juggle chain (could be a simple fp, fp or bk or the exact same one as before)

3. Find out which ender does the most damage and cancel your juggle chain into that special.

That's all there is to it. Some character combos are harder to do because they require quick dash cancels but Reptile isn't one of them.

Since we're talking about Reptile:

His BnB launcher is: 1, 2, 2 xx force ball. You can then juggle with 1 xx slow force ball or 3, 2, 1. And then finally finish with Slide, Acid Hand or Spit.

So in the corner he can go: 1, 2, 2 xx fast force ball, 3, 2, 1 xx slow force ball, 3, 2 xx EX slide or X-Ray.

OR: 1, 2, 2 xx acid hand, 3, 2, 1 xx fast force ball, 1, 1 xx invisible.

OR: 3, 2, 1 xx acid hand, 3, 2, 1 xx EX acid hand, 1, 2, 2, 1 xx EX slide.

etc. etc. etc.

You could also end it with X-ray, invisible, a jump kick, an uppercut or sweep. Basically, you don't have control over chains but you do have control over juggles. You decide what you like best and what you find easier and more consistent to do.

Last edited:
one word,practice.It will all become muscle memory after a while.If you want a practice partner pm me,i have it for both ps3 and 360.Also the training mode will help as far as getting the combos down.Also keep mixing it up,you can discover little combos that work best for you.

i have to disagree with this one. practice mode is the place to create combos but the complex elongated combos you see in these vids are not illustrated in the moves list. i give all respect, and cant fathom, as to how these people figure out these combos. i sit there everyday trying different button sequences trying to extend the combos listed in the moves list.

the chianed combos in this game are literally impossible to remember for just one character. if i had any advise, close that moves list and just start experimenting on your own. when you find a character that meets your natural button commands and it isnt a migraine to remember, start working with that one.

some people are just better at fighting games. their minds absorb the button command world quicker than you and i. thank goodness they suck balls at fps games.

ive tried liu kang and he seems like a good starter, his speed seems to help me string different attacks together while they are still in my head im a little bit better, seems its just a case of fighting through the (complete noob) phase of being a kombatant

osuuu!

Dude, if you spent an hour practicing a 4 button combo, then forgot it after, I think you have some memory issues to deal with and not MK issues.

Either way, its all about practice, but an hour's worth of anything should drill that into your head for a while.

Dude, if you spent an hour practicing a 4 button combo, then forgot it after, I think you have some memory issues to deal with and not MK issues.

Either way, its all about practice, but an hour's worth of anything should drill that into your head for a while.

well yes im talking about a move such as > x, y, > b ..the movements make it harder to remember, but yes i do have bad short term memory, but very good long term memory, maybe il never forget the moves once ive learned them, ever

It depends on it you learn the quickest way by doing it physically, listening to it or writing it down.

If you learn better from auditory then read out the commands or get someone else to read them out for you. (A little awkward, lol)
If you learn better visually write down the commands repeatedly and this should help you memorize them.
If you learn better kinetically (physically doing it) then just practice doing the commands on the controller over and over again until you get them into your head.

People all learn best in different ways.